Jeddah Summit: Collective Confrontation of Future Challenges

Arab foreign ministers meet in Jeddah on Wednesday. (SPA)
Arab foreign ministers meet in Jeddah on Wednesday. (SPA)
TT

Jeddah Summit: Collective Confrontation of Future Challenges

Arab foreign ministers meet in Jeddah on Wednesday. (SPA)
Arab foreign ministers meet in Jeddah on Wednesday. (SPA)

The Saudi coastal city of Jeddah will host on Friday the 32nd regular Arab League summit amid high hopes that its outcomes will reflect positively on several pending issues.

The agenda will focus on the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, the crisis in Sudan, Syria’s return to the Arab League and Arab relations with neighboring countries.

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz will address the gatherers in his opening remarks. Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Crown Prince and Prime Minister, will be at the opening. Saudi Arabia had assumed the presidency of the summit from Algeria.

Officials and experts described as “historic” the Jeddah summit, saying it boasts all factors for its success even before it has been held. They cited Saudi Arabia’s efforts to ensure that it will be successful, noting the reinstatement of Syria’s membership in the League, the intra-Sudanese talks in Jeddah and historic reconciliations that have been achieved with neighboring regional countries, specifically Türkiye and Iran.

Lebanon’s Ambassador to Saudi Arabia Fawzi Kabbara said the Jeddah summit is a “beacon of hope for the Arabs, and Lebanon in specific.”

In remarks to Asharq Al-Awsat, he added: “We have high hopes from the summit and from the reconciliations that have been achieved, significantly with Syria’s return.”

“We hope this will reflect positively on Lebanon,” he went on to say.

“Saudi Arabia has always taken the initiative. We commend the excellent organization of the summit and thank the Saudi leadership for bringing together all Arab leaders,” he stressed.

President Bashar al-Assad is heading Syria’s delegation at the summit after a 12-year absence when Damascus was suspended in wake of the conflict in the country.

Earlier this week, Syria’s Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates Ayman Sousan told Asharq Al-Awsat that “everyone is hoping that the Jeddah summit will pave the way for a new phase” in the Arab world.

Founder and Chairman of the Jeddah-based Gulf Research Center Dr. Abdulaziz Sager said the summit was “historic in every meaning of the word.”

He told Asharq Al-Awsat: “All elements for its success are available given Saudi Arabia’s efforts to that end.”

“King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed have set the foundations that will ensure the success of the summit,” he added.

He credited the Kingdom’s efforts for reinstating Syria’s membership, holding the Sudanese talks in Jeddah aimed at delivering aid to the people, and holding historic reconciliations with Türkiye and Iran.

Saudi political analyst Dr. Khaled Batarfi stressed that good planning was the secret behind Arab consensus on the majority of files that will be discussed at the summit.

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that “excellent preparation has become a hallmark of Saudi policy. This was witnessed during its presidency of the G20 and now observed with Syria’s return to the Arab League and in all files that are being overseen by the Kingdom, such as Yemen, Sudan and the Saudi-Iranian agreement to reestablish diplomatic ties.”

Batarfi said Syria’s return to the Arab fold has given hope that the Jeddah summit will be an unprecedented success. Moreover, he added that all thorny files have been addressed on the bilateral level or through group meetings.

He noted the Arab drive to resolve intra-Arab disputes, citing efforts to form a united front that rejects foreign meddling in Arab internal affairs.

“If we achieve this, then we would have arrived at a solution to one of the greatest hurdles impeding collective Arab work,” he remarked.

“Syria’s return, which was arranged by Saudi Arabia, is a rectification of a situation where Syria was left vulnerable to several forms of foreign meddling, from the region and abroad. Now is the time to correct the situation and Syria has returned to the Arab fold,” he stressed.



Saudi Arabia, Arab and Islamic Countries Condemn Israel’s 'State Land' Decision in West Bank 

The West Bank village of al-Ram is pictured behind Israel's controversial separation barrier from the outskirts of Jerusalem on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
The West Bank village of al-Ram is pictured behind Israel's controversial separation barrier from the outskirts of Jerusalem on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Saudi Arabia, Arab and Islamic Countries Condemn Israel’s 'State Land' Decision in West Bank 

The West Bank village of al-Ram is pictured behind Israel's controversial separation barrier from the outskirts of Jerusalem on February 16, 2026. (AFP)
The West Bank village of al-Ram is pictured behind Israel's controversial separation barrier from the outskirts of Jerusalem on February 16, 2026. (AFP)

The foreign ministers of Saudi Arabia, Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Indonesia, Pakistan, Egypt, and Türkiye strongly condemned on Tuesday Israel's decision to designate lands in the occupied West Bank as so-called "state land".

They also slammed it for approving procedures for the registration and settlement of land ownership across extensive areas of the occupied West Bank for the first time since 1967.

