Saudi Economy Surpasses $1 Trillion Mark, Grows 80% Since Vision 2030’s Launch

The Saudi Center for Competitiveness and Business offers support for investors in the local market (SPA)
The Saudi Center for Competitiveness and Business offers support for investors in the local market (SPA)
TT

Saudi Economy Surpasses $1 Trillion Mark, Grows 80% Since Vision 2030’s Launch

The Saudi Center for Competitiveness and Business offers support for investors in the local market (SPA)
The Saudi Center for Competitiveness and Business offers support for investors in the local market (SPA)

Saudi Arabia’s economy has surpassed the $1 trillion mark for the first time, expanding by 80 percent since the launch of Vision 2030, according to the Kingdom’s 2025 Vision 2030 report.

The milestone underscores the impact of fiscal reforms and diversification efforts aimed at reducing dependence on oil. Non-oil activities now account for 55 percent of the economy, up from 45 percent in 2016, while non-oil government revenues have risen more than 170 percent, from SAR185.7 billion ($49.5 billion) in 2016 to SAR505 billion ($134.6 billion) last year.

The report said the gains reflected investment in growth sectors, legal reforms and a more attractive business climate.

Fiscal discipline, rising liquidity

Saudi authorities noted that fiscal policy remained anchored in spending discipline and sustainability, with deficit targets ranging between 5 percent and 7 percent of gross domestic product.

Liquidity reached a record SAR3.167 trillion in 2025, up from about SAR1.799 trillion in 2016.

Officials said expansionary spending had been directed toward strategic sectors linked to economic growth and living standards.

Debt low, reserves rise

Despite higher spending, Saudi Arabia has maintained one of the lowest debt burdens in the G20, with public debt below 50 percent of GDP. Foreign reserves rose to SAR1.7 trillion ($453.3 billion), their highest level in five years.

Real GDP growth accelerated from 1.7 percent in 2016 to 4.5 percent last year, the report said.

Competitiveness gains

Saudi Arabia rose 15 places between 2021 and 2025 in the IMD World Competitiveness Yearbook to rank 17th globally, placing fourth among G20 countries last year.

The government introduced more than 1,000 reforms and 1,200 regulatory measures in recent years, including allowing full foreign ownership in most sectors and implementing a new bankruptcy law. The measures improved transparency, dispute resolution and legal certainty for investors.

Saudi Arabia has also expanded support for small and medium-sized enterprises through Monshaat, the SME Bank and Saudi Venture Capital Company.

The number of SMEs exceeded 1.7 million by the end of 2025, employing around 8.88 million people and contributing 22.9 percent to GDP. More than 474,000 businesses are owned by young Saudis, according to the report.

Growth outlook

The International Monetary Fund projects Saudi growth of 3.1 percent this year and 4.5 percent in 2027. The World Bank forecasts growth of 4.3 percent in 2026 and 4.4 percent next year.

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) expects growth of 4 percent this year and 3.6 percent in 2027. For its part, Saudi Arabia’s Finance Ministry forecasts growth of 4.6 percent in 2026 and 3.7 percent next year.



Oil Gains, Stocks Slip on Uncertain Mideast Peace Prospects

A fuel storage facility at Russia's main oil export hub in the Black Sea port of Novorossiysk (Reuters)
A fuel storage facility at Russia's main oil export hub in the Black Sea port of Novorossiysk (Reuters)
TT

Oil Gains, Stocks Slip on Uncertain Mideast Peace Prospects

A fuel storage facility at Russia's main oil export hub in the Black Sea port of Novorossiysk (Reuters)
A fuel storage facility at Russia's main oil export hub in the Black Sea port of Novorossiysk (Reuters)

Oil prices jumped while stock markets mostly retreated and the dollar firmed Thursday as hopes of a Middle East peace accord faded on conflicting headlines on the state of talks.

US President Donald Trump has described the latest discussions as being on the "borderline" between a deal and renewed strikes.

Pakistan's army chief was due in Iran on Thursday, Iranian media reported, with Islamabad mediating as Tehran examines a new US proposal to end the war, AFP reported.

"Markets pulled back across Europe as the waiting game to end the Iran war rumbled on," said Dan Coatsworth, head of markets at AJ Bell.

Wall Street's main indices also dipped at the open.

There were earlier big gains for technology stocks in Asia after chip giant Nvidia posted record quarterly revenue of $81.6 billion, blowing past analyst forecasts on the voracious demand for artificial intelligence hardware.

Sentiment was also boosted by Elon Musk's filing for a public sale of SpaceX shares, which could be the largest initial public offering in history as the rocket and satellite company seeks to raise up to $75 billion.

"This could be a blockbuster summer for IPOs with OpenAI also expected to list in the coming weeks," said Kathleen Brooks, research director at XTB.

"How the market absorbs these new listings will be crucial for the future of the AI trade, as both companies are at the heart of the AI revolution," she said.

South Korea's benchmark Kospi index surged 8.4 percent, helped by Samsung Electronics shares after unions paused a 18-day strike.

Japan's Nikkei index ended with a gain of 3.1 percent.

But despite the group's profit growth, Nvidia shares failed to get a boost as they have in previous quarters, gaining 0.2 percent after trading got underway in New York.

With tech shares, whose staggering rises helped drive markets to record highs in recent months, now considered by many investors to be overvalued, investment analyst Bret Kenwell at eToro said there were worries that a pullback was in store.

"While geopolitical risks could still flare up, the more pressing issue appears to be macro-related," he said, pointing to the recent rise in sovereign bond yields and the prospect of central banks raising interest rates.

The yields demanded by investors to lend to governments by buying their bonds have peaked in recent days, indicating weakening confidence in their economies and inflation fears.

After tech gains in Asia, attention turned to US-Iran war developments and the potential fallout for economies on the continent, sending European stocks lower.

The EU warned Thursday that eurozone growth would be less than expected this year and inflation significantly higher than forecast, as the Mideast war and subsequent energy shock take their toll.

It came as a key survey revealed that business activity in the eurozone contracted further in May, weighed down by weak demand caused by a conflict.

British private-sector activity also unexpectedly contracted this month, marking the first decline in output in over a year, S&P Global added.

"The UK economy is facing a perfect storm, as rising political uncertainty adds to the growing impact from the war in the Middle East," said Chris Williamson, chief business economist at S&P Global Market Intelligence.

In other corporate news, French video game giant Ubisoft saw its shares plunge around 11 percent after it reported disappointing annual results and forecast further pain in the coming year.

The "Assassin's Creed" and "Rayman" developer had warned in January of the likely impact, with seven games cancelled and six delayed.


flynas Says Direct Flights Between Riyadh, Milan Start Thursday

The Saudi capital, Riyadh (SPA)
The Saudi capital, Riyadh (SPA)
TT

flynas Says Direct Flights Between Riyadh, Milan Start Thursday

The Saudi capital, Riyadh (SPA)
The Saudi capital, Riyadh (SPA)

flynas has announced the launch of direct flights connecting Riyadh with Milan, SPA reported.

Starting Thursday, the airline will operate three weekly direct flights between King Khalid International Airport and Milan Malpensa Airport.


SpaceX Reveals Plans for What Could be Biggest-ever Initial Public Offering

FILE PHOTO: Elon Musk walks to attend the trial in his lawsuit over OpenAI for-profit conversion at a federal courthouse, in Oakland, California, US, April 29, 2026. REUTERS/Manuel Orbegozo/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Elon Musk walks to attend the trial in his lawsuit over OpenAI for-profit conversion at a federal courthouse, in Oakland, California, US, April 29, 2026. REUTERS/Manuel Orbegozo/File Photo
TT

SpaceX Reveals Plans for What Could be Biggest-ever Initial Public Offering

FILE PHOTO: Elon Musk walks to attend the trial in his lawsuit over OpenAI for-profit conversion at a federal courthouse, in Oakland, California, US, April 29, 2026. REUTERS/Manuel Orbegozo/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Elon Musk walks to attend the trial in his lawsuit over OpenAI for-profit conversion at a federal courthouse, in Oakland, California, US, April 29, 2026. REUTERS/Manuel Orbegozo/File Photo

Elon Musk announced plans Wednesday for one of the biggest stock sales ever by taking public a space company that is currently losing billions of dollars a year.

A filing shows that his SpaceX lost $2.6 billion from operations last year on $18.7 billion in revenue, and the losses kept piling up at the start of this year, too.

The prospectus did not put a dollar figure on the amount Musk hopes to raise, but various reports have put it at $75 billion or so.

SpaceX, formally known as Space Exploration Technologies Corp., has said the money will help finance projects to put people on the moon and Mars in its quest to make humans an intergalactic species as they face existential threats that could wipe out civilization.

“We do not want humans to have the same fate as dinosaurs,” the filing states.

The prospectus reads in part like a Hollywood fantasy version of the future, detailing in one section how part of Musk’s compensation will be granted only if he maintains “a permanent human colony on Mars with at least one million inhabitants.”

Short of that, the stock sale alone could make Musk, a major owner who founded SpaceX in 2002, the world’s first trillionaire. Forbes currently puts his net worth at $839 billion.

In addition to making reusable rockets to hurl astronauts into orbit, SpaceX has other businesses, some successful, some struggling — and with plenty of questions marks.

The document shows that Starlink, the world’s largest satellite communications company, is a big source of cash for the company, generating $4.4 billion in operating income last year. The business uses 10,000 satellites in low orbit to provide internet service to 10 million people in 150 countries and territories.

Among the struggling businesses are two Musk units that were recently acquired by SpaceX — his social media platform X, formerly Twitter, and his artificial intelligence business, xAI.

Those purchases were blasted by some SpaceX investors as bailouts because they are big money losers.

The prospectus said its AI business lost $6.4 billion in operations last year.

The original SpaceX business, making rockets and staging launches, has been helped by massive government contracts, which raises questions that could come back to haunt the company. Given Musk’s close relation to the Trump administration, government ethics lawyers and watchdogs have asked if he has gotten special treatment to win taxpayer money and whether that good luck will run out once President Donald Trump is out office.

SpaceX has won contracts worth $6 billion from NASA and the Defense Department and other government agencies in the past five years, according to USAspending.gov. The company noted in its filing that a fifth of its revenue last year was from the federal government, The Associated Press reported.

Musk was the biggest donor to Trump’s presidential campaign and is still a big backer despite their sometimes rocky relationship after his stewardship of the government cost-cutting effort called DOGE early last year.

Like many corporate CEOs, Musk’s compensation will go far beyond his annual salary, which was $54,080 in 2025 and has remained unchanged since 2019, according to the filing.

The prospectus says stock grants for him would be sliced into 15 nearly equal amounts — 67 million shares each — and would vest only as the company achieves preset market cap goals. In addition to the Martian colony, SpaceX’s stock market value would have to reach $7.5 trillion for him to receive the full award.

He would get even more stock awards if SpaceX manages to get giant data centers the size of football fields in space.

The document shows Musk will be able to exert big control over the business.

It says he and certain other shareholders will receive shares in a special class of stock that gives them 10 votes for each share they hold. Those shareholders will be able, among other things, to elect a majority of the company’s board of directors.

“This will limit or preclude your ability to influence corporate matters and the election of our directors,” SpaceX said in a warning to prospective investors.

SpaceX will be able to pitch the offering to investors — in what’s known in Wall Street parlance as a “road show” — 15 days after making its prospectus public. In this case, that works out to June 4.