Israel Turns Gaza ‘Yellow Line’ into Deadly Boundary

Palestinians carry the body of a person killed in an Israeli military strike as they arrive at Shifa Hospital in Gaza City, Friday, Dec. 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Yousef Al Zanoun)
Palestinians carry the body of a person killed in an Israeli military strike as they arrive at Shifa Hospital in Gaza City, Friday, Dec. 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Yousef Al Zanoun)
TT

Israel Turns Gaza ‘Yellow Line’ into Deadly Boundary

Palestinians carry the body of a person killed in an Israeli military strike as they arrive at Shifa Hospital in Gaza City, Friday, Dec. 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Yousef Al Zanoun)
Palestinians carry the body of a person killed in an Israeli military strike as they arrive at Shifa Hospital in Gaza City, Friday, Dec. 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Yousef Al Zanoun)

Israel has effectively turned the “yellow line” marked on the Gaza withdrawal map, part of a phased pullback agreed under the October ceasefire, into a de facto firing line, where approaching civilians are routinely shot, according to Palestinian officials, underscoring a widening pattern of Israeli violations of the truce.

Gaza’s health ministry and other local authorities report almost daily at least one fatal shooting near the line, whether in the north or south of the enclave, with fewer incidents in central Gaza. The highest number of cases has been recorded in the south.

Over the past 24 hours, from Thursday afternoon to Friday, four Palestinians, including a woman, were killed in the town of Bani Suheila, east of Khan Younis in southern Gaza, after repeated attacks on people trying to reach their homes. Most of the town lies at least 200 meters from the yellow line defined under the ceasefire.

Medical teams, civil defense crews and even international organizations were unable to retrieve the bodies, which remained on the ground, similar to cases reported previously.

Field sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that Israeli forces first shot and killed a woman. When a young man tried to recover her body, he was also killed. Two others were then shot dead while attempting to reach the bodies.

The sources said the number of casualties is rising due to ongoing violations around the yellow line, which Israeli forces have deliberately advanced further into Gaza.

This has caused confusion among residents trying to access what remains of their homes, areas they had previously reached safely before the line was moved deeper into the enclave.

Israel has effectively turned the yellow line into a “death trap,” the sources said, adding that most of those killed there were shot from a distance of at least 200 meters.

Nearly 400 Palestinians have been killed since the ceasefire came into force on Oct. 10 as a result of Israeli violations.

At least 220 were killed in airstrikes carried out during several major military escalations that included targeted killings of armed Palestinian faction members in homes, vehicles or gatherings.

Israel said those attacks were in response to Palestinian violations of the ceasefire, including shooting incidents in Rafah and elsewhere.

Most of the remaining deaths, about 150, resulted from gunfire and drone strikes or artillery shelling targeting Palestinians who approached the yellow line. Others were killed by unexploded ordnance or from complications related to earlier injuries.

Israel continues daily violations of the ceasefire through airstrikes, demolitions and live fire on both sides of the yellow line.

An Israeli security official told the Hebrew-language newspaper Israel Hayom on Thursday that the yellow line is now considered the new border and that Israel will not withdraw from it unless Hamas is disarmed.

The official said Israeli forces are preparing to remain there for an open period, allowing them to control roughly half of Gaza’s territory and impose new security arrangements. He added that any withdrawal would depend on political decisions determining the next phase.

A meeting is due to be held on Friday in Miami between the US president’s Middle East envoy, Steve Witkoff, and officials from Egypt, Qatar and Türkiye to discuss Gaza, including ceasefire violations and the second phase of the truce.

Hamas hopes the talks will lead to an end to the violations. Senior Hamas official Bassem Naim told AFP that Palestinians expect the participants to agree on stopping what he described as ongoing Israeli rampages, halting all violations and obliging Israel to adhere to the Sharm el-Sheikh agreement.

Hamas sources in Gaza told Asharq Al-Awsat that the movement and other Palestinian factions are counting on mediators to persuade the United States to pressure Israel to halt violations, allow the entry of aid including tents and prefabricated housing, begin genuine reconstruction and fully comply with humanitarian commitments under the agreement.

