Political Crisis Looms in Kuwait

Men prepare to cast their votes during the parliamentary elections at a polling station, in Kuwait City, Kuwait, 04 April 2024. (EPA)
Men prepare to cast their votes during the parliamentary elections at a polling station, in Kuwait City, Kuwait, 04 April 2024. (EPA)
TT

Political Crisis Looms in Kuwait

Men prepare to cast their votes during the parliamentary elections at a polling station, in Kuwait City, Kuwait, 04 April 2024. (EPA)
Men prepare to cast their votes during the parliamentary elections at a polling station, in Kuwait City, Kuwait, 04 April 2024. (EPA)

A political crisis is looming in Kuwait after a decree was issued on Monday to postpone the first meeting of the newly elected National Assembly amid reports that the caretaker prime minister was unable to form a new government.

PM Sheikh Mohammed Sabah al-Salem Al-Sabah had submitted his resignation to Emir Sheikh Meshal al-Ahmad Al-Sabah on Saturday in wake of parliamentary elections that were held last week.

The Emir had accepted the resignation and called on the National Assembly to convene on April 17.

Reports have said Sheikh Ahmed al-Abdullah Al-Sabah may be tasked with forming a new government.

On Monday, a decree called for delaying the parliamentary session to April 18.

Former National Assembly Speaker Marzouq al-Ghanim and lawmakers warned that the constitution stipulates that the legislature must convene the next day if it does not meet on April 17.

Local media quoted government sources as saying that the session may even be postponed to May 14.



Qatari Prime Minister Arrives in Riyadh

Qatar’s Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani is welcomed upon his arrival in Riyadh. (SPA)
Qatar’s Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani is welcomed upon his arrival in Riyadh. (SPA)
TT

Qatari Prime Minister Arrives in Riyadh

Qatar’s Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani is welcomed upon his arrival in Riyadh. (SPA)
Qatar’s Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani is welcomed upon his arrival in Riyadh. (SPA)

Qatar’s Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al Thani arrived in Riyadh on Wednesday.

He was received by Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Waleed Elkhereiji at King Khalid International Airport.


UAE Halts All Trade, Financial Dealings with Iran after Attack

Tuesday's announcement is the latest measure against Iran by the UAE after it recalled its ambassador early in the conflict. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Tuesday's announcement is the latest measure against Iran by the UAE after it recalled its ambassador early in the conflict. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

UAE Halts All Trade, Financial Dealings with Iran after Attack

Tuesday's announcement is the latest measure against Iran by the UAE after it recalled its ambassador early in the conflict. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Tuesday's announcement is the latest measure against Iran by the UAE after it recalled its ambassador early in the conflict. (Asharq Al-Awsat)

The United Arab Emirates has said it is suspending all trade and financial dealings with Iran after reporting an Iranian missile attack directed at its ships.

The announcement comes after a period of relative calm in the UAE, with no Iranian missiles aimed at the country since May after it bore the brunt of attacks in the early weeks of the Middle East war.

Abu Dhabi has however accused Tehran of repeatedly targeting its tankers at sea in recent weeks.

"In light of regional escalations... all trade, commercial exchanges, and financial transactions with Iran have been halted until further notice," said UAE foreign ministry communications director Afra Al Hameli.

The UAE is home to a sizeable Iranian community and has been a major trading partner for US-sanctioned Iran, at least before the war.

Tuesday's announcement is the latest measure against Iran by the UAE after it recalled its ambassador early in the conflict.

- Navigation -

Abu Dhabi on Tuesday accused Iran of firing two ballistic missiles towards the country, the first such attack since May.

It later said the salvo was directed at shipping, but Tehran denied firing missiles at the UAE.

"UAE air defenses detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran towards the country, with the first falling outside the country's territorial waters, while the second fell within the territorial waters," the UAE ministry said in a statement posted to social media.

A second statement released later said the missiles "were targeting maritime navigation and fell into the sea".

Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei "categorically rejected the United Arab Emirates' claim that Iran had launched a missile towards that country", calling it harmful to regional trust and security efforts.

The first UAE statement came nearly two hours after a phone alert that warned residents of a "potential missile threat".

It was the first such alert since a false alarm in June and an alert in July for an attack that ultimately did not enter UAE territory.

Before that, the last missile warning came in early May.

However, tankers belonging to the UAE's state-owned oil company ADNOC have been repeatedly targeted in the past few weeks.

When the Middle East war began on February 28, the UAE bore the brunt of Iran's attacks, with nearly 3,000 missiles and drones directed at the country -- more than anywhere else in the region.

After a memorandum of understanding between Iran and the United States came into effect in June, which has since collapsed, the UAE reported no attacks, unlike other Gulf states.


MWL, GCC Condemn Israeli Airstrikes on Syria’s Abu al-Duhur Military Airbase

A man rides a motorbike in the town of Abu al-Duhur, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A man rides a motorbike in the town of Abu al-Duhur, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

MWL, GCC Condemn Israeli Airstrikes on Syria’s Abu al-Duhur Military Airbase

A man rides a motorbike in the town of Abu al-Duhur, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A man rides a motorbike in the town of Abu al-Duhur, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The Muslim World League (MWL) strongly condemned on Tuesday the Israeli airstrikes targeting Syria’s Abu al-Duhur Military Airbase, saying they are a violation of all international laws and norms.

In a statement, MWL Secretary-General and Chairman of the Organization of Muslim Scholars Sheikh Dr. Mohammed bin Abdulkarim Al-Issa slammed “the aggression against the sovereignty and resources of Syria”, reiterating the league's “full solidarity” with the country in confronting threats to its security, sovereignty and people.

Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi also strongly condemned the attack.

“The brutal Israeli targeting of Syrian territory is an unacceptable violation of its sovereignty and territorial sanctity, contradicting international rules and norms that prohibit infringing upon state sovereignty,” he said.

Such continued practices raise tension and escalation and undermine regional and international efforts aimed at achieving security and stability in the region, he warned.

Albudaiwi called on the international community to assume its responsibilities, take a firm stance against these violations, and work to halt Israeli attacks on Syrian territory to safeguard its security and stability.

He reiterated the GCC states' solidarity with Syria, and support for its sovereignty and territorial integrity.