Japan Imposes New Regulations on Chip Supply-Chain Network

Pedestrians wak past an electronic board displaying the Nikkei Stock Average figure, in Tokyo, Japan (EPA)
Pedestrians wak past an electronic board displaying the Nikkei Stock Average figure, in Tokyo, Japan (EPA)
TT

Japan Imposes New Regulations on Chip Supply-Chain Network

Pedestrians wak past an electronic board displaying the Nikkei Stock Average figure, in Tokyo, Japan (EPA)
Pedestrians wak past an electronic board displaying the Nikkei Stock Average figure, in Tokyo, Japan (EPA)

Japan has decided to apply foreign trade regulations to chipmaking equipment as part of its efforts to secure stable supply chains, the Finance Ministry said Friday.

Foreign investors are now required to give prior notice when conducting direct investment in equipment tied to chipmaking, including when acquiring a 1% or bigger stake in a listed company or buying shares in an unlisted company, the ministry said in a statement, according to Bloomberg.

The move also aims to address the risk of technology leakage and keep commercial technologies from being used for military purposes, it said.

Other products added to the list of so-called “core business sectors” include advanced electronic components, machine tool components, marine engines, fiber optic cables and multifunctional machines, according to the ministry.

The targeted move will help the government enhance national security while its impact on companies is expected to be limited, a Finance Ministry official told Bloomberg.

The move comes as Japan tries to revive its own capacity to produce semiconductors as a pillar of its economic security strategy.

Japan has already earmarked some ¥4 trillion ($26.9 billion) over the last three years to recharge its semiconductor sectors and promote digitalization.

In the markets, Japan's Nikkei share average climbed nearly 3% on Friday and notched its best week in more than four years, as strong US retail sales data soothed fears of a recession in the world's largest economy and Japan's top trading partner.
The Nikkei closed 3.6% higher at 38,062.67, locking in its second-largest daily gain for the year, while the broader Topix finished up about 3% at 2,678.60.

The Nikkei logged its biggest weekly gain since April 2020, rising over 8%, buoyed by easing concerns about the state of the US economy, a pause in the yen's rapid appreciation and a pick-up in Japan's economic growth.

Wall Street's main indexes closed higher on Thursday after US retail sales increased 1% in July following a downwardly revised 0.2% drop in June.

The rally was broad-based, with 219 of the Nikkei's 225 constituents advancing against 5 decliners, while shares of many big names surged.

Nikkei heavyweight Fast Retailing jumped 6.2%, while chip-related share Tokyo Electron gained 4.8%, along with peer Advantest, adding 6.8%.

Meanwhile, the yen weakened against the dollar overnight in a boost to Japan's export-related shares like automaker Toyota Motor, which rose about 2%.

The Nikkei fell more than 12% on Aug. 5 in its biggest single-day decline since Black Monday amid a storm of concerns, including US recession fears sparked by a weak jobs report and a sharply stronger yen.

It has since clawed back those losses but remains well off an all-time peak of 42,426.77 touched in mid-July.

Among individual shares on Friday, electrical component maker Fujikura rallied over 11% to become the biggest percentage gainer.



Under Trump Pressure, EU Eyes Deal to End Trade Standoff

US President Donald Trump and EU chief Ursula von der Leyen sealed the deal in Turnberry, Scotland last year. Brendan SMIALOWSKI / AFP/File
US President Donald Trump and EU chief Ursula von der Leyen sealed the deal in Turnberry, Scotland last year. Brendan SMIALOWSKI / AFP/File
TT

Under Trump Pressure, EU Eyes Deal to End Trade Standoff

US President Donald Trump and EU chief Ursula von der Leyen sealed the deal in Turnberry, Scotland last year. Brendan SMIALOWSKI / AFP/File
US President Donald Trump and EU chief Ursula von der Leyen sealed the deal in Turnberry, Scotland last year. Brendan SMIALOWSKI / AFP/File

The EU hopes Tuesday to strike a deal towards implementing its nearly year-old trade pact with the United States -- with an increasingly impatient Donald Trump threatening steep new tariffs unless it is done by July 4.

