Iraq’s Sadr Accepts Defectors’ Return, Signals Force to Rivals

Sadrist movement leader Moqtada al-Sadr (Sadrist media)
Sadrist movement leader Moqtada al-Sadr (Sadrist media)
TT

Iraq’s Sadr Accepts Defectors’ Return, Signals Force to Rivals

Sadrist movement leader Moqtada al-Sadr (Sadrist media)
Sadrist movement leader Moqtada al-Sadr (Sadrist media)

Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, leader of the Shiite National Current, has offered what amounts to an amnesty to a group of former followers who had broken away from his movement and joined armed factions, most of which have strained relations with him.

The majority of leaders and fighters in the Shiite armed factions trace their origins to the religious authority of the late Mohammed Sadiq al-Sadr, the father of Moqtada al-Sadr.

Among them is Qais al-Khazali, secretary general of Asaib Ahl al-Haq, who had been one of al-Sadr’s aides before defecting in mid-June 2006, as did other faction leaders. Local and regional interventions, particularly by Iran, played a significant role in those defections, as part of broader efforts to weaken al-Sadr and his movement.

Al-Sadr’s remarks came in response to a question submitted by a “group from Baghdad” of his former followers, who asked him to reopen the door for their return to his movement.

“I am aware of your suffering, and I know your needs,” al-Sadr said. “I am absolutely certain that your affiliation with them is merely physical.”

“I know that your hearts are with us, and your minds are with us. You love the homeland as we love it, and you reject subservience as we reject it,” he added.

“Just as your hearts are with us, my heart is with you. I have not forgotten you in my prayers for success, guidance, and righteousness.”

“You are welcome whenever you wish. Whoever does not wish to return may remain among them, but not be one of them; that is my assumption of you.”

“Yes, my assumption is that you are still faithful to the covenant, the covenant of our father al-Sadr. You are welcome at any time and in any place. The door of the al-Sadr family is always open, as you have always known.”

The open invitation to the “repentant” came just days after the assassination of Hussein al-Alaq, a senior figure in the Sadrist movement and the Peace Brigades, in the southern city of Amarah.

Asaib Ahl al-Haq was accused of involvement in the killing, an allegation denied last week by its secretary general, Qais al-Khazali.

Southern provinces have witnessed rising tensions in recent days between the Sadrist movement and armed factions, particularly following the assassination.

The killing prompted al-Sadr to lift a decision freezing the activities of the Peace Brigades, the armed wing of his movement, in the southern provinces of Basra and Wasit.

On Friday, al-Sadr called for a unified Friday prayer in Amarah, attended by thousands of his supporters, in what appeared to be a direct response to the assassination. Maysan province, whose capital is Amarah, is considered one of the Sadrist movement’s main strongholds in southern Iraq.

The movement dominated the province’s local government for more than 15 years before al-Sadr decided to withdraw his bloc from parliament and refuse participation in the federal government and local administrations.

That move allowed forces from the Coordination Framework, led by Asaib Ahl al-Haq, to expand their influence in the province.

A senior Sadrist figure told Asharq Al-Awsat that al-Sadr’s recent moves “send clear warning messages to his rivals among the armed factions, some of which al-Sadr labels ‘insolent militias.’”

He said lifting the freeze on the Peace Brigades and holding the prayer were also intended as a show of force toward factions “that do not hesitate to commit crimes against Sadrist followers.”

While the Sadrist official played down the likelihood of armed clashes at this stage, he did not rule out the possibility in the future “if those groups continue targeting Sadrist leaders.”

He said the aggressive conduct of some factions cannot be separated from the fears surrounding them, particularly those linked to concerns over Iran’s regional role.

“They are seeking to undermine the strength of the Sadrist movement to prevent it from later filling any vacuum that regional developments may create,” he said.



Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
TT

Meta's Zuckerberg Faces Questioning at Youth Addiction Trial

REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights
REUTERS/Francis Mascarenhas Purchase Licensing Rights

Meta Platforms CEO and billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is set to be questioned for the first time in a US court on Wednesday about Instagram's effect on the mental health of young users, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues. While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech's longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm, Reuters reported.

The lawsuit and others like it are part of a global backlash against social media platforms over children's mental health. Australia has prohibited access to social media platforms for users under age 16, and other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age 14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court. The case involves a California woman who started using Meta's Instagram and Google's YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.

Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not show social media changes kids' mental health.

The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet's Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis.

Zuckerberg is expected to be questioned on Meta's internal studies and discussions of how Instagram use affects younger users.

Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm. Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not,

Reuters reported

in October. Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens' attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually or unintentionally, according to the document shown at trial.

Meta's lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman's health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.


Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.