In West Bank, Israeli Army Operation Batters War-Depleted Economy

Israeli army vehicles drive along a damaged road near the main entrance to Jenin refugee camp during an ongoing Israeli military operation in the West Bank city of Jenin, 05 February 2025. (EPA)
Israeli army vehicles drive along a damaged road near the main entrance to Jenin refugee camp during an ongoing Israeli military operation in the West Bank city of Jenin, 05 February 2025. (EPA)
TT

In West Bank, Israeli Army Operation Batters War-Depleted Economy

Israeli army vehicles drive along a damaged road near the main entrance to Jenin refugee camp during an ongoing Israeli military operation in the West Bank city of Jenin, 05 February 2025. (EPA)
Israeli army vehicles drive along a damaged road near the main entrance to Jenin refugee camp during an ongoing Israeli military operation in the West Bank city of Jenin, 05 February 2025. (EPA)

When a ceasefire began in Gaza last month, Palestinian activist Ahmad Kilani hoped the pause in fighting would also bring a return to peace in his hometown of Yabad in the occupied West Bank.

But his joy turned to fear when, just two days later on Jan. 21, large columns of Israeli army vehicles backed by helicopters and drones stormed the nearby Jenin refugee camp at the start of a major crackdown in the West Bank.

Israel has since blown up some 20 buildings in the camp, sending plumes of heavy smoke over the densely populated area, and carried out air strikes.

It says it is targeting armed groups that receive support from Iran, including Hamas and Islamic Jihad.

The United Nations' Palestinian relief agency (UNRWA) has said that almost all of Jenin camp's 20,000 residents have been displaced over the past two months.

UNRWA said the area "has been rendered a ghost town" in a statement carried by Reuters.

The Israeli military set up roadblocks and checkpoints across the kidney-shaped stretch of land about 100 km (62 miles) long, and dozens of people were killed or injured in fighting.

"After the ceasefire in Gaza, the war here expanded," Kilani, a member of the Committee for Humanitarian Work in Palestine, an aid group active in the West Bank and Gaza, told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

"We saw destruction that we did not anticipate seeing. Even though we heard about it, we did not expect it to happen so quickly and in this way."

Since that incursion, hundreds of Israeli troops backed by helicopters, drones and armored vehicles have been waging sporadic gun battles with Palestinian fighters while carrying out searches in streets and alleyways for weapons and equipment.

At least 25 Palestinians have been killed, including nine members of armed groups, a 73-year-old man and a 2-year-old girl, according to Palestinian officials. The Israeli military says it has killed at least 35 gunmen and detained more than 100 wanted people.

Israeli roadblocks have made travelling even short distances between towns and villages into an hours-long trial for Palestinians.

"Nothing can describe the situation we are living in, and every day is worse than the day before. If we discuss something now, it would be worse in a couple of hours," Kilani said.

Relatively well-off friends who once raced to dish out alms and aid are now themselves on the lookout for charity, he said. People have locked themselves indoors to avoid the incessant security operations and Israeli checkpoints, he added.

"Sometimes I scream at myself - what are we headed towards?"

ECONOMIC FREE FALL

The war in Gaza - where more than 47,000 people have been killed and almost the entire population of 2.3 million displaced in a landscape reduced to rubble by Israeli air strikes - was already taking a heavy toll on the occupied West Bank's economy.

The conflict started on Oct. 7, 2023 when Hamas-led fighters attacked southern Israel, killing about 1,200 people and seizing 250 hostages, according to Israeli tallies.

Hundreds of people have been killed in the West Bank since the start of the war in Gaza. Many of the dead were gunmen, but young people throwing stones and civilians were also killed, and thousands have been arrested.

Palestinian attacks in the West Bank and Israel have also killed dozens of Israelis. On Tuesday, two Israeli soldiers were killed and eight wounded when a gunman opened fire on troops in the area, setting off a gunfight in which the shooter was killed by Israeli soldiers, the Israeli military said.

Economic activity in the occupied West Bank fell by 23% in first half of 2024, the World Bank said in a report in December.

Unemployment stands at about 35% as Palestinian laborers have been banned from travelling to work in Israel since October 2023.

Before then, about 177,000 Palestinians worked in Israel. By the second quarter of 2024, the number had dropped to 27,000, the World Bank said.

Many of the Palestinians employed by the Israeli economy work in settlements in the West Bank, according to the International Labour Organization (ILO).

"The conflict's impact has now exceeded all previous economic crises in the Palestinian territories over the past two decades," the World Bank report noted.

Economic contraction in the occupied West Bank is estimated to have more than doubled the short-term poverty rate from 12% in 2023 to 28% by mid-2024, the ILO said last year.

In August, Israeli banks began refusing shekel cash transfers from Palestinian banks in the West Bank, a move that Palestinian officials said could soon prevent Palestinians from accessing vital goods and services.

