Sources to Asharq Al-Awsat: Hamas to Discuss Weapons Issue With Mediators in Coming Days

A Palestinian child picks flowers on Thursday from a field near destroyed buildings in the Nuseirat refugee camp, north of Deir al-Balah in central Gaza (AFP)
A Palestinian child picks flowers on Thursday from a field near destroyed buildings in the Nuseirat refugee camp, north of Deir al-Balah in central Gaza (AFP)
TT

Sources to Asharq Al-Awsat: Hamas to Discuss Weapons Issue With Mediators in Coming Days

A Palestinian child picks flowers on Thursday from a field near destroyed buildings in the Nuseirat refugee camp, north of Deir al-Balah in central Gaza (AFP)
A Palestinian child picks flowers on Thursday from a field near destroyed buildings in the Nuseirat refugee camp, north of Deir al-Balah in central Gaza (AFP)

As Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu intensifies pressure to disarm Hamas and other armed factions as part of the second phase of a ceasefire, the Palestinian movement is pushing back, saying the issue of weapons must be resolved through a broader “national consensus.”

Factional sources in Gaza told Asharq Al-Awsat that “general consultations” are underway with Hamas on the weapons issue alongside other matters.

One source said more serious talks with mediators are likely to begin in the coming days, particularly as preparations to hand over governmental responsibilities in the enclave to the Gaza Administration Committee begin.

Netanyahu said at a news conference on Tuesday that the disarmament process will happen either the easy way or the hard way, but it will happen in the end.

US President Donald Trump has also said Hamas must disarm as it had pledged to do, while his envoy to the United Nations, Mike Waltz, said the Board of Peace would put pressure on the movement to disarm.

Senior Hamas officials insist the weapons file is a purely Palestinian matter that does not concern the movement alone, and that any decision must be taken within a framework of “national consensus.”

No agreement yet

A Hamas source told Asharq Al-Awsat that the issue of the “weapons of resistance” remains at the stage of general consultations, whether among factions or with mediators.

The source said Hamas has again floated ideas and approaches, including placing the weapons under the custodianship of an agreed Palestinian body, or under guarantees from mediators, in a way that would prevent their disarmament by US or Israeli means or their transfer to either side.

The sources stressed that no agreement has been reached to date and that the issue has not yet been seriously discussed.

Israeli Channel 13 reported on Monday that the United States is expected in the coming days to present Israel and Hamas with a document setting a deadline to begin disarmament and comply with the conditions of the second phase.

The report said the document would allow the Israeli government to act independently to carry out the process if the Palestinian movement failed to comply.

Israeli military sources, cited by the public broadcaster on Sunday, expressed doubt that Hamas would accept disarmament. Channel 14 reported that a series of military plans had been approved to force Hamas to do so, including the possibility of reoccupying the Gaza Strip in full.

US envoy Steve Witkoff said days ago that a new meeting with Hamas might be needed if required, adding that he expected the movement to agree to disarm eventually.

Inclusive national framework

Hamas sources inside and outside Gaza said the movement wants any agreement on weapons to be reached within a comprehensive, inclusive national framework. They said consultations have taken place with Palestinian factions and that a proposal is being formulated to present to mediators during serious talks on the issue.

Sources said some mediators raised the issue of weapons during recent meetings, including a meeting in Istanbul days ago between Hamas leaders and Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan.

One source said mediators and some parties, which he did not specify, had shown acceptance of approaches put forward during the general consultations that affirm the right of Palestinian factions to retain what enables them to resist occupation.

On Hamas’s understanding of “national consensus,” sources, including a senior leader, told Asharq Al-Awsat that the weapons do not belong to Hamas alone, noting that other armed factions have taken part effectively in resisting the Israeli occupation.

“We cannot alone decide the fate of an important issue tied to the principles and future of the Palestinian cause,” one of the Hamas sources said.

While Hamas appears keen to avoid being seen as standing alone behind a decision to hand over or dismantle faction weapons in a way that would portray it as defeated, the sources rejected that interpretation.

They said several issues must be settled within a framework of Palestinian national consensus, as was done in the handover of governance in Gaza to a technocratic committee.

They added that a national committee of Gaza factions would work with the committee to ensure it receives all the tools needed for government work, to reach an inclusive national formulation on this “fateful issue.”

The sources said national consensus is not limited to weapons but extends to other “existential issues.”

What role for Fatah

Asked whether Fatah would take part in new factional consultations on the weapons issue, a senior Hamas source said: “Certainly, we are seeking that. But we do not know whether it will refuse, as it did in consultations on forming the technocratic committee, or agree. In any case, Hamas has no problem with decisions being taken in the same way.”

He said the goal of factional consultations due to be held soon in Cairo is to reach an explicit agreement on the fate of the weapons of resistance, without any unilateral decision by Hamas or any other faction on this and other critical issues related to the future of Gaza and the Palestinian cause.

These include moving toward a comprehensive Palestinian national dialogue to restore unity under Arab, Islamic, and international sponsorship.

Israeli and US threats

It remains unclear how Israel and the US will respond to Hamas’s steps, as Israel threatens a return to military action. Some Palestinians believe the Trump administration may be open to other options regarding the future of the weapons.

Trump said about Hamas members, roughly two weeks ago, that they were born with weapons in their hands, so giving them up is not a simple matter.

US Ambassador to the United Nations Mike Waltz said on Wednesday that all military, terrorist, and offensive infrastructure will be destroyed, including tunnels and weapons production facilities, and they will not be rebuilt.

He added that independent international monitors would oversee the disarmament process in Gaza, placing weapons permanently out of use through an agreed process to decommission them, supported by an internationally funded buyback and reintegration program.

Mousa Abu Marzook, a member of Hamas’s political bureau, said in televised remarks that any arrangements concerning Gaza must be reached in understanding with the movement, including the weapons issue. He said Hamas has never accepted handing over its weapons in any form.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.