They condemned the moves as “a grave escalation aimed at accelerating illegal settlement activity, land confiscation, entrenching Israeli control, and applying unlawful Israeli sovereignty over the Occupied Palestinian Territory and undermining the legitimate rights of the Palestinian people.”

These measures are “a flagrant violation of international law and international humanitarian law, particularly the Fourth Geneva Convention, as well as a violation of relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions, foremost among them Resolution 2334,” the FMs said in a statement.

“The decision also contradicts the advisory opinion issued by the International Court of Justice concerning the legal consequences arising from Israeli policies and practices in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, which underscored the illegality of measures intended to alter the legal, historical, and demographic status of the Occupied Palestinian Territory, the obligation to end the occupation, and the prohibition of the acquisition of territory by force,” they added.

“This step reflects an attempt to impose a new legal and administrative reality designed to consolidate control over the occupied land, thereby undermining the two-state solution, eroding the prospects for the establishment of an independent and viable Palestinian State, and jeopardizing the attainment of a just and comprehensive peace in the region,” they warned.

The foreign ministers reiterated their “categorical rejection of all unilateral measures aimed at altering the legal, demographic, and historical status of the Occupied Palestinian Territory.”

They stressed that such policies are “a dangerous escalation that will further heighten tensions and instability in the Occupied Palestinian Territory and the region as a whole.”

They called on the international community “to assume its responsibilities and take clear and decisive steps to halt these violations, ensure respect for international law, and safeguard the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people, foremost among them their right to self-determination, ending the occupation, and establishing their independent and sovereign State based on 1967 borders with East Jerusalem as its capital.”


Saudi Hajj and Umrah Minister Inspects Ramadan Service Readiness at Two Holy Mosques 

Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah and Board Chairman of the General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques Tawfig Al-Rabiah during the inspection tour on Monday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah and Board Chairman of the General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques Tawfig Al-Rabiah during the inspection tour on Monday. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Hajj and Umrah Minister Inspects Ramadan Service Readiness at Two Holy Mosques 

Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah and Board Chairman of the General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques Tawfig Al-Rabiah during the inspection tour on Monday. (SPA)
Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah and Board Chairman of the General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques Tawfig Al-Rabiah during the inspection tour on Monday. (SPA)

Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah and Board Chairman of the General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques Tawfig Al-Rabiah carried out on Monday a field inspection tour to assess operational and service readiness for the holy fasting month of Ramadan at the Grand Mosque, Prophet’s Mosque, and several other service sites in the holy city of Makkah.

Accompanied by the authority’s CEO Eng. Ghazi Al-Shahrani, the tour included a review of field operations, crowd management plans, and the flow of Umrah performers and worshippers.

It addressed coordination and integration mechanisms among relevant entities, as part of ongoing efforts by the ministry, the authority, and partner organizations serving pilgrims.

Al-Rabiah stressed that these efforts are carried out in line with the directives of the Kingdom's leadership and reflect the country's commitment to caring for the Two Holy Mosques and their visitors.

The level of readiness and the services provided during Ramadan are part of ongoing development efforts and they support the objectives of the Pilgrim Experience Program, part of Saudi Vision 2030, which aims to boost the quality of services and the overall experience of pilgrims, he added.


SDRPY, EU Sign Strategic Partnership to Improve Living Conditions in Yemen 

Officials are seen at the signing ceremony in Riyadh on Monday. (SPA)
Officials are seen at the signing ceremony in Riyadh on Monday. (SPA)
TT

SDRPY, EU Sign Strategic Partnership to Improve Living Conditions in Yemen 

Officials are seen at the signing ceremony in Riyadh on Monday. (SPA)
Officials are seen at the signing ceremony in Riyadh on Monday. (SPA)

The Saudi Development and Reconstruction Program for Yemen (SDRPY) and European Union announced on Monday the alignment of their efforts to improve livelihoods in Yemen.

These efforts focus on investment in economic recovery programs and reforms, job creation, strengthening state institutions, and boosting community resilience, including in the areas of food security, agriculture, electricity, water, and environmental sanitation.

Their strategic partnership is in line with efforts to strengthen international cooperation to support Yemen.

Supporting improved access to water in the Marib governorate is the first outcome of the strategic partnership.

The two parties signed in Riyadh an agreement with the SILA Foundation to implement a SAR9-million project, “Enhancing Water Security in Marib Governorate,” covering nine areas across the districts of Marib Al-Wadi, Marib City, and Harib. Over 350,000 people will benefit from the project.

The agreement reflects the parties’ commitment to joint action and continuous coordination to improve living conditions for all Yemenis.

The SDRPY and EU agreed to continue coordination and explore additional opportunities for cooperation in the water sector, as well as joint development projects and initiatives in other sectors.