Olive oil bandits have also appeared as desperate people steal olives from groves with the intent of pressing them into oil and selling them on the black market, Kilani said.

"This wasn't something that existed before," he said.

He described a society coming apart at the seams.

"It is not that one school is closed; it is that schools have been closed for a year; health (clinics) are closed, and people cannot get their medicine," Kilani said.

"Companies are closing, banks are closing, and people cannot get to their lands to plant them."

NO WORK

Israel has occupied the West Bank of the Jordan River, which Palestinians want as the core of an independent state, since the 1967 Middle East war.

It has built Jewish settlements there that most countries deem illegal. Israel disputes this and cites historical and Biblical ties to the land.

The United Nations Human Rights office says the new Israeli military operation in the West Bank could endanger the Gaza ceasefire and has called for an immediate end to the violence and a halt on expanding settlements.

As economic prospects disappear, residents like Robeen Idris are becoming increasingly desperate.

The 45-year-old lives in Hebron in the southern West Bank with his wife, seven children and parents. His mother has cancer, and his dad wears a pacemaker.

"There is no work because the roads are closed, and the situation is difficult," he said. "I cannot spend money to buy them food, water, and medicine."

Idris has been unemployed since August 2023. Before then, he worked in sanitation in Israeli hotels. Now those jobs are out of reach, and he has developed diabetes, which he blames on stress.

Economic conditions are forcing business and factory owners to cut their workforce, often replacing laborers like himself with their own family members, he added.

"There is no need for them to employ strangers," he said.



Lagarde Dampens ECB Exit Talk, Expects to Finish her Term

FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde reacts during an address to the media after the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, December 18, 2025. REUTERS/Heiko Becker/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde reacts during an address to the media after the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, December 18, 2025. REUTERS/Heiko Becker/File Photo
TT

Lagarde Dampens ECB Exit Talk, Expects to Finish her Term

FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde reacts during an address to the media after the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, December 18, 2025. REUTERS/Heiko Becker/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde reacts during an address to the media after the ECB's Governing Council meeting, at the ECB headquarters in Frankfurt, Germany, December 18, 2025. REUTERS/Heiko Becker/File Photo

European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde has attempted to calm speculation about her stepping down early that has called into question the central bank's separation from politics, telling the Wall Street Journal she expects to complete her term.

Lagarde's status as leader of Europe's most important financial institution
was plunged into doubt this week after the Financial Times reported she planned to leave her job ahead of next spring's French presidential election, giving outgoing leader
Emmanuel Macron a say in picking her successor.

In an interview with the WSJ on Thursday, Lagarde dampened speculation about an imminent exit but still left the door slightly ajar to the possibility that she might leave before the end of her contract in October 2027.

“When I look back at all these years, I ‌think that we have ‌accomplished a lot, that I have accomplished a lot,” she told the ‌paper. “We ⁠need to consolidate ⁠and make sure that this is really solid and reliable. So my baseline is that it will take until the end of my term.”

Reuters exclusively reported that Lagarde had sent a private message to fellow policymakers reassuring them that she was still concentrating on her job and that they would hear it from her, rather than the press, if she wanted to step down.

The ECB has said that Lagarde has not made a decision about the end of her term, but stopped short of denying the FT report.

Some analysts thought an ⁠early exit risked tangling the ECB up in European politics as it could ‌give the impression of trying to make sure France's eurosceptic far ‌right, which could win next year's presidential vote, had no say in her succession.

Lagarde said last year she intended ‌to complete her term, a commitment she has conspicuously failed to repeat this week.

Bank of France Governor Francois ‌Villeroy de Galhau announced plans to step down from his job last week, in a move that gives President Macron a chance to pick the next French central bank chief, drawing sharp criticism from the far-right who called the move anti-democratic.

Villeroy's early departure and the confusion about Lagarde's future come just as US President Donald Trump is attacking the Federal Reserve, ‌further stoking debates about central bank independence from politics.

"After the recent events in the US, this is another reminder that although central banks are nominally ⁠independent, who leads them and ⁠their worldview is a matter for high politics," economists at Oxford Economics wrote on Friday.

As the head of the euro zone's second largest economy, the French president plays an important role in wider negotiations to select the head of the ECB.

Polls show either far-right National Rally leader Marine Le Pen, or her protege Jordan Bardella, could win the French presidency.

While the party has long dropped a call for France to leave the euro, it is still seen as something of an unknown quantity in central banking circles.

According to Reuters, Lagarde told the WSJ that she viewed her mission as price and financial stability, as well as "protecting the euro, making sure that it is solid and strong and fit for the future of Europe."

She also said that the World Economic Forum was "one of the many options" she was considering once she left the central bank.

When Lagarde's name first emerged as a possible candidate for ECB president in 2019, she said she had no interest in the job and would not leave the International Monetary Fund, where she was the managing director.


