Russia’s Bolshoi, Performing in China, Vows to Return to the West 

People pose for pictures in front of the National Center for the Performing Arts, before a performance by Russia's Bolshoi Ballet company in Beijing, China, July 25, 2023. (Reuters)
People pose for pictures in front of the National Center for the Performing Arts, before a performance by Russia's Bolshoi Ballet company in Beijing, China, July 25, 2023. (Reuters)
TT

Russia’s Bolshoi, Performing in China, Vows to Return to the West 

People pose for pictures in front of the National Center for the Performing Arts, before a performance by Russia's Bolshoi Ballet company in Beijing, China, July 25, 2023. (Reuters)
People pose for pictures in front of the National Center for the Performing Arts, before a performance by Russia's Bolshoi Ballet company in Beijing, China, July 25, 2023. (Reuters)

The artistic director of Moscow's state-owned Bolshoi Ballet has vowed that his company will eventually perform in the West again, having been subject to a cultural boycott since Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

The storied ballet company performed at Beijing's National Center for the Performing Arts on Tuesday in its first international tour since the pandemic.

Speaking in Beijing on the eve of the performance, artistic director Makhar Vaziev insisted the troupe was "not suffering" from being unable to perform in the West.

"I have no doubt that one day everything will go back to how it should be because culture is a wave that is very hard to suppress," Vaziev, 62, said in an interview.

"Many governments have banned cultural figures from Russia... but we are still talking to the same people we talked to in the past."

The Bolshoi's dancers hope their performances will herald a return to the global stage for the crown jewel of Russian culture, which toured the world even in the most tense days of the Cold War.

But the company only has two further confirmed international stops so far: the Belarusian capital Minsk in November, and Oman in January 2024.

The theater, founded in 1776 by Empress Catherine the Great, will showcase excerpts of some of its best-known ballet works in two gala performances in Beijing, followed by a three-day staging of the 19th century ballet "Don Quixote".

It still receives around 70 percent of its funding from the Russian government, according to the company's PR representative. No performers have so far publicly condemned President Vladimir Putin's war, which has caused an estimated 8,500 civilian casualties according to the UN.

Reuters was asked to avoid political questions during interviews with members of the troupe.

In February 2022, the day after Moscow sent thousands of troops into Ukraine, London's Royal Opera House called off the Bolshoi's planned post-pandemic return for a residency scheduled for that summer.

Cancellations in other Western cities soon followed, and creative collaboration with Western venues and choreographers evaporated.

Several Russian and foreign leading dancers also quit the company in opposition to the Ukraine war, including former principal ballerina Olga Smirnova.

"I would really like to visit other countries, see the world, and get to know different venues, theaters, teachers and choreographers," said principal dancer Elizaveta Kokoreva, who joined the company at the beginning of the pandemic.

"But it is what it is right now."



Prince Mohammed bin Salman Project Renovates Historic Al-Qibli Mosque in Riyadh

Al-Qibli Mosque is named for its location west of Manfuha and near the Principality Palace - SPA
Al-Qibli Mosque is named for its location west of Manfuha and near the Principality Palace - SPA
TT

Prince Mohammed bin Salman Project Renovates Historic Al-Qibli Mosque in Riyadh

Al-Qibli Mosque is named for its location west of Manfuha and near the Principality Palace - SPA
Al-Qibli Mosque is named for its location west of Manfuha and near the Principality Palace - SPA

The Prince Mohammed bin Salman Project for the Development of Historical Mosques continues efforts to preserve the Kingdom’s authentic architectural identity.

One of its recent projects is the comprehensive renovation of Al-Qibli Mosque in the old neighborhood of Manfuha in Riyadh. The restoration reflects traditional Najdi architecture and highlights the mosque’s connection to the town’s administrative and social history, SPA reported.

Al-Qibli Mosque is named for its location west of Manfuha and near the Principality Palace. It was historically the closest mosque to the town’s seat of government and was frequented by princes and prominent figures. The mosque spans approximately 500 square meters. It includes an outer courtyard, an inner prayer hall, and a lower prayer room of equal size that dates back to the original construction. Square, plaster-lined windows on the north and south sides provide natural ventilation.

These were added during the mosque’s second reconstruction around 1364 AH (1945 AD).

The covered inner prayer hall measures 15 by 8 meters and rests on 33 columns arranged in three rows. It was built by architect Abdullah bin Masoud upon the order of King Abdulaziz bin Abdulrahman. The roof is constructed using tamarisk and palm trunks, and a minaret stands at the center of the northern façade. Following earlier renovations in 1414 AH (1993 AD), the mosque remains the last mud-brick mosque in old Manfuha.

According to SPA, its design creates a visual connection between the courtyard and the inner hall, alongside a secluded lower prayer room. The site also includes the historic water fountain of Faris bin Abdullah bin Shaalan, who died in 1175 AH (1762 AD), and an old ablution area.

The current renovation uses the same local materials as the original construction, including mud, plaster, tamarisk wood, and palm fronds. Specialized Saudi heritage companies and engineers are overseeing the work to ensure preservation of historical authenticity while meeting modern sustainability standards.

The restoration aligns with the project’s four objectives: preparing historical mosques for worship, restoring architectural authenticity, highlighting the Kingdom’s cultural dimension, and enhancing religious significance. The project supports the cultural and civilizational goals of Saudi Vision 2030 and contributes to preserving the Kingdom’s architectural heritage for future generations.


Qassim Region Principality Illuminated in Green in Celebration of Founding Day

The Qassim Region Principality illuminated in green marking Founding Day - SPA
The Qassim Region Principality illuminated in green marking Founding Day - SPA
TT

Qassim Region Principality Illuminated in Green in Celebration of Founding Day

The Qassim Region Principality illuminated in green marking Founding Day - SPA
The Qassim Region Principality illuminated in green marking Founding Day - SPA

The Qassim Region Principality building was illuminated in green in celebration of Founding Day.

The scene reflected pride in the historical roots of the Saudi state and embodied feelings of belonging on this cherished national occasion, SPA reported.

The illumination affirms the deep historical significance of Founding Day, marking 299 years since the establishment of the First Saudi State by Imam Mohammed bin Saud.

It also reflects the enduring principles upon which it was founded, including unity, stability, and state-building. These foundations culminate in the security, stability, and prosperity that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia enjoys today under its wise leadership.


Prince Mohammed bin Salman Project Restores Century-Old Uqlat Al-Suqur Mosque in Qassim

The renovation utilized traditional mud, stone, and wood to preserve the mosque's authentic Najdi architectural style. (SPA)
The renovation utilized traditional mud, stone, and wood to preserve the mosque's authentic Najdi architectural style. (SPA)
TT

Prince Mohammed bin Salman Project Restores Century-Old Uqlat Al-Suqur Mosque in Qassim

The renovation utilized traditional mud, stone, and wood to preserve the mosque's authentic Najdi architectural style. (SPA)
The renovation utilized traditional mud, stone, and wood to preserve the mosque's authentic Najdi architectural style. (SPA)

The Prince Mohammed bin Salman Project for the Development of Historical Mosques has completed the restoration of the Uqlat Al-Suqur Mosque in Qassim Region, revitalizing a heritage landmark dating back to 1922, reported the Saudi Press Agency on Saturday.

Originally the only mosque in the area, it served as a vital religious and social hub for education and community governance.

The renovation, executed by specialized Saudi firms, utilized traditional mud, stone, and wood to preserve its authentic Najdi architectural style.

The project increased the mosque's area to 544 square meters, expanding its capacity to 250 worshippers while maintaining its historical identity.

The initiative aligns with Vision 2030 to preserve the Kingdom's urban heritage and boost the cultural and religious significance of its historical mosques for future generations.