The sources said restraining Israel must be more effective on the part of Washington and the guarantor mediators to allow progress toward the second phase of the deal, warning that continued Israeli backtracking on the first phase could derail the next stage.

Humanitarian conditions

On the humanitarian front, the World Health Organization said more than 1,000 patients in Gaza have died while waiting for evacuation since July 2024.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on X that 1,092 patients died while awaiting medical evacuation between July 2024 and November 2025, adding that the actual number was likely higher.

Doctors Without Borders (MSF) reported high rates of respiratory infections among Gaza’s population due to harsh winter conditions and worsening living standards, as the humanitarian crisis continues.

The organization said hundreds of thousands of Palestinians remain in makeshift, deteriorating tents flooded by rainwater, heightening health risks, particularly for children and the elderly.

It urged Israeli authorities to immediately allow a significant increase in humanitarian aid deliveries to Gaza, warning of further deterioration in health and humanitarian conditions if restrictions on essential supplies persist.



How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

How Gaza Armed Gangs Recruit New Members

Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)
Security personnel guard trucks carrying aid as they arrive in Rafah, amid the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas, in the southern Gaza Strip January 17, 2024. (Reuters)

As Hamas moves to strike armed gangs operating in areas of the Gaza Strip under Israeli army control, the groups are responding with defiance, stepping up efforts to recruit young men and expand their ranks.

Videos posted on social media show training exercises and other activities, signaling that the gangs remain active despite pressure from Hamas security services.

Platforms affiliated with Hamas security say some members have recently turned themselves in following mediation by families, clans and community leaders. The gangs have not responded to those statements. Instead, they occasionally broadcast footage announcing new recruits.

Among the most prominent was Hamza Mahra, a Hamas activist who appeared weeks ago in a video released by the Shawqi Abu Nasira gang, which operates north of Khan Younis and east of Deir al-Balah.

Mahra’s appearance has raised questions about how these groups recruit members inside the enclave.

Field sources and others within the security apparatus of a Palestinian armed faction in Gaza told Asharq Al-Awsat that Mahra’s case may be an exception. They described him as a Hamas activist with no major role, despite his grandfather being among the founders of Hamas in Jabalia.

His decision to join the gang was driven by personal reasons linked to a family dispute, they said, not by organizational considerations.

The sources said the gangs exploit severe economic hardship, luring some young men with money, cigarettes and other incentives. Some recruits were heavily indebted and fled to gang-controlled areas to avoid repaying creditors.

Others joined in search of narcotic pills, the sources said, noting that some had previously been detained by Hamas-run security forces on similar charges. Economic hardship and the need for cigarettes and drugs were among the main drivers of recruitment, they added, saying the gangs, with Israeli backing, provide such supplies.

Resentment toward Hamas has also played a role, particularly among those previously arrested on criminal or security grounds and subjected to what the sources described as limited torture during interrogations under established procedures.

According to the sources, some founders or current leaders of the gangs previously served in the Palestinian Authority security services.

They cited Shawqi Abu Nasira, a senior police officer; Hussam al-Astal, an officer in the Preventive Security Service; and Rami Helles and Ashraf al-Mansi, both former officers in the Palestinian Presidential Guard.

These figures, the sources said, approach young men in need and at times succeed in recruiting them by promising help in settling debts and providing cigarettes. They also tell recruits that joining will secure them a future role in security forces that would later govern Gaza.

The sources described the case of a young man who surrendered to Gaza security services last week. He said he had been pressured after a phone call with a woman who threatened to publish the recording unless he joined one of the gangs.

He later received assurances from another contact that he would help repay some of his debts and ultimately agreed to enlist.

During questioning, he said the leader of the gang he joined east of Gaza City repeatedly assured recruits they would be “part of the structure of any Palestinian security force that will rule the sector.”

The young man told investigators he was unconvinced by those assurances, as were dozens of others in the same group.

Investigations of several individuals who surrendered, along with field data, indicate the gangs have carried out armed missions on behalf of the Israeli army, including locating tunnels. That has led to ambushes by Palestinian factions.

In the past week, clashes in the Zaytoun neighborhood south of Gaza City and near al-Masdar east of Deir al-Balah left gang members dead and wounded.

Some investigations also found that the gangs recruited young men previously involved in looting humanitarian aid.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.