'Baby Shark' Boy Returns to Stage as K-pop Singer

Fans arrive to attend a concert by K-pop boy band Stray Kids, which kicked off the band’s “Run It” world tour, in Seoul on July 25, 2026. (Photo by GREG BAKER / AFP)
Fans arrive to attend a concert by K-pop boy band Stray Kids, which kicked off the band’s “Run It” world tour, in Seoul on July 25, 2026. (Photo by GREG BAKER / AFP)
TT

'Baby Shark' Boy Returns to Stage as K-pop Singer

Fans arrive to attend a concert by K-pop boy band Stray Kids, which kicked off the band’s “Run It” world tour, in Seoul on July 25, 2026. (Photo by GREG BAKER / AFP)
Fans arrive to attend a concert by K-pop boy band Stray Kids, which kicked off the band’s “Run It” world tour, in Seoul on July 25, 2026. (Photo by GREG BAKER / AFP)

The child star of the "Baby Shark Dance" video, the most-watched video in YouTube history, released his first K-pop digital single on Thursday, a decade after he first found fame.

Park Geonroung, who starred in the video when he was 7 years old, will make his solo K-pop debut under the name "Baby Shark Boy" and is backed by Pinkfong Company which owns the copyright for Baby Shark.

"Baby Shark Dance brought ⁠joy to people ⁠around the world, and I’m very grateful that so many people still remember me from 10 years ago. That made me want to come back and connect with people through music again," Reuters quoted him as saying.

The catchy song, ⁠which is about a family of sharks, was released in 2016 and the video has since surpassed 17.2 billion views. It has been played at the White House and praised by US President Donald Trump, Tesla CEO Elon Musk and celebrities, while prompting parodies and a dance craze.

In the years since the video, Park has starred in Pinkfong's other shows. He ⁠said ⁠his new digital single, titled "WAVE,” opens with the familiar Baby Shark melody before shifting into an electropop sound, to which he contributed lyrics.

Park added that he views the single as the start of a longer musical journey. "WAVE feels more like a new beginning than a one-off project. I hope to keep showing different sides of myself through music as well as other kinds of content,” he said.



Jurors Hear ‘Keffe D’ Say His Nephew Fired Fatal Shots at Tupac Shakur in 1996 Drive-by Shooting

 Duane Davis appears in court for his murder trial, related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, in Clark County District Court at the Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026. (Steve Marcus/Las Vegas Sun/Pool)
Duane Davis appears in court for his murder trial, related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, in Clark County District Court at the Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026. (Steve Marcus/Las Vegas Sun/Pool)
TT

Jurors Hear ‘Keffe D’ Say His Nephew Fired Fatal Shots at Tupac Shakur in 1996 Drive-by Shooting

 Duane Davis appears in court for his murder trial, related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, in Clark County District Court at the Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026. (Steve Marcus/Las Vegas Sun/Pool)
Duane Davis appears in court for his murder trial, related to the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur, in Clark County District Court at the Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026. (Steve Marcus/Las Vegas Sun/Pool)

Jurors on Thursday heard Duane “Keffe D” Davis tell detectives in 2008 that his nephew Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson fired the shots that killed Tupac Shakur.

Davis, who said in the interview that he was also in the car with Anderson, is accused of orchestrating the 1996 killing of the 25-year-old hip-hop superstar in Las Vegas. At the time of the interview, his nephew had been dead for a decade.

Davis said the white Cadillac he and Anderson were riding in with two other men pulled up alongside a car with Shakur inside, along with hip-hop mogul and Death Row Records head Marion “Suge” Knight.

“If we would have been on my side, I would have blasted,” Davis said. Instead, Knight’s car was on the other side, so Davis passed his gun back to Deandre “Big Dre” Smith. But Smith didn’t want it, Davis said.

Anderson, who was also in the back seat, took the weapon and started firing, Davis said.

