Year of War Creates Cracks in Israel's Borrowing Strength

The Bank of Israel building is seen in Jerusalem June 16, 2020. REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun/File Photo
The Bank of Israel building is seen in Jerusalem June 16, 2020. REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun/File Photo
TT

Year of War Creates Cracks in Israel's Borrowing Strength

The Bank of Israel building is seen in Jerusalem June 16, 2020. REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun/File Photo
The Bank of Israel building is seen in Jerusalem June 16, 2020. REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun/File Photo

Israel's economy has for almost a year ridden out the chaos of a war that risks spiralling into a regional conflict, but rising borrowing costs are starting to strain its financial architecture.

The direct cost of funding the war in Gaza through August was 100 billion shekel ($26.3 billion), according to the finance ministry. The Bank of Israel reckons the total could rise to 250 billion shekel by the end of 2025, but that estimate was made before Israel's incursion into Lebanon, which will add to the tally.

That has led to credit ratings downgrades, which are amplifying economic effects that could reverberate for years, while the cost of insuring Israel's debt against default is near a 12-year high and its budget deficit is ballooning, Reuters reported.

"As long as the war continues, the sovereign debt metrics will continue to worsen," said Sergey Dergachev, portfolio manager at Union Investment.

Although Israel's debt-to-GDP, a core metric for economic health, stood at 62% last year, borrowing needs have blown out.

"Even if Israel has a relatively good base, still it will be painful on the fiscal side," Dergachev said, adding: "And over time, it will put pressure on the rating."

Israel's finance minister has said the economy is strong, and the country's credit ratings should rebound once the war has ended.

The cost of the war is steep due to Israel's Iron Dome air defenses, large-scale troop mobilization and intensive bombing campaigns. This year, debt-to-GDP hit 67%, while the government deficit is 8.3% of GDP, well above the 6.6% previously expected.

While the core buyers of Israel's international bonds - pension funds or major asset managers lured by its relatively high sovereign debt rating - are unlikely to shed the assets at short notice, the investor base has narrowed.

Privately, investors say there is increasing interest in offloading Israel's bonds, or not purchasing them, due to concerns over the ESG implications of how the war is conducted.

Norges Bank sold a small holding in Israeli government bonds in 2023 "given increased uncertainty in the market," a spokesperson for Norway's sovereign wealth fund said.

"What you do see reflecting these concerns is obviously the valuations," said Trang Nguyen, Global Head of Emerging Markets Credit Strategy at BNP Paribas, adding Israeli bonds were trading at far wider spreads than similarly rated countries.

Asked about rising borrowing costs and investors' ESG concerns for this story, Israel's finance ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

While Israel's domestic bond market is deep, liquid and expanding rapidly, foreign investors have pulled back.

Central bank data shows the share held by non-residents declined to 8.4%, or 55.5 billion shekels, in July from 14.4%, or nearly 80 billion shekels, in September last year. Over the same period, the amount of outstanding bonds grew by more than a fifth.

"Israeli institutions actually are buying more during the last few months and I guess some global investors sold bonds because of geopolitics and uncertainty," a finance ministry official said, declining to be named.

Equity investors are also cutting back. Data from Copley Fund Research showed that international investors' cuts to Israel funds, which began in May 2023 amid disputed judicial reforms, accelerated after the Oct. 7 Hamas attacks.

Global funds' ownership of Israeli stocks is now at its lowest in a decade.

Foreign direct investment into Israel dropped by 29% year-on-year in 2023, according to UNCTAD - the lowest since 2016. While 2024 figures are not available, ratings agencies have flagged the war's unpredictable impact on such investment as a concern.

All this has amplified the need for local investment, and government support.

The government in April pledged $160 million in public money to boost venture capital funding for the crucial tech sector, which accounts for some 20% of Israel's economy.

This adds to other costs, including housing thousands displaced by the fighting, many in hotels vacant due to the steep drop in tourists.

The displacements, worker shortages due to mobilization and Israel's refusal to allow Palestinian workers in, are hindering its agriculture and construction sectors.

The latter has been a key factor curtailing economic growth - which plunged more than 20% in the fourth quarter of last year and has yet to recover. Data from the three months to end-June show seasonally adjusted GDP remained 1.5% below pre-attack levels, Goldman Sachs calculations show.