The 27-nation bloc struck an accord with Washington last July setting levies on most European goods at 15 percent, but to the US president's frustration a final version of the text still needs nailing down on the EU side, AFP said.

"A deal is a deal," the US mission to the EU posted on X Monday, saying the bloc "must live up" to the agreement sealed in Turnberry, Scotland, between Trump and EU chief Ursula von der Leyen.

Negotiators from the EU's parliament and capitals will meet Tuesday night in Strasbourg to push for a compromise that would allow the bloc to meet Trump's deadline and hopefully turn the page on more than a year of transatlantic trade battles.

Short of that, Trump has warned the EU should expect "much higher" tariffs -- and has already vowed to raise duties on European cars and trucks from 15 to 25 percent.

The tariff blitz unleashed by Trump before the Turnberry accord, including hefty levies on steel, aluminium and car parts, jolted the bloc into cultivating trade ties around the world.

But the EU cannot afford to neglect the 1.6-trillion-euro ($1.9-trillion) relationship with the United States, its largest trade partner.

Cyprus, which holds the rotating presidency of the EU, said its goal "remains, the swift implementation of the EU-US joint statement".

To reach a compromise with member states, parliament is under pressure to renege on several amendments it added to the text in March which the Americans consider unacceptable.

The head of parliament's trade committee, Bernd Lange, struck an optimistic note, saying the sides had "already made a lot of progress".

"I hope we can reach a compromise, including new propositions," Lange said.

But first, he needs to hammer out a common stance between the parliament's different factions, which looked set to keep haggling until the last moment.

- 'Sunrise' to 'sunset' -

The EU parliament's conditional green light came after months of delay caused by Trump's designs on Greenland and a US Supreme Court ruling striking down many of the president's levies.

The assembly's largest force, the conservative European People's Party to which von der Leyen belongs, is now pushing hard to implement an accord it says is vital to ending a period of damaging uncertainty for EU businesses.

EPP lawmaker Zeljana Zovko told AFP she was "confident that we will get it done".

The EPP has firm support from the hard-right ECR party, whose shadow rapporteur on the file, Kris Van Dijck, also said he was "cautiously optimistic".

But several political groups had yet to make their position public as of Monday night, and it remained unclear how far the majority would compromise to get a deal.

Lawmaker Kathleen Van Brempt of the Socialists and Democrats, parliament's second-biggest group, said they would "engage constructively" but fight for safeguards "to guarantee stability, predictability and protection for European businesses and workers".

One bone of contention is a suspension clause toughened by parliament that would scrap favorable tariff conditions for US exporters, should the United States later breach the terms of the deal.

Another concerns so-called "sunrise" and "sunset" clauses under which the EU side of the accord would kick in once the United States makes fully good on its pledges, and would expire unless renewed in 2028.

Green lawmaker Anna Cavazzini said "the odds are good" but warned member states would need to "budge" on parliament's main priorities.

"These past weeks have shown time and again that Trump is not to be trusted, so the EU needs stronger tools at hand," she said.


US Extends Sanctions Waiver on Russian at-Sea Oil by 30 Days

 US Secretary of the Treasury Scott Bessent arrives at meeting of G7 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors in preparation for the summit of heads of State and government to be held in June 2026 in Evian, in Paris on May 18, 2026. (AFP)
US Secretary of the Treasury Scott Bessent arrives at meeting of G7 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors in preparation for the summit of heads of State and government to be held in June 2026 in Evian, in Paris on May 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

US Extends Sanctions Waiver on Russian at-Sea Oil by 30 Days

 US Secretary of the Treasury Scott Bessent arrives at meeting of G7 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors in preparation for the summit of heads of State and government to be held in June 2026 in Evian, in Paris on May 18, 2026. (AFP)
US Secretary of the Treasury Scott Bessent arrives at meeting of G7 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors in preparation for the summit of heads of State and government to be held in June 2026 in Evian, in Paris on May 18, 2026. (AFP)

The US Treasury secretary on Monday said Washington was extending by 30 days its sanctions waiver for Russian oil cargoes already at sea, as global energy prices continue to surge due to the Iran war.