Jurors watched the screen as the transcript of the audio recording rolled. Some occasionally took notes. At the beginning of the audio interview, Davis and his attorney whispered to each other. Shakur’s family sat still, occasionally looking at the screen or looking down to the floor. The room was quiet as Davis described the shooting.

It was the first time Davis directly discussed his involvement in the killing with authorities. The interview is essential evidence in the state's case against the 63-year-old Davis. Prosecutors told jurors in opening statements that they would lean heavily on Davis' own admissions in interviews with police and on podcasts, as well as the 2019 memoir he co-authored, “Compton Street Legend.”

He also previously told the FBI that his nephew was not involved in the 1996 shooting of Shakur, and speculated that Knight or Sean “Diddy” Combs were involved.

Davis has pleaded not guilty. His lawyer has called the prosecution’s narrative “fiction” and said Davis was “full of crap” when he told stories of his involvement, and that authorities knew it. He argued investigators failed to back up the statements his client made with evidence.

The Los Angeles police detectives had actually brought Davis in to talk about the 1997 shooting death of Shakur's archrival, the Notorious B.I.G.

Davis had briefly been one of the suspects in that still unsolved killing, but he was later discounted.

“Everybody was a suspect at that time,” Daryn Dupree, one of the detectives in the interview, said in court testimony Thursday.

The detectives tell Davis that their discussion is confidential.

“Nothing you say today can be used against you,” said Greg Kading, the other detective conducting the interview who described it in a book a few years later.

Some in the audience shook their heads when someone in the audio tells Davis that “nothing leaves this room.”

Dupree adds, “If you don’t say nothing, it’s cool, but if you go out there and start talking ...”

Prosecutors say Davis did in fact “go out there and start talking” a decade later when he told stories about the shooting in interviews and the memoir. They said that nullifies any agreement he had with law enforcement over this and other recorded conversations.

Prosecutors allege Shakur was killed to avenge Shakur’s entourage attacking Davis’ nephew Anderson a few hours earlier at the MGM Grand after a Mike Tyson fight. Davis was at the fight but not the brawl.

Later in the evening, they were in the Cadillac and saw Shakur hanging out of a black BMW with people calling out “Tupac!”

Davis said that after Lane fired the shots, he thought Knight was dead.

Decades after his death, Shakur remains a cultural icon, and one of the most influential and versatile rappers of all time. He died as his popularity was peaking and his film career as an actor was taking off. His legend has only grown in the years since.


‘Tinker Tailor’ Filmmaker John Irvin Dies at 86

British filmmaker John Irvin. (AFP)
British filmmaker John Irvin. (AFP)
TT

‘Tinker Tailor’ Filmmaker John Irvin Dies at 86

British filmmaker John Irvin. (AFP)
British filmmaker John Irvin. (AFP)

British filmmaker John Irvin, best known for adapting John Le Carre's espionage classic "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" for television, has died aged 86, his producer Claire Evans told UK media Wednesday.

Irvin, who also directed a string of 1980s action movies including "The Dogs of War", "Raw Deal" and "Hamburger Hill", enjoyed a five-decade career that spanned TV, documentaries and cinema.

He died "peacefully at home" on August 11, surrounded by his family, Evans confirmed to The Guardian.

The pair worked together on the 2016 film "Mandela's Gun", which explored the South African ex-president's experience as a guerrilla fighter for the African National Congress.

Irvin, born in northern England in 1940, won two BAFTAs and an Emmy nomination for his 1979 BBC adaptation of Le Carre's spy novel, which cast Alec Guinness as the shy, monkish hero George Smiley.

Its success opened the doors to Hollywood, with Irvin making a number of action-packed movies and other films featuring a host of star names in the decade that followed.

They included Christopher Walken and Tom Berenger in "The Dogs of War", Fred Astaire in horror film "Ghost Story", Arnold Schwarzenegger in "Raw Deal" and Patrick Swayze and Liam Neeson in crime thriller "Next of Kin".

He is survived by three children and two grandchildren, according to reports.


