Bahbah Says ‘Board of Peace’ to be Announced Tuesday, ‘Gaza Committee’ to Follow

Bishara Bahbah stands between US President Donald Trump and Vice President JD Vance (Bahbah’s X account)
Bishara Bahbah stands between US President Donald Trump and Vice President JD Vance (Bahbah’s X account)
TT

Bahbah Says ‘Board of Peace’ to be Announced Tuesday, ‘Gaza Committee’ to Follow

Bishara Bahbah stands between US President Donald Trump and Vice President JD Vance (Bahbah’s X account)
Bishara Bahbah stands between US President Donald Trump and Vice President JD Vance (Bahbah’s X account)

The head of Arab Americans for Peace and a mediator on Gaza, Bishara Bahbah, said on Saturday that information he has received indicates US President Donald Trump will announce a “Board of Peace” overseeing a transitional administration for the Gaza Strip on Tuesday, Jan. 13, followed a day or two later by the formation of a Palestinian technocratic committee during meetings in Cairo.

Bahbah, an American of Palestinian origin, told Asharq Al-Awsat that several countries from the Arab world will participate in the Board of Peace, including Qatar, Egypt, and the United Arab Emirates.

He said the names of the technocratic committee faced Israeli objections, but a consensus was reached during visits by the nominee for director of the Board of Peace in Gaza, Nickolay Mladenov, to Israel and Ramallah on Thursday and Friday.

He added that he spoke on Thursday with Hamas leaders, who told him there are still no negotiations over the “disarmament” clause included in the ceasefire agreement that entered into force on Oct. 10, an issue on which Washington and Israel insist.

A Palestinian source had earlier told Asharq Al-Awsat that Cairo would host a Hamas delegation this week to advance the Gaza agreement.

Asked whether the announcement of the Board of Peace and the Gaza administration committee is imminent, Bahbah said the announcement will take place this week and that Cairo will host meetings of Palestinian factions to agree on the administration of Gaza.

He said it is expected that the Board of Peace will be announced on Jan. 13, followed a day or two later by a meeting of Palestinian factions in Cairo, during which the names of the technocratic committee to manage Gaza’s affairs will be announced.

Regarding whether the US president will make the announcement, Bahbah stated that the information he has received indicates that Trump will announce the names of the Board of Peace members on Jan. 13, adding that he is not aware of the exact reason for choosing that date.

Regarding the most prominent names on the Gaza administration committee, Bahbah stated that the names are not yet precisely known, but the candidates are individuals from Gaza, whether currently residing there or of Gazan origin.

Regarding the countries forming the Board of Peace, Bahbah said they include the United States, Britain, Germany, Italy, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, and Egypt.

He added that there is discussion about possibly adding the head of the International Monetary Fund, the president of the World Bank, and another figure who heads an international institution to the board, noting that representation would be at the level of heads of state or heads of government, such as Britain’s Keir Starmer and Italy’s Giorgia Meloni.

Bahbah said the Board of Peace is expected to convene on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum meetings in Davos in the third week of this month.

On the future of Hamas and whether it would exit the scene, Bahbah said the central issue lies in Israel and the United States demanding Hamas’ disarmament, adding that there is currently no mechanism or negotiations on the matter.

He said he contacted Hamas leaders on Thursday, who confirmed that no dialogue or negotiations have taken place with them by any party regarding disarmament, while the US side told him it is working on the issue.

He said the step is likely to be postponed or implemented gradually, as it would not happen overnight, especially since the movement would not accept disarmament without clear guarantees.

He said previous guarantees provided in the first phase failed, with about 1,100 ceasefire violations recorded, more than 400 people killed, and over 1,000 injured over the past three months, questioning how Hamas could agree to hand over its weapons without guarantees preventing Israeli violations of the agreement and attacks.

On Israel’s acceptance of the proposed steps, Bahbah said there is consensus on the Board of Peace and the technocratic committee, noting that the names were sent to the Israeli side, which approved some and rejected others.

He said the final list of the committee is expected to be prepared this week with the approval of Israel, the Palestinian Authority, and the United States, adding that the names and mechanisms have changed, and an agreement has been reached with Israel.

Bahbah also said that Mladenov, the candidate chosen for director of the Board of Peace in Gaza, discussed the formation of the committee during a meeting on Friday with the Palestinian Authority in Ramallah.