Israel has thus far had little trouble raising money. It sold some $8 billion of debt on international capital markets this year. Its diaspora bond vehicle, Israel Bonds, is targeting a second annual record haul above $2.7 billion.

But rising borrowing costs, coupled with rising spending and economic pressure, loom.

"There is room for Israel to continue muddling through, given a large domestic investor base that can continue to fund another sizeable deficit," said Roger Mark, analyst in the Fixed Income team at Ninety One.

"However, local investors are looking for at least some signs of consolidation efforts from the government."



Lagarde Dampens ECB Exit Talk, Expects to Finish her Term

FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde reacts during an address to the media after the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, December 18, 2025. REUTERS/Heiko Becker/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde reacts during an address to the media after the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, December 18, 2025. REUTERS/Heiko Becker/File Photo
TT

Lagarde Dampens ECB Exit Talk, Expects to Finish her Term

FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde reacts during an address to the media after the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, December 18, 2025. REUTERS/Heiko Becker/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde reacts during an address to the media after the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, December 18, 2025. REUTERS/Heiko Becker/File Photo

European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde has attempted to calm speculation about her stepping down early that has called into question the central bank's separation from politics, telling the Wall Street Journal she expects to complete her term.

Lagarde's status as leader of Europe's most important financial institution
was plunged into doubt this week after the Financial Times reported she planned to leave her job ahead of next spring's French presidential election, giving outgoing leader
Emmanuel Macron a say in picking her successor.

In an interview with the WSJ on Thursday, Lagarde dampened speculation about an imminent exit but still left the door slightly ajar to the possibility that she might leave before the end of her contract in October 2027.

“When I look back at all these years, I ‌think that we have ‌accomplished a lot, that I have accomplished a lot,” she told the ‌paper. “We ⁠need to consolidate ⁠and make sure that this is really solid and reliable. So my baseline is that it will take until the end of my term.”

Reuters exclusively reported that Lagarde had sent a private message to fellow policymakers reassuring them that she was still concentrating on her job and that they would hear it from her, rather than the press, if she wanted to step down.

The ECB has said that Lagarde has not made a decision about the end of her term, but stopped short of denying the FT report.

Some analysts thought an ⁠early exit risked tangling the ECB up in European politics as it could ‌give the impression of trying to make sure France's eurosceptic far ‌right, which could win next year's presidential vote, had no say in her succession.

Lagarde said last year she intended ‌to complete her term, a commitment she has conspicuously failed to repeat this week.

Bank of France Governor Francois ‌Villeroy de Galhau announced plans to step down from his job last week, in a move that gives President Macron a chance to pick the next French central bank chief, drawing sharp criticism from the far-right who called the move anti-democratic.

Villeroy's early departure and the confusion about Lagarde's future come just as US President Donald Trump is attacking the Federal Reserve, ‌further stoking debates about central bank independence from politics.

"After the recent events in the US, this is another reminder that although central banks are nominally ⁠independent, who leads them and ⁠their worldview is a matter for high politics," economists at Oxford Economics wrote on Friday.

As the head of the euro zone's second largest economy, the French president plays an important role in wider negotiations to select the head of the ECB.

Polls show either far-right National Rally leader Marine Le Pen, or her protege Jordan Bardella, could win the French presidency.

While the party has long dropped a call for France to leave the euro, it is still seen as something of an unknown quantity in central banking circles.

According to Reuters, Lagarde told the WSJ that she viewed her mission as price and financial stability, as well as "protecting the euro, making sure that it is solid and strong and fit for the future of Europe."

She also said that the World Economic Forum was "one of the many options" she was considering once she left the central bank.

When Lagarde's name first emerged as a possible candidate for ECB president in 2019, she said she had no interest in the job and would not leave the International Monetary Fund, where she was the managing director.


Stocks Drop, Oil Rises after Trump Iran Threat

Donald Trump has deployed warships, fighter jets and other military hardware to the Middle East as he puts pressure on Iran. Hannah Tross / US NAVY/AFP
Donald Trump has deployed warships, fighter jets and other military hardware to the Middle East as he puts pressure on Iran. Hannah Tross / US NAVY/AFP
TT

Stocks Drop, Oil Rises after Trump Iran Threat

Donald Trump has deployed warships, fighter jets and other military hardware to the Middle East as he puts pressure on Iran. Hannah Tross / US NAVY/AFP
Donald Trump has deployed warships, fighter jets and other military hardware to the Middle East as he puts pressure on Iran. Hannah Tross / US NAVY/AFP

Most Asia equities fell and oil prices rose on Friday after Donald Trump ratcheted up Middle East tensions by hinting at possible military strikes on Iran if it did not make a "meaningful deal" in nuclear talks.

