BIE Announces Start of Work on 'Riyadh Expo 2030'

The Secretary-General of the Bureau International des Expositions speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat during his visit to Riyadh (Photo Credit: Turki Al-Agili)
The Secretary-General of the Bureau International des Expositions speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat during his visit to Riyadh (Photo Credit: Turki Al-Agili)
TT

BIE Announces Start of Work on 'Riyadh Expo 2030'

The Secretary-General of the Bureau International des Expositions speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat during his visit to Riyadh (Photo Credit: Turki Al-Agili)
The Secretary-General of the Bureau International des Expositions speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat during his visit to Riyadh (Photo Credit: Turki Al-Agili)

Dimitri Kerkentzes, head of the Bureau International des Expositions (BIE), revealed that Riyadh is getting ready to turn its Expo 2030 plans into reality. He expressed hope that the expo would be a key part of Saudi Arabia’s progress.

According to a statement from the BIE on Friday, Kerkentzes visited Riyadh for the first time since it won the bid in November 2023. During his four-day visit, he, along with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, checked out Saudi Arabia’s preparations for hosting the expo.

Kerkentzes also met with top Saudi officials to discuss the expo’s plans.

 

The statement noted that since Riyadh won the bid, preparations have been in full swing. The next step is to start work on the expo's infrastructure. These efforts are part of Riyadh’s push to become one of the world’s top city economies and diversify its income sources.

The BIE announced that Riyadh will present a detailed plan for hosting Expo 2030. This plan covers legislative and financial measures, the main site layout, and legacy projects.

Once approved and registered at the BIE General Assembly, Riyadh Expo 2030 will kickstart Saudi Arabia’s engagement with participating countries and the implementation of the exhibition project.

During his visit to Riyadh, Kerkentzes spoke exclusively to Asharq Al-Awsat, marking his first interview since Riyadh won the bid to host the 2030 edition.

“We're Here to Work Together”

Speaking about his first visit after Riyadh won the bid to host the Riyadh Expo 2030 in November last year, Kerkentzes remarked that it was great to be back in the Kingdom and that it feels like coming home.

“During our initial visit, we came together as one team to kickstart this important project everyone is excited about for 2030,” said Kerkentzes.

“What pleased me most was seeing Saudi teams get back to work in Riyadh within 24 hours of winning the bid. There wasn't much time for celebration; they know there's a lot of work ahead,” he added.

Kerkentzes praised the teams, particularly those at the Riyadh Royal Commission and the Public Investment Fund, for their hard work towards advancing to the next stage of preparation and beginning the implementation of this highly anticipated Expo edition, which was overwhelmingly endorsed by the General Assembly of the BIE as an “exceptional and unprecedented edition.”

 

“What Will Riyadh Be Like in 2030?”

When asked about Riyadh’s future in six years, Kerkentzes said: “Every time I go back to Riyadh, I see changes. There’s always something new happening, showing how much the city and Saudi Arabia are evolving... With the Crown Prince’s vision, I see Riyadh progressing each time I visit, making it a top destination by 2030.”

“Riyadh Expo 2030 will contribute to Saudi Arabia’s transformation,” added the BIE secretary-general.

Big Projects in Riyadh

Riyadh is buzzing with major projects underway, all in sync with the Kingdom’s national transformation plan, Saudi Vision 2030, and Riyadh Expo 2030.

When asked about standