Pessimism Grows over Iraq’s Prospects for Resuming Oil Exports

An Iraqi petroleum products tanker (Iraqi News Agency) 
An Iraqi petroleum products tanker (Iraqi News Agency) 
TT

Pessimism Grows over Iraq’s Prospects for Resuming Oil Exports

An Iraqi petroleum products tanker (Iraqi News Agency) 
An Iraqi petroleum products tanker (Iraqi News Agency) 

A growing number of Iraqi oil and economic experts are voicing pessimism about the country’s ability to resume crude exports via the Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz, despite Iran’s announcement of an “exception” allowing Iraqi shipments to pass as those of a “friendly country”.

Iraq has suffered a sharp blow to its oil sector following the US-Israeli conflict with Iran and the closure of the Strait of Hormuz, losing roughly three-quarters of its exports. The country had been producing about 3.5 million barrels per day, but current export volumes have dropped to around one million barrels per day, most of which is diverted to domestic consumption.

More than 300,000 barrels per day are still exported via the Kurdistan Region through Türkiye’s Ceyhan port, while smaller quantities are transported overland by tanker trucks to Jordan and Syria.

As a result of the collapse in exports, Iraq is expected to face a monthly fiscal deficit of between $5 billion and $6 billion, placing the government under severe financial strain, economists say.

While Iran’s decision has been welcomed by its allies and sympathizers as a positive step for Iraq, sceptics argue that resuming exports is far more complex than a political declaration. They point to complex web of technical, security and logistical challenges involving maritime risk, insurance costs, shipping company behavior and contractual arrangements.

Security concerns remain acute. Despite the Iranian exemption, four oil facilities in the southern province of Basra were targeted by drone attacks over the past two days, reportedly carried out by Iran-backed armed factions seeking to pressure foreign companies to leave Iraq. The incidents raise questions about the consistency between Tehran’s declared position and the actions of allied groups on the ground.

Former oil ministry spokesman Assem Jihad said Iraq’s export capacity is governed by “fundamental realities” that make a swift return to normal operations unlikely.

In comments posted on Facebook, he noted that Iraq does not rely on its own fleet of supertankers to export crude. Instead, the State Organization for Marketing of Oil (SOMO) sells oil under contracts whereby buyers arrange shipping and lift cargoes from Iraqi ports.

The key issue, he explained, is not a lack of contracts but the reluctance of global shipping companies and tanker owners to enter what is now considered a high-risk zone. Even if buyers are willing, securing vessels prepared to dock at southern Iraqi ports or operate near conflict areas remains a major obstacle.

Insurance costs have also surged. Companies face steep premiums for vessels transiting conflict zones, discouraging participation. “Even with statements allowing passage, that does not necessarily translate into a safe and secure shipping environment,” Jihad said, adding that insurers and shipping firms base decisions on actual risk assessments rather than political assurances.

He argued that exports would only resume once confidence returns to maritime markets, risks decline and insurance costs fall.

Economic researcher Ziad al-Hashimi outlined additional barriers preventing Iraq from benefiting from the Iranian decision.

Writing on X, he said Iraq’s oil production, service companies and southern export terminals are currently operating under “force majeure”, a status declared on March 20 across fields run by foreign firms. Lifting this clause could take time, as companies would require assurances that operations will not be targeted again.

“Its removal is not a quick process,” he noted, warning of “real risk” if exports resume without improved security guarantees.

Al-Hashimi also pointed to ongoing attacks on oil fields, saying that many service companies have evacuated staff and suspended operations. “Work will not return to normal as long as the war continues,” he underlined.

He further questioned the practicality of Iran’s exemption, which applies to loaded Iraqi tankers exiting Hormuz. “How will empty vessels enter the strait to reach Iraq, and who will guarantee their safety?” he asked.

The government and oil ministry have meanwhile faced criticism for failing to take precautionary measures to safeguard production, Iraq’s main source of national income. Critics say Baghdad should have diversified export routes or maintained floating storage capacity, as many oil-producing countries do.

According to Basra-based economist Nabil al-Marsoumi, Iraq’s state tanker company, established in 1972, currently owns just six vessels for refined products with a combined capacity of 117,000 tons. Four of these ships are over 15 years old, requiring more frequent maintenance.

The company no longer owns any crude oil tankers, he added, compared with 25 vessels totaling 1.485 million tons in 1983.

On the diplomatic front, Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein on Sunday thanked Iran for allowing Iraqi oil tankers to transit Hormuz during a meeting with Iranian ambassador Mohammad Kazem Al Sadeq.

A foreign ministry statement said the two sides discussed mechanisms to ensure implementation of the arrangement and broader regional developments. Hussein reiterated Iraq’s opposition to war and stressed the need for dialogue and peaceful conflict resolution.

Separately, data from the London Stock Exchange Group and analytics firm Kpler indicated that a tanker carrying Iraqi crude had passed through the Strait of Hormuz near Iran’s coast. The vessel, Ocean Thunder, loaded about one million barrels of Basra Heavy crude on March 2 and is expected to discharge in Malaysia in mid-April.

 

 



Saudi Airports Handle 141 Million Passengers in 2025 as Aircraft Fleet Expands

Travelers move through stanchion lines at the departure terminal of King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh. (AFP)
Travelers move through stanchion lines at the departure terminal of King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh. (AFP)
TT

Saudi Airports Handle 141 Million Passengers in 2025 as Aircraft Fleet Expands

Travelers move through stanchion lines at the departure terminal of King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh. (AFP)
Travelers move through stanchion lines at the departure terminal of King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh. (AFP)

Saudi Arabia’s airports handled 140.9 million passengers in 2025, marking another year of strong growth for the Kingdom’s aviation sector as the national aircraft fleet expanded by 33.8%, according to data released by the General Authority for Statistics.

The number of passengers traveling through Saudi airports rose 9.6% from 2024, reflecting the Kingdom’s accelerating push to strengthen its position as a regional travel hub and global aviation gateway.

International traffic accounted for 75.8 million passengers, up 9.4% year-on-year, while domestic passenger traffic increased 9.8% to 65.1 million. On average, Saudi airports handled around 207,700 international passengers and 178,600 domestic passengers a day.

King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah remained the Kingdom’s busiest airport, handling 53.5 million passengers during the year, an increase of 9.0% from 2024. King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh followed with 40.8 million passengers, up 8.7%, while King Fahd International Airport in Dammam handled 13.7 million passengers, posting annual growth of 7.0%.

The increase in passenger traffic was accompanied by a rise in flight activity across the Kingdom’s airports. Total arriving and departing flights climbed 8.3% year-on-year to 979,800 flights in 2025, including 506,300 domestic flights, up 6.8%, and 473,500 international flights, up 9.9%.

King Abdulaziz International Airport also recorded the highest number of aircraft movements with 314,400 flights, followed by King Khalid International Airport with 296,800 flights and King Fahd International Airport with 108,500 flights.

Saudi Arabia’s aviation fleet recorded one of the strongest areas of growth during the year, with the total number of commercial and general aviation aircraft rising to 483 from the previous year’s level. The fleet included 266 commercial aircraft and 217 aircraft dedicated to general aviation.

Aircraft with capacities ranging from 151 to 250 seats accounted for the largest share of the commercial fleet at 120 aircraft, while the sector continued to modernize its operations, with 99 aircraft less than five years old.

The Kingdom also expanded its global air connectivity during 2025, with Saudi airports linked to 66 countries worldwide, up 1.5% from a year earlier. The total number of domestic and international destinations connected to the Kingdom rose 2.3% to 176 destinations.

Saudi Arabia ranked 18th globally in the 2025 Air Connectivity Index, underscoring the sector’s growing international reach.

Saudia accounted for the largest share of flights operating in Saudi airspace at 25.5%, followed by low-cost carrier flynas at 13.3% and flyadeal at 8.6%.

Air cargo volumes handled through Saudi airports totaled 1.18 million metric tons in 2025, with imports accounting for the largest share at 695,600 tons. Transit cargo reached nearly 420,100 tons, while exports exceeded 69,700 tons.

March recorded the highest monthly cargo throughput of the year, with more than 113,400 tons handled during the month.

The Kingdom also continued to expand logistics infrastructure at its main airports to support cargo growth and broader supply chain ambitions. King Fahd International Airport operated nine cargo facilities, while King Khalid International Airport had eight facilities and King Abdulaziz International Airport operated four integrated cargo facilities.

The expansion forms part of Saudi Arabia’s strategy to position itself as a global logistics hub linking Asia, Africa and Europe.