The remarks fanned geopolitical concerns and cast a pall over a tentative rebound in markets following an AI-fueled sell-off this month.

Traders are also looking ahead to the release of US data later in the day that will provide a fresh snapshot of the world's top economy, said AFP.

A slew of forecast-beating figures over the past few days have lifted optimism about the outlook but tempered expectations for more interest rate cuts.

The US president told the inaugural meeting of the "Board of Peace", his initiative to secure stability in Gaza, that Tehran should make a deal.

"It's proven to be over the years not easy to make a meaningful deal with Iran. We have to make a meaningful deal otherwise bad things happen," he said, as he deployed warships, fighter jets and other military hardware to the region.

He warned that Washington "may have to take it a step further" without any agreement, adding: "You're going to be finding out over the next probably 10 days."

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu earlier warned: "If the ayatollahs make a mistake and attack us, they will receive a response they cannot even imagine."

The threats come days after the United States and Iran held a second round of Omani-mediated talks in Geneva as Washington looks to prevent the country from getting a nuclear bomb, which Tehran says it is not pursuing.

The prospect of a conflict in the crude-rich Middle East has sent oil prices surging this week, and they extended the gains Friday to sit at their highest levels since June.

Equity traders were also spooked.

Hong Kong fell as it reopened from a three-day break, while Tokyo, Sydney, Wellington and Bangkok were also down. However, Seoul continued to rally to a fresh record thanks to more tech buying, with Singapore, Manila and Mumbai also up.

City Index market analyst Matt Simpson said a strike was not certain.

"At its core, this looks like pressure and leverage rather than a prelude to invasion," he wrote.

"The US is pairing military readiness with stalled nuclear negotiations, signaling it has credible strike options if talks fail. That doesn't automatically translate into boots on the ground or a regime-change campaign.

"While military assets dominate headlines, diplomacy is still in motion. The fact talks are continuing at all suggests both sides are still probing for a diplomatic off-ramp before tensions harden further."

Shares in Jakarta slipped even after Trump and Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto reached a trade deal after months of wrangling.

The accord sets a 19 percent tariff on Indonesian goods entering the United States. The Southeast Asian country had been threatened with a potential 32 percent levy before the pact.

Jakarta also agreed to $33 billion in purchases of US energy commodities, agricultural products and aviation-related goods, including Boeing aircraft.


Third ‘Mirkaz AlBalad AlAmeen Platform’ to Open in Makkah on Sunday 

A street in the holy city of Makkah is decorated with Ramadan lights. (SPA)
A street in the holy city of Makkah is decorated with Ramadan lights. (SPA)
TT

Third ‘Mirkaz AlBalad AlAmeen Platform’ to Open in Makkah on Sunday 

A street in the holy city of Makkah is decorated with Ramadan lights. (SPA)
A street in the holy city of Makkah is decorated with Ramadan lights. (SPA)

The third edition of the “Mirkaz ABalad AlAmeen”, a leading platform for exchanging opportunities in Makkah, will kick off on Sunday, under the theme “Makkah Inspires the World.”

The platform, organized by the Holy Makkah Municipality, will feature 15 exceptional Ramadan evenings focused on dialogue, knowledge exchange, and cross-sector engagement.

Makkah Mayor Musad Aldaood said the platform redefines development from Makkah, where faith meets inspiration and values are transformed into a comprehensive civilizational experience.

He noted that the initiative reflects the ambitions of Saudi Vision 2030 and showcases Makkah to the world as a living model of creativity, leadership, and innovation.

The upcoming edition will host more than 65 speakers, including executive leaders and decision-makers from across all three sectors, alongside futurists, entrepreneurs, and leading voices in culture and inspiration from artists, writers, media professionals, and innovators.

The program targets 12 key sectors: technology and digital transformation, financial investment, communications and media, real estate development, transport and logistics, banking services, youth and sports, tourism and culture, hospitality and catering, Hajj and Umrah, the third sector, and healthcare.