A Viking Longship in ‘The Odyssey’? It’s a Case of History Meets Hollywood

The Draken Harald Harfagre, the ship used in the movie "The Odyssey", is docked outside Oslo Opera in the Norwegian capital on August 14, 2026. (AFP)
The Draken Harald Harfagre, the ship used in the movie "The Odyssey", is docked outside Oslo Opera in the Norwegian capital on August 14, 2026. (AFP)
TT

A Viking Longship in ‘The Odyssey’? It’s a Case of History Meets Hollywood

The Draken Harald Harfagre, the ship used in the movie "The Odyssey", is docked outside Oslo Opera in the Norwegian capital on August 14, 2026. (AFP)
The Draken Harald Harfagre, the ship used in the movie "The Odyssey", is docked outside Oslo Opera in the Norwegian capital on August 14, 2026. (AFP)

The eras of "The Odyssey" and the Vikings happened about 2,000 years apart -- so how did a Viking longship end up with a starring role in this year's blockbuster movie?

Look to director Christopher Nolan, and his obsession with bringing spectacle to life with real props, real scenes.

But also credit a team of Norwegian shipwrights and sailors who built a vessel that speaks to both history and Hollywood.

With its tar-soaked rigging, creaking oak deck and 50 spruce oars, Draken Harald Harfagre is the largest modern replica of a Viking ship.

It mattered little that it had to drop its Scandinavian roots for Greek mythology -- the anachronism blended into the service of Nolan's brand of realism.

For the film, though, Draken had to be stripped of the dragon figurehead at its bow -- typical of the Viking era, from the 8th to 11th centuries -- as it sailed for the cameras in Greek, Italian and Scottish waters.

"We found a Viking ship that had been built exactly according to those ancient specifications. And it was very much the whole shape and the rig that we needed to do a Bronze Age ship," Nolan told US television last month.

"We took the crew, and we put their crew all in our costumes. They became part of the movie crew, as it were. And Odysseus' guys, the actors, joined in with them, and they figured out how to raise the sail, how to rig it, how to row, all of this stuff."

For months, the longship's crew of seasoned sailors rubbed shoulders with Hollywood star Matt Damon, who plays Odysseus on-screen, and a host of professional actors.

- 'Doing the real thing' -

"There was one day where one of the actors who was sitting in front of me got seasick and threw up over the rail. It blew back on me," recalled sailor Trammell Hudson.

"I thought that would be my big scene, because the IMAX camera was very focused on him and me in the background dodging the debris. But I didn't see that particular scene in the film," he told AFP when the Draken and its crew made a recent visit to Oslo.

Based on Homer's epic, Nolan's film retraces the hero Odysseus in a perilous journey to his home on the island of Ithaca after the Trojan War in the 12th century BCE.

Rather than recreating a ship with computer-generated images, Nolan wanted a real one, capable of sailing on the open sea with flesh-and-blood men aboard.

"Most of the scenes would be completely different if it wasn't for us being there, doing the real thing with the real ship and the real crew in the real ocean and real weather," said Emanuel Persson, expedition director for Draken.

"I think the viewers can actually feel the genuine materials. I don't know if you can really smell the tar, but you can tell it's really genuine handicraft instead of being a digital creation," he said.

- All hands on deck -

On board, everyone played their part.

"Matt Damon was very nice and very good. Never complained. Every one of the actors was out for a long time and it was very cold and sometimes rough," recalled the longship captain, Bjorn Ahlander.

"No complaints, nothing, never. So that was fantastic to see."

With such a mixed crew on board, it wasn't always easy to row in perfect sync.

"It's very important that the hundred rowers coordinate because the oars are quite long and they will tangle with each other," Trammell Hudson stressed.

He recalled being thrown "a meter-and-a-half into the air", along with his rowing partner, when the blade of their oar hit a wave head-on.

The sweet memories from the shoot are in sharp contrast to those from neighboring Sweden.

Like Penelope waiting for Odysseus, the owners of another Viking ship used in the film had their patience tested: after the ship incurred damage during a shoot, they had to wait a year for compensation.