Trump Orders New Tariff Probe into US Copper Imports

US President Donald Trump holds a hat reading "Trump was right about everything" after signing an Executive Order at the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, DC on February 25, 2025. (AFP)
US President Donald Trump holds a hat reading "Trump was right about everything" after signing an Executive Order at the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, DC on February 25, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Trump Orders New Tariff Probe into US Copper Imports

US President Donald Trump holds a hat reading "Trump was right about everything" after signing an Executive Order at the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, DC on February 25, 2025. (AFP)
US President Donald Trump holds a hat reading "Trump was right about everything" after signing an Executive Order at the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, DC on February 25, 2025. (AFP)

US President Donald Trump opened yet another front on Tuesday in his assault on global trade norms, ordering a probe into potential new tariffs on copper imports to rebuild US production of a metal critical to electric vehicles, military hardware, the power grid and many consumer goods.

Trump, looking to thwart what his advisers see as a move by China to dominate the global copper market, signed an order at the White House directing Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick to start a national security probe under Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962. That is the same law Trump used in his first term to impose 25% global tariffs on steel and aluminum.

A White House official, briefing reporters on condition of anonymity, said any potential tariff rate would be determined by the investigation, adding that Trump preferred tariffs over quotas.

The move is the latest by Trump to upend decades of business support for free trade that he railed against as both candidate and president for hollowing out the US industrial base, an upheaval now aimed at long-time US allies like Canada and Mexico as well geopolitical adversaries like China.

He has issued a cascade of tariff orders since taking up residency in the White House for a second term last month. While only a new 10% levy on all imports from China is in place, 25%duties on goods from Canada and Mexico are set to take effect next week and others aimed at steel, aluminum and motor vehicles will follow shortly afterward or are in fast-track development.

Trump's blitz has begun to take a toll on consumer confidence, which had initially surged following his election victory in November over former President Joe Biden as Trump promised to bring down living costs. Earlier on Tuesday the Conference Board reported the largest drop in consumer confidence in three-and-a-half years, with households expecting a resurgence in inflation.

Ahead of the copper announcement, stocks fell on Wall Street for a fourth straight day, a drop pinned on growing uncertainty about Trump policies on trade in particular.

But there were pockets of upside among perceived winners: Shares of the world's largest copper producer, Phoenix-based Freeport-McMoran shot up 5% in after-hours trading. The company, which produced 1.26 billions of copper in the U.S. last year, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

London-based Antofagasta declined to comment on Trump's action. The company is trying to develop the $1.7 billion Twin Metals copper and nickel mine in Minnesota, but saw its mineral rights blocked under former president Biden's administration over water pollution concerns.

Trump has vowed to ease regulations on businesses to boost US economic growth.

TARGETING CHINA

White House trade adviser Peter Navarro said the investigation would be completed quickly, "in Trump time."

Navarro said China was using state subsidies and excess capacity to undermine competition and gain control over global copper production, in much the same way it now dominates steel and aluminum production.

That said, the countries set to be most affected by any new US copper tariffs would be Chile, Canada and Mexico, which were the top suppliers of refined copper, copper alloys and copper articles in 2024, according to US Census Bureau data.

"Like our steel and aluminum industries, our great American copper industry has been decimated by global actors attacking our domestic production," Lutnick said during the White House signing session, vowing to end unfair trade practices that have put Americans out of work.

"American industries depend on copper, and it should be made in America, no exemptions, no exceptions," he said. "It's time for copper to come home."

A White House fact sheet said the investigation would assess the national security risks from growing US dependence on imported copper "in all its forms," citing data showing the US depended on imports for 45% of its copper consumption last year, up sharply from the early 1990s.

The White House official said the investigation, which also includes the US Trade Representative's office, would look at imports of raw mined copper, copper concentrates, copper alloy, scrap copper and derivative products made from the metal. The official declined to identify any specific derivatives, saying that would prejudge the investigation.

The official said the Department of Energy recognized copper as a critical material in the medium term due to increased demand for solar energy technologies and global electrification, noting that it was the second most widely used material in US weapons platforms.

MORE CAPACITY NEEDED

The official said based on current demand for electric vehicles and power-hungry artificial intelligence applications, there will be a US copper shortage in the future, and the United States cannot develop adequate copper smelting and refining capacity unless there is a reasonable certainty of long-lasting trade protection for the sector.

During Tuesday's signing, Lutnick also said the Trump administration would hold countries accountable for imposing digital services taxes on US technology firms including Google, Apple and Amazon. Trump on Friday ordered USTR to revive tariff investigations into these taxes.

"Both friend and foe have been treating American tech companies, partially, as if our companies are their piggy bank," Lutnick said. "This will now end. It is my objective to level the playing field and end these attacks."



Türkiye TPAO, Shell Sign Deal to Carry out Exploration Work offshore Bulgaria

A Shell logo is seen at a gas station in Buenos Aires, Argentina, March 12, 2018. (Reuters)
A Shell logo is seen at a gas station in Buenos Aires, Argentina, March 12, 2018. (Reuters)
TT

Türkiye TPAO, Shell Sign Deal to Carry out Exploration Work offshore Bulgaria

A Shell logo is seen at a gas station in Buenos Aires, Argentina, March 12, 2018. (Reuters)
A Shell logo is seen at a gas station in Buenos Aires, Argentina, March 12, 2018. (Reuters)

Türkiye Petrolleri (TPAO) has signed a partnership agreement with Shell to carry out exploration work in Bulgaria's maritime zone, the Turkish energy ministry and British oil major said on Wednesday.

