Report: US Slows Transfers of ISIS Detainees to Iraq

 A woman looks out from a tent at Roj camp, one of the detention facilities holding thousands of ISIS group members and their families, in the al-Malikiyah area of northeastern Syria, Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026. (AP)
A woman looks out from a tent at Roj camp, one of the detention facilities holding thousands of ISIS group members and their families, in the al-Malikiyah area of northeastern Syria, Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026. (AP)
TT

Report: US Slows Transfers of ISIS Detainees to Iraq

 A woman looks out from a tent at Roj camp, one of the detention facilities holding thousands of ISIS group members and their families, in the al-Malikiyah area of northeastern Syria, Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026. (AP)
A woman looks out from a tent at Roj camp, one of the detention facilities holding thousands of ISIS group members and their families, in the al-Malikiyah area of northeastern Syria, Thursday, Jan. 29, 2026. (AP)

Transfers of ISIS detainees from Syria to Iraq by the US military have slowed this week, seven sources familiar with the matter said, following calls by Baghdad for other countries to repatriate thousands of foreign extremists.

The US military said on January 21 it had started to transfer the detainees. Its announcement followed the rapid collapse of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces in northeast Syria, which caused uncertainty about the security of prisons and detention camps they were guarding.

The United States had expected to transfer up to 7,000 fighters to Iraq within days. But more than a week later, only about 500 have been moved, according to two Iraqi judicial officials, two Iraqi security officials and three diplomats, some from countries whose nationals are among those transferred.

An Iraqi foreign ministry official put the number at under 500 so far.

Baghdad asked the US to slow the influx to make time for negotiations with other countries on repatriating their own nationals among the detainees and to prepare additional facilities to host the fighters, the Iraqi officials and a Western diplomat told Reuters.

Those moved to Iraqi facilities so far include about 130 Iraqis ‌and some 400 foreigners, ‌the Iraqi judicial sources, the Iraqi security officials and a Western diplomat said.

The slowdown, which has ‌not ⁠previously been reported, is linked ‌to Western governments' reservations about bringing home their own citizens who joined the ISIS’ brutal control of swathes of Syria and Iraq from 2014.

Most foreign fighters were subsequently captured in Syria and held in prisons in the northeast for years without trial.

The US State Department and the Pentagon did not immediately respond to Reuters requests for comment on the transfers.

IRAQ BALKS AT MASS TRANSFER

Iraq agreed to host the detainees being moved by the US military after a brief escape by dozens of fighters from one facility in Syria prompted concerns that more could flee, Iraqi government officials said.

But although it has already tried and sentenced dozens of foreign fighters in recent years, Baghdad balked at the prospect of having the full 7,000 in its custody, the officials said.

The influx could overwhelm Iraq’s courts and prisons, and sentencing detainees to death ⁠would prompt criticism from Western countries and rights groups, they said.

"It's a trap," one of the senior Iraqi judicial sources said. "These Western countries object to the death penalty, but refuse to receive their terrorists. Why ‌should we bear the burden of being seen as the butcher?"

Responding to questions from Reuters, Hisham ‍al-Alawi, Undersecretary of Iraq's Foreign Ministry for Political Planning, said fewer than 500 detainees ‍had been transferred to Iraq so far.

"For years, Iraq has been urging foreign states to assume their responsibilities by taking back their citizens and ‍dealing with them in accordance with their own laws. While some countries have taken the initiative, a large number of states have not responded to our requests," Alawi said.

The dilemma of what to do with foreign nationals who joined ISIS has plagued Western countries for the last decade.

Securing guilty verdicts against such detainees in their home countries could be harder than in Iraq, said four diplomats from countries whose nationals were captured in Syria, citing a greater need to prove direct participation in violent crimes.

Governments in such countries could face a public backlash if ISIS fighters were repatriated and then freed, the diplomats said.

The return of an ISIS-linked woman to Norway in 2020 caused a cabinet crisis that ultimately brought down the government.

As a result of Western nations' hesitations, ⁠thousands of foreign fighters detained in Syria and Iraq remained there for nearly a decade - even though the US, which repatriated and tried its nationals, urged other countries to do the same.

REPATRIATION THE ONLY ANSWER, EXPERT SAYS

The senior Iraqi judicial source said Baghdad was working with the US State Department on increasing pressure on other countries to begin repatriations.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio said after transfers had begun that foreign ISIS members would be in Iraq temporarily. "The United States urges countries to take responsibility and repatriate their citizens in these facilities to face justice," he said.

Two diplomats from countries with nationals now in Iraq said their governments faced an uncomfortable choice between repatriation - which would be unpopular domestically - and the possibility that their nationals would face the death penalty if tried in Iraq, an outcome that could outrage voters at home.

One of the diplomats said Baghdad had begun conversations with their country about repatriations, but that their government's policy was unchanged.

"It would be difficult for us to accept that they are transferred to Iraq if they are then going to get their head chopped off," the second diplomat said.

Letta Tayler, an associate fellow at the International Centre for Counter-Terrorism, said the mass transfer of detainees to Iraq "has mind-boggling legal implications, none of them positive."

It could prolong their indefinite detention without trial and place detainees at risk ‌of torture and executions based on flawed convictions, Tayler said. The US has raised concerns about unfair trials of ISIS detainees in Iraq.

"The only viable solution is for countries with fair justice systems to repatriate their nationals," Tayler said.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.