The latest "temporary 30-day general license" will "provide the most vulnerable nations with the ability to temporarily access Russian oil currently stranded at sea," Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a social media post.

Monday's announcement is the second time US authorities have extended the temporary measure, which is meant to address oil supply shortages sparked by the US-Israel war on Iran.

Iran's retaliatory action has targeted US regional allies and virtually blocked the Strait of Hormuz, through which roughly a fifth of the world's oil and gas supplies normally pass.

The previous waiver for Russian at-sea oil expired on May 16.

Global oil prices have spiked since the start of the war, with US consumers feeling the pinch of gasoline costs that are more than 50 percent higher than when the war began.

The United States first issued a sanctions waiver on Russian oil cargoes that were at sea in March.

The moves have been criticized by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, whose country has been locked in war with Russia since its 2022 invasion.

Bessent said the extension would "provide additional flexibility" and "will help stabilize the physical crude market and ensure oil reaches the most energy-vulnerable countries.


IEA Chief Warns Commercial Oil Inventories Are Depleting Rapidly, Only Weeks Left

Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) Secretary-General Mathias Cormann and International Energy Agency (IEA) Executive Director Fatih Birol talk on the day of a G7 finance ministers' and central bank governors' meeting in Paris, France, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)
Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) Secretary-General Mathias Cormann and International Energy Agency (IEA) Executive Director Fatih Birol talk on the day of a G7 finance ministers' and central bank governors' meeting in Paris, France, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

IEA Chief Warns Commercial Oil Inventories Are Depleting Rapidly, Only Weeks Left

Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) Secretary-General Mathias Cormann and International Energy Agency (IEA) Executive Director Fatih Birol talk on the day of a G7 finance ministers' and central bank governors' meeting in Paris, France, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)
Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) Secretary-General Mathias Cormann and International Energy Agency (IEA) Executive Director Fatih Birol talk on the day of a G7 finance ministers' and central bank governors' meeting in Paris, France, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)

Fatih Birol, head of the International Energy Agency, said on Monday that commercial oil inventories were depleting rapidly with only a few weeks' worth left due to the Iran war and the closure of the Strait of Hormuz to shipping.

Birol, who is participating in the Group of Seven finance leaders meeting in Paris, told reporters that the release of strategic oil reserves had added 2.5 million barrels of oil per day to the market, but said these reserves "are ‌not endless".

The ‌onset of the spring planting and summer ‌travel ⁠seasons in the northern ⁠hemisphere will drain inventories more quickly as demand for diesel, fertilizer, jet fuel and gasoline increases, Birol added.

Asked about his comments in the G7 meeting, he said he described "a perception gap in the markets between the physical markets and the financial markets" for oil.

Birol said that before the US and Israel launched attacks on Iran at ⁠the end of February, there was a major ‌surplus in the oil markets, and ‌commercial inventories were very high. But the situation has rapidly shifted due to ‌the war.

He said commercial inventories would last "several weeks, but we ‌should be aware of the fact that it is declining rapidly".

Last week, the IEA said global oil supply will fall short of total demand this year as the Iran conflict wreaks havoc on Middle East oil ‌production, and inventories were being drained at an unprecedented pace. The IEA had previously forecast a surplus this ⁠year.

Global observed ⁠oil inventories fell at a record pace in March and April, dropping by 246 million barrels, the IEA said in its latest monthly oil market report.

The 32-member IEA coordinated the largest-ever release of stocks from strategic reserves in March, agreeing to withdraw 400 million barrels in a bid to calm markets.

Around 164 million barrels had been released by May 8, it said.

Overall global oil supply will fall by around 3.9 million barrels per day across 2026 due to the war, the agency said, slashing its previous forecast, which had projected a 1.5 million bpd drop.