Two Warnings, Arab and Western, ‘Tip the Balance’ in Iraq

Members of the Popular Mobilization Forces during the funeral of comrades killed in a US strike (AFP). 
Members of the Popular Mobilization Forces during the funeral of comrades killed in a US strike (AFP). 
TT

Two Warnings, Arab and Western, ‘Tip the Balance’ in Iraq

Members of the Popular Mobilization Forces during the funeral of comrades killed in a US strike (AFP). 
Members of the Popular Mobilization Forces during the funeral of comrades killed in a US strike (AFP). 

In an unusual development, informed sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the Iraqi government and influential political actors received two extraordinary warning messages over the past two weeks — one from an Arab country and another from a Western intelligence service — containing what were described as “serious” indications of impending, wide-ranging military strikes inside Iraq.

An Iraqi official confirmed that a “friendly state” had briefed Baghdad on the substance of the threat, prompting Shiite factions to move swiftly toward concessions.

According to the sources, potential targets could have included government institutions linked to Shiite factions and the Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF), powerful financial and military figures, sites and depots for drones and missiles, and training camps.

The two warnings are widely believed to have accelerated a recent wave of political statements by factions calling to “confine weapons to the state,” while simultaneously requesting time and freedom of action, within what they termed a “national framework”, to dismantle their military capabilities. This position remains a point of contention among leaders of the Coordination Framework.

A Message from a “Friendly State”

The threat level first rose with a message from an Arab country that maintains good relations with both Washington and Tehran. The message warned that Baghdad was perilously close to a swift military strike, likened to the targeting of Hamas’ political office in Doha in September 2025.

The message, delivered to Iraqi officials and politicians, stressed that the threat was “extremely serious” and that Israelis were now speaking openly of having received a green light from the United States to act unilaterally in the Iraqi theater.

Iraq has been among the arenas Israel has contemplated striking since the Oct. 7, 2023 attacks. Iraqi politicians told Asharq Al-Awsat in recent months that Washington had restrained Israel from operating in Iraq, while pressing Baghdad to remove the risks posed by weapons outside state control.

A Western diplomat said US officials felt Iraqi leaders did not fully grasp the gravity of the situation and had grown frustrated with what they saw as a weak response.

An Iraqi government official acknowledged receiving multiple warnings about armed groups from friendly states and Western embassies in Baghdad.

“A Massive File”

Days after the Arab message, Iraqi officials received what sources described as a “massive file” from a Western intelligence service. The file included Israeli-prepared lists packed with detailed information on Iraqi armed factions.

The breadth, precision, and depth of the intelligence stunned Iraqi officials. One told Asharq Al-Awsat that the timing of revealing the extent of Israel’s knowledge was critical. The lists reportedly detailed faction leaders, covert operatives within their inner circles, financiers and business figures tied to the groups, and government institutions serving as fronts for factional influence.

The Western service warned that Israel was on the verge of a broad operation now that the factions’ operational and financial capabilities and the deep networks underpinning their military structures had been exposed. After reviewing parts of the file, Shiite politicians reportedly recalled the pager explosions in Lebanon as a cautionary precedent.

“What Now?”

A senior Shiite leader within the Coordination Framework revealed that the two messages “changed the equation,” pushing party leaders to accelerate steps related to factional arms. Many are now grappling with a single question: what to do next? Disagreements persist over the method and the trusted authority to oversee a transitional phase of weapons consolidation.

The leader noted the first phase would involve handing over ballistic missiles and drones and dismantling and surrendering strategic camps north and south of Baghdad. A second phase, he claimed, would include removing faction-affiliated officials from the PMF, pending the US response.

An official in the State of Law Coalition said an agreement to remove heavy weapons had already existed within the Coordination Framework, even before US pressure intensified. Current disputes center on which state body would take custody of the weapons, amid US distrust of security institutions seen as influenced by factions.

Complicating matters, factions fear implementing disarmament amid fraught negotiations to form a new government. Caretaker Prime Minister Mohammad Shia al-Sudani is seeking a second term after winning the largest bloc within the Coordination Framework, a bid opposed by his rival Nouri al-Maliki, who favors a compromise candidate.

US Pressure

The Western intelligence message coincided with the arrival in Iraq of Senior Defense Official Colonel Stephanie Bagley. US defense funding will hinge on three conditions set out in the 2025 National Defense Authorization Act, passed on Dec. 11, 2025.

The law conditions assistance on Iraq’s ability to publicly and verifiably reduce the operational capacity of Iran-aligned armed groups not integrated into the security forces through disarmament, demobilization, and reintegration. It also requires strengthening the Iraqi prime minister’s authority as commander-in-chief and investigating and prosecuting militia members or security personnel operating outside the official chain of command if involved in attacks or destabilizing acts.

Western diplomatic sources said Bagley is expected to seek a clear, enforceable timeline from Iraqi officials. She met twice in one week with Army Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Abdul Amir Yarallah in October 2025.

A former Iraqi official noted that Washington has repeatedly pressed Baghdad for a timeline to dismantle militia influence, especially ahead of 2026, when the US-led coalition is set to complete its mission. A US State Department spokesperson reaffirmed that Washington will continue to press for the disarmament of Iran-backed militias that undermine Iraq’s sovereignty and threaten Iraqis and Americans alike.

 

 



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.