European Union member Bulgaria, which had been totally dependent on Russian gas until 2022, has been seeking to diversify its gas supplies and find cheaper sources, Reuters reported.

TPAO and Shell will jointly explore the Khan Tervel block, located near Türkiye's Sakarya gas field, and will hold a five-year licence in Bulgaria's exclusive economic zone, Minister Alparslan Bayraktar said.

Shell will continue as operator of the block, while TPAO will take a 33% interest in the licence, a Shell spokesperson said.

Since the start of this year, TPAO has signed energy cooperation agreements with ExxonMobil, Chevron and BP for possible exploration work in the Black Sea and the Mediterranean.

In April, Shell signed a contract with Bulgaria's government to allow the oil major to explore 4,000 square metres in the block.


Saudia Signs Strategic Partnership Agreement with Six Flags and Aquarabia Qiddiya City

udia will develop special travel packages designed to enable visitors to experience world-class attractions - SPA
udia will develop special travel packages designed to enable visitors to experience world-class attractions - SPA
TT

Saudia Signs Strategic Partnership Agreement with Six Flags and Aquarabia Qiddiya City

udia will develop special travel packages designed to enable visitors to experience world-class attractions - SPA
udia will develop special travel packages designed to enable visitors to experience world-class attractions - SPA

Saudia Airlines has signed a five-year strategic partnership with Six Flags and Aquarabia Qiddiya City, becoming the official premier partner exclusively in the airline category.

As part of the partnership, Saudia will develop special travel packages designed to enable visitors to experience world-class attractions. The collaboration also brings the spirit of Six Flags and Aquarabia Qiddiya City to the skies through special aircraft branding across Saudia’s fleet, SPA reported. 

Chief Marketing Officer of Saudia Group Khaled Tash said in a press release: "Saudia is committed to supporting national development projects as part of its contribution to Vision 2030, aligned with our strategy to bring the world to the Kingdom. Partnerships of this scale with national partners play a key role in positioning Saudi Arabia as a leading global destination for entertainment and tourism."

Park President of Six Flags and Aquarabia Qiddiya City Brian Machamer added: "Our partnership with Saudia not only reflects a shared ambition to connect the Kingdom to the world through world-class entertainment experiences, but strengthens our ability to attract visitors from around the world and realize our vision of setting a new global benchmark for immersive, world-class theme park entertainment and reinforcing Saudi Arabia’s growing presence on the global tourism stage."

Six Flags Qiddiya City sets a new benchmark for exceptional entertainment regionally and globally. Spanning six iconic themed lands, the theme park takes visitors on an immersive journey across 28 rides and attractions designed to world-class standards. Beyond the scale and diversity of its offerings, Six Flags Qiddiya City stands out for pushing the boundaries of engineering and entertainment, featuring five exclusive, record-breaking rides that have redefined global benchmarks. Leading these innovations is Falcons Flight, the roller coaster that has captured global attention as the fastest, tallest, and longest in the world.

Aquarabia Qiddiya City delivers a distinctive aquatic entertainment experience, offering 22 rides and water attractions, along with a man-made river designed for both relaxation and family-friendly water fun. For guests seeking privacy and elevated comfort, Aquarabia features 91 luxury cabanas, positioning the destination as a fully integrated leisure offering that redefines water-based entertainment to the highest international standards.

Located in the Tuwaiq Mountains near Riyadh, Qiddiya City is an emerging destination bringing together entertainment, sports, and culture. Six Flags and Aquarabia Qiddiya City form part of its entertainment offering.


Moody’s Establishes Regional HQ in Riyadh, Deepening Presence in Region

(FILES) Signage for Moody's Corporation is displayed at their headquarters at 7 World Trade Center on March 18, 2025 in New York City. (Photo by ANGELA WEISS / AFP)
(FILES) Signage for Moody's Corporation is displayed at their headquarters at 7 World Trade Center on March 18, 2025 in New York City. (Photo by ANGELA WEISS / AFP)
TT

Moody’s Establishes Regional HQ in Riyadh, Deepening Presence in Region

(FILES) Signage for Moody's Corporation is displayed at their headquarters at 7 World Trade Center on March 18, 2025 in New York City. (Photo by ANGELA WEISS / AFP)
(FILES) Signage for Moody's Corporation is displayed at their headquarters at 7 World Trade Center on March 18, 2025 in New York City. (Photo by ANGELA WEISS / AFP)

Moody’s Corporation announced that it has established its regional headquarters in Riyadh, reflecting ongoing commitment to support the development of the Kingdom’s capital markets and economy.

“This investment aligns to the Kingdom's Vision 2030 initiative and underscores its dynamism and growth,” Moody’s said in a statement this week.

The new regional headquarters marks an expansion of Moody’s presence in Saudi Arabia, where the company first opened an office in 2018, and reflects its longstanding commitment to the Middle East.

“The headquarters will strengthen Moody’s engagement with Saudi institutions and enable broader access to Moody’s decision grade data, analytics and insights,” said the statement.

“Our decision to establish a regional headquarters in Riyadh reflects our confidence in Saudi Arabia’s strong economic momentum, as well as our commitment to helping domestic and international investors unlock opportunities with our expertise and insights,” said President and Chief Executive Officer of Moody’s Rob Fauber.

“We are well positioned to provide the analytical capabilities and market intelligence that investors and institutions need to navigate evolving markets across the Middle East,” the statement quoted him as saying.

Mahmoud Totonji will lead the regional headquarters as General Manager.