Actor Hugh Grant Can Pursue Part of Lawsuit against Murdoch Paper

FILE - In this Sunday, Jan. 29, 2017 file photo, Hugh Grant arrives at the 23rd annual Screen Actors Guild Awards at the Shrine Auditorium & Expo Hall in Los Angeles. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP, file)
FILE - In this Sunday, Jan. 29, 2017 file photo, Hugh Grant arrives at the 23rd annual Screen Actors Guild Awards at the Shrine Auditorium & Expo Hall in Los Angeles. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP, file)
TT
20

Actor Hugh Grant Can Pursue Part of Lawsuit against Murdoch Paper

FILE - In this Sunday, Jan. 29, 2017 file photo, Hugh Grant arrives at the 23rd annual Screen Actors Guild Awards at the Shrine Auditorium & Expo Hall in Los Angeles. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP, file)
FILE - In this Sunday, Jan. 29, 2017 file photo, Hugh Grant arrives at the 23rd annual Screen Actors Guild Awards at the Shrine Auditorium & Expo Hall in Los Angeles. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP, file)

British actor Hugh Grant, who is suing Rupert Murdoch's UK newspaper arm with Prince Harry over phone-hacking and other allegations, can proceed with some of his claims but others are too late, London’s High Court ruled on Friday.

Grant, famous for film comedies such as "Notting Hill", is suing Murdoch's News Group Newspapers (NGN) for alleged unlawful information gathering he said were committed on behalf of its tabloid, the Sun.

Judge Timothy Fancourt said in a written ruling on Friday that some allegations in Grant’s lawsuit had been submitted too late but others could continue to trial, Reuters said.

NGN had also asked the judge to throw out Harry's lawsuit at a hearing in April but a ruling in his case is not expected until after further discussions in July at which Harry will ask for permission to rely on an alleged "secret agreement" between Buckingham Palace and senior figures at NGN.

Grant – who previously brought a lawsuit against NGN in relation to the now-defunct News of the World tabloid, which was settled in 2012 – has become a prominent campaigner on press reform since the phone-hacking scandal emerged.

His latest lawsuit alleged Sun reporters used private investigators to tap his landline phone, place listening and tracking devices on his house and car, burgle his property and obtain his private information by deception.

NGN denies the allegations and its lawyers argued at April’s hearing that it was "unreal" for Grant to have not known enough to bring a lawsuit in relation to the Sun earlier than he did.

In his ruling, Fancourt said Grant had brought his claim in relation to voicemail interception – widely known as "phone-hacking" – too late.

But the judge said the question of whether Grant's allegations of "landline tapping, bugging, blagging, burglary and instructions to private investigators to do any of those things" were brought too late must be determined at trial.



South Korean Actor Kim Soo-Hyun Denies Underage Dating Accusation

South Korean actor Kim Soo-hyun sheds tears during a press conference at a hotel in Seoul, South Korea, 31 March 2025, to deny underage dating allegations involving late actress Kim Sae-ron and offer an apology for causing controversy. (EPA/Yonhap)
South Korean actor Kim Soo-hyun sheds tears during a press conference at a hotel in Seoul, South Korea, 31 March 2025, to deny underage dating allegations involving late actress Kim Sae-ron and offer an apology for causing controversy. (EPA/Yonhap)
TT
20

South Korean Actor Kim Soo-Hyun Denies Underage Dating Accusation

South Korean actor Kim Soo-hyun sheds tears during a press conference at a hotel in Seoul, South Korea, 31 March 2025, to deny underage dating allegations involving late actress Kim Sae-ron and offer an apology for causing controversy. (EPA/Yonhap)
South Korean actor Kim Soo-hyun sheds tears during a press conference at a hotel in Seoul, South Korea, 31 March 2025, to deny underage dating allegations involving late actress Kim Sae-ron and offer an apology for causing controversy. (EPA/Yonhap)

South Korean actor Kim Soo-hyun on Monday denied allegations that he dated the actress Kim Sae-ron when she was underage, breaking down in tears as he said he could not "admit what is not true."

Brands including Prada have cut ties with the actor amid the controversy over his relationship with Kim Sae-ron, who was found dead in February in a suspected suicide. She was 24.

The 37-year-old Kim said he dated Kim Sae-ron five years ago for about a year, but not when she was underage. He said a YouTube expose released earlier this month cited testimonies and evidence that were false, including screenshots of messages that could not be from the actress.

Kim Sae-ron was born in July 2000. The age of consent in South Korea is 16.

"I did not date the deceased when she was a minor. And it is also not true that the deceased made a tragic choice because of me turning a blind eye," Kim told a press conference on Monday, alluding to claims that their relationship led to her suicide.

Lawyers representing Kim Soo-hyun and his agency said on Monday they had sued people involved in the YouTube expose for a total of 12 billion won ($8.15 million) in damages, and reported them to the authorities for defamation and violation of the information protection act.

A lawyer representing the relatives of Kim Sae-ron could not immediately be reached for comment.

Kim Sae-ron was one of South Korea's most promising actresses until her career took a hit after a drunk driving incident in 2022.

Kim Soo-hyun rose to fame in South Korea and China over his role in hit South Korean drama series "My Love from the Star" and "Queen of Tears".