Gaza Committee Faces Israeli Hurdles as it Seeks Pressure from Mediators

Destroyed buildings in Gaza, as seen from Israel, January 20, 2026. (Reuters)
Destroyed buildings in Gaza, as seen from Israel, January 20, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Gaza Committee Faces Israeli Hurdles as it Seeks Pressure from Mediators

Destroyed buildings in Gaza, as seen from Israel, January 20, 2026. (Reuters)
Destroyed buildings in Gaza, as seen from Israel, January 20, 2026. (Reuters)

The committee tasked with administering the Gaza Strip has begun work in Cairo, but its planned entry into the enclave has been blocked by Israel, a move mediators are seeking to head off as part of the second phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement that began in mid-January and has drawn objections from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

The ban followed Israel's objection to the White House announcement of leaders who will play a role in overseeing the next steps in Gaza.

Experts speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat said these objections represent major obstacles that complicate the second phase, which includes an Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, the launch of reconstruction, the deployment of stabilization forces, and the disarmament of Hamas.

They warned the obstacles could delay or derail implementation, stressing that pressure from the international community and mediators could push Washington to neutralize any Israeli hurdles.

Israel’s Haaretz newspaper quoted sources on Tuesday as saying Netanyahu’s government is refusing to allow members of the Palestinian “technocrats committee” to enter Gaza.

It said the committee members had been scheduled to enter the enclave this week via the Rafah crossing to assume civil administration duties by the end of the week.

The report said the committee’s members continue to hold meetings in Cairo, while mediators, particularly Egypt, are working with the United States to secure approval for the committee’s entry into Gaza by the end of the month.

Qatar’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Majed al-Ansari said at a press conference in Doha on Tuesday that the international community must pressure Israel to allow the technocrats committee to enter Gaza.

Hamas said in a statement on Tuesday that government bodies in Gaza have begun taking steps to facilitate the work of the national committee and hand over authority.

It stressed it has placed no preconditions on forming the committee or starting its work, but expects “independent professional and technical performance.”

Ahmed Fouad Anwar, a member of the Egyptian Council for Foreign Affairs and an academic specializing in Israeli affairs, said the Israeli ban is part of a pattern of obstacles Israel has attempted to impose at every stage of the Gaza agreement, as it did during the first phase.

He said he expects US pressure to prevent the continued ban on committee members.

Palestinian political analyst Nizar Nazzal said Israel wants an administrative committee stripped of authority and willpower, adding that the ban is calculated and deliberate.

He nevertheless expects the committee to eventually enter Gaza to begin work, saying Israeli leaks appear to be a media bubble aimed mainly at domestic audiences.

Reuters reported that Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich urged Netanyahu on Monday to shut down the US-led multinational coordination center supporting President Donald Trump’s plan to end the war in Gaza, calling for Hamas to be given a final ultimatum to disarm or face the destruction of the enclave.

The White House announced on Friday the formation of an 11-member Gaza Executive Board, including Egyptian intelligence chief Hassan Rashad, Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan, UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process Sigrid Kaag, UAE Minister of State for International Cooperation Reem Al-Hashimy, and Israeli-Cypriot billionaire Yakir Gabay.

A day after Trump announced the executive bodies, Netanyahu’s office said the move was made without coordination with Israel and runs counter to its policy, adding that Foreign Minister Gideon Saar would raise the issue with his US counterpart Marco Rubio.

Anwar said Israeli objections began even before the second phase of the Gaza plan, with Netanyahu’s government demanding the return of the last remains of Israeli hostages and the disarmament of Hamas.

He said the phase began nonetheless without Washington responding to those demands, predicting that Israel would try to obstruct the second phase, while the US continues to ignore them.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.