Stocks Drop, Oil Rises after Trump Iran Threat

Donald Trump has deployed warships, fighter jets and other military hardware to the Middle East as he puts pressure on Iran. Hannah Tross / US NAVY/AFP
Donald Trump has deployed warships, fighter jets and other military hardware to the Middle East as he puts pressure on Iran. Hannah Tross / US NAVY/AFP
TT

Stocks Drop, Oil Rises after Trump Iran Threat

Donald Trump has deployed warships, fighter jets and other military hardware to the Middle East as he puts pressure on Iran. Hannah Tross / US NAVY/AFP
Donald Trump has deployed warships, fighter jets and other military hardware to the Middle East as he puts pressure on Iran. Hannah Tross / US NAVY/AFP

Most Asia equities fell and oil prices rose on Friday after Donald Trump ratcheted up Middle East tensions by hinting at possible military strikes on Iran if it did not make a "meaningful deal" in nuclear talks.

The remarks fanned geopolitical concerns and cast a pall over a tentative rebound in markets following an AI-fueled sell-off this month.

Traders are also looking ahead to the release of US data later in the day that will provide a fresh snapshot of the world's top economy, said AFP.

A slew of forecast-beating figures over the past few days have lifted optimism about the outlook but tempered expectations for more interest rate cuts.

The US president told the inaugural meeting of the "Board of Peace", his initiative to secure stability in Gaza, that Tehran should make a deal.

"It's proven to be over the years not easy to make a meaningful deal with Iran. We have to make a meaningful deal otherwise bad things happen," he said, as he deployed warships, fighter jets and other military hardware to the region.

He warned that Washington "may have to take it a step further" without any agreement, adding: "You're going to be finding out over the next probably 10 days."

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu earlier warned: "If the ayatollahs make a mistake and attack us, they will receive a response they cannot even imagine."

The threats come days after the United States and Iran held a second round of Omani-mediated talks in Geneva as Washington looks to prevent the country from getting a nuclear bomb, which Tehran says it is not pursuing.

The prospect of a conflict in the crude-rich Middle East has sent oil prices surging this week, and they extended the gains Friday to sit at their highest levels since June.

Equity traders were also spooked.

Hong Kong fell as it reopened from a three-day break, while Tokyo, Sydney, Wellington and Bangkok were also down. However, Seoul continued to rally to a fresh record thanks to more tech buying, with Singapore, Manila and Mumbai also up.

City Index market analyst Matt Simpson said a strike was not certain.

"At its core, this looks like pressure and leverage rather than a prelude to invasion," he wrote.

"The US is pairing military readiness with stalled nuclear negotiations, signaling it has credible strike options if talks fail. That doesn't automatically translate into boots on the ground or a regime-change campaign.

"While military assets dominate headlines, diplomacy is still in motion. The fact talks are continuing at all suggests both sides are still probing for a diplomatic off-ramp before tensions harden further."

Shares in Jakarta slipped even after Trump and Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto reached a trade deal after months of wrangling.

The accord sets a 19 percent tariff on Indonesian goods entering the United States. The Southeast Asian country had been threatened with a potential 32 percent levy before the pact.

Jakarta also agreed to $33 billion in purchases of US energy commodities, agricultural products and aviation-related goods, including Boeing aircraft.


Third ‘Mirkaz AlBalad AlAmeen Platform’ to Open in Makkah on Sunday 

A street in the holy city of Makkah is decorated with Ramadan lights. (SPA)
A street in the holy city of Makkah is decorated with Ramadan lights. (SPA)
TT

Third ‘Mirkaz AlBalad AlAmeen Platform’ to Open in Makkah on Sunday 

A street in the holy city of Makkah is decorated with Ramadan lights. (SPA)
A street in the holy city of Makkah is decorated with Ramadan lights. (SPA)

The third edition of the “Mirkaz ABalad AlAmeen”, a leading platform for exchanging opportunities in Makkah, will kick off on Sunday, under the theme “Makkah Inspires the World.”

The platform, organized by the Holy Makkah Municipality, will feature 15 exceptional Ramadan evenings focused on dialogue, knowledge exchange, and cross-sector engagement.

Makkah Mayor Musad Aldaood said the platform redefines development from Makkah, where faith meets inspiration and values are transformed into a comprehensive civilizational experience.

He noted that the initiative reflects the ambitions of Saudi Vision 2030 and showcases Makkah to the world as a living model of creativity, leadership, and innovation.

The upcoming edition will host more than 65 speakers, including executive leaders and decision-makers from across all three sectors, alongside futurists, entrepreneurs, and leading voices in culture and inspiration from artists, writers, media professionals, and innovators.

The program targets 12 key sectors: technology and digital transformation, financial investment, communications and media, real estate development, transport and logistics, banking services, youth and sports, tourism and culture, hospitality and catering, Hajj and Umrah, the third sector, and healthcare.