Supertanker with Iraqi Oil Heads for Vietnam After Hold-up in US Blockade

Tankers are seen off the coast of the Fujairah, as Iran vows to close the Strait of Hormuz, amid the US-Israel conflict with Iran, in Fujairah, United Arab Emirates, March 3, 2026. (Reuters)
Tankers are seen off the coast of the Fujairah, as Iran vows to close the Strait of Hormuz, amid the US-Israel conflict with Iran, in Fujairah, United Arab Emirates, March 3, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Supertanker with Iraqi Oil Heads for Vietnam After Hold-up in US Blockade

Tankers are seen off the coast of the Fujairah, as Iran vows to close the Strait of Hormuz, amid the US-Israel conflict with Iran, in Fujairah, United Arab Emirates, March 3, 2026. (Reuters)
Tankers are seen off the coast of the Fujairah, as Iran vows to close the Strait of Hormuz, amid the US-Israel conflict with Iran, in Fujairah, United Arab Emirates, March 3, 2026. (Reuters)

Supertanker Agios Fanourios I is heading for Vietnam to discharge its Iraqi crude oil cargo after it was held by the US Navy for five days in the Gulf of Oman, the vessel's manager said on Monday.

The Maltese-flagged Very Large Crude Carrier sailed out of the Strait of Hormuz on May 10 and was sailing in the Gulf of Oman before making a ‌U-turn on ‌May 11.

It resumed its journey ‌toward ⁠Vietnam on May 16 ⁠and is expected to arrive at the Nghi Son refinery on May 30, LSEG shipping data showed.

A VLCC can carry a maximum of two million barrels of oil.

A source at the vessel's Athens-based manager Eastern Mediterranean Maritime, who spoke on condition of ⁠anonymity, confirmed that the tanker was sailing ‌on to Vietnam after ‌it had received US Navy approval.

The US military's Central Command ‌said last week that the vessel was redirected as ‌part of ongoing enforcement of the blockade against Iran.

At least two other crude tankers sailed from the strait last week, but overall crude traffic through the strait has ‌remained limited.

Before the war on Iran began, the Strait of Hormuz was the conduit ⁠for 20% ⁠of the world's energy supplies, equating to 125 to 140 daily passages.

"Shipping confidence around Hormuz is still very weak," ship broker Clarksons said in a note on Monday.

A further 12 ships crossed the strait in the past 24 hours, including two liquefied petroleum gas tankers bound for India, according to satellite analysis from data analytics specialists SynMax.

A separate LPG tanker was sailing through the strait on Monday also bound for India, data on the MarineTraffic platform showed.


Asian Markets Cautious, Oil Dips after Trump Holds Off on Iran Attack

Vessels are seen anchored in the Strait of Hormuz, off the port city of Khasab on Oman's northern Musandam Peninsula on May 17, 2026. AFP
Vessels are seen anchored in the Strait of Hormuz, off the port city of Khasab on Oman's northern Musandam Peninsula on May 17, 2026. AFP
TT

Asian Markets Cautious, Oil Dips after Trump Holds Off on Iran Attack

Vessels are seen anchored in the Strait of Hormuz, off the port city of Khasab on Oman's northern Musandam Peninsula on May 17, 2026. AFP
Vessels are seen anchored in the Strait of Hormuz, off the port city of Khasab on Oman's northern Musandam Peninsula on May 17, 2026. AFP

Asian markets were mixed Tuesday as oil prices eased on hopes of a US-Iran deal, though elevated crude levels capped investor appetite for risk.

Energy markets held center stage after US President Donald Trump signaled "serious negotiations" with Tehran and called off planned strikes, boosting optimism that tensions could.

The war the United States and Israel launched February 28 has led to an effective blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, through which around 20 percent of global oil exports passed in peacetime.

The leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates asked him "to hold off on our planned Military attack of the Islamic Republic of Iran, which was scheduled for tomorrow, in that serious negotiations are now taking place", Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform.

But Trump added that he instructed the US military to be "prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment's notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached".

Speaking later at a White House event, Trump said there had been a "very positive development" and that Arab allies said a deal was near that would leave Iran without nuclear weapons, which Tehran denies pursuing.

"There seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I'd be very happy," Trump said.

However, he also warned the United States was prepared to launch a "full, large-scale assault" if negotiations collapse, underscoring the fragility of the situation.

Oil dipped on the prospect of diplomacy, but the move offered only limited relief after weeks of volatility driven by the Middle East conflict.

International benchmark Brent was hovering around $109 while West Texas Intermediate at $107.

Equity performance wavered.

Tokyo's Nikkei 225 opened lower, with local jitters offset by local resilience. Japan's gross domestic product expanded 0.5 percent in the first quarter, exceeding market forecasts of 0.4 percent.

Seoul's Kospi slid by more than four percent, with tech stocks losing ground after taking their lead from Wall Street. Shanghai, Taipei and Jakarta also slid.

Hong Kong, Sydney and Wellington were ahead.

Safe-haven demand was higher, with both gold and silver edging up, suggesting investors remain wary.

All eyes are on Wednesday's quarterly results from US chip titan Nvidia, which will be scrutinized as investors question whether huge spending on AI data centers is justified by potential returns.