He said the Palestinian Authority insists that no committee will be allowed to be formed except at its invitation, as it considers itself the sole legitimate representative of the Palestinian people.



Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
TT

Lebanon Says Two Killed in Israeli Strike on Palestinian Refugee Camp

22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)
22 January 2026, Lebanon, Qnarit: People inspect the damage of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli air raid on the southern Lebanese village of Qnarit. (dpa)

Lebanon said an Israeli strike on the country's largest Palestinian refugee camp killed two people on Friday, with Israel's army saying it had targeted the Palestinian group Hamas. 

The official National News Agency said "an Israeli drone" targeted a neighborhood of the Ain al-Hilweh camp, which is located on the outskirts of the southern city of Sidon. 

Lebanon's health ministry said two people were killed in the raid. The NNA had earlier reported one dead and an unspecified number of wounded. 

An AFP correspondent saw smoke rising from a building in the densely populated camp as ambulances headed to the scene. 

The Israeli army said in a statement that its forces "struck a Hamas command center from which terrorists operated", calling activity there "a violation of the ceasefire understandings between Israel and Lebanon" and a threat to Israel. 

The Israeli military "is operating against the entrenchment" of the Palestinian group in Lebanon and will "continue to act decisively against Hamas terrorists wherever they operate", it added. 

Israel has kept up regular strikes on Lebanon despite a November 2024 ceasefire that sought to halt more than a year of hostilities with Hezbollah. 

Israel has also struck targets belonging to Hezbollah's Palestinian ally Hamas, including in a raid on Ain al-Hilweh last November that killed 13 people. 

The UN rights office had said 11 children were killed in that strike, which Israel said targeted a Hamas training compound, though the group denied it had military installations in Palestinian camps in Lebanon. 

In October 2023, Hezbollah began launching rockets at Israel in support of Hamas at the outset of the Gaza war, triggering hostilities that culminated in two months of all-out war between Israel and the Iran-backed Lebanese group. 

On Sunday, Lebanon said an Israeli strike near the Syrian border in the country's east killed four people, as Israel said it targeted operatives from Palestinian group Islamic Jihad. 


UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UN Says It Risks Halting Somalia Aid Due to Funding Cuts 

A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A Somali trader marks watermelons for sale at an open-air grocery market as Muslims start the fasting month of Ramadan, the holiest month in the Islamic calendar, within Bakara market in Mogadishu, Somalia, February 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The UN's World Food Program (WFP) warned Friday it would have to stop humanitarian assistance in Somalia by April if it did not receive new funding.

The Rome-based agency said it had already been forced to reduce the number of people receiving emergency food assistance from 2.2 million in early 2025 to just over 600,000 today.

"Without immediate funding, WFP will be forced to halt humanitarian assistance by April," it said in a statement.

In early January, the United States suspended aid to Somalia over reports of theft and government interference, following the destruction of a US-funded WFP warehouse in the capital Mogadishu's port.

The US announced a resumption of WFP food distribution on January 29.

However, all UN agencies have warned of serious funding shortfalls since Washington began slashing aid across the world following President Donald Trump's return to the White House last year.

"The situation is deteriorating at an alarming rate," said Ross Smith, WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response, in Friday's statement.

"Families have lost everything, and many are already being pushed to the brink. Without immediate emergency food support, conditions will worsen quickly.

"We are at the cusp of a decisive moment; without urgent action, we may be unable to reach the most vulnerable in time, most of them women and children."

Some 4.4 million people in Somalia are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, according to the WFP, the largest humanitarian agency in the country.

The Horn of Africa country has been plagued by conflict and also suffered two consecutive failed rainy seasons.


Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Hamas Says Path for Gaza Must Begin with End to ‘Aggression’ 

Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)
Makeshift tents of displaced Palestinian families among the ruins of their homes at sunset during the holy month of Ramadan in Jabaliya northern Gaza Strip on, 19 February 2026. (EPA)

Discussions on Gaza's future must begin with a total halt to Israeli "aggression", the Palestinian movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump's Board of Peace met for the first time.

"Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people's legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination," Hamas said in a statement Thursday.

Trump's board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.

"We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza," Netanyahu said.

The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.

Trump said several countries had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.

Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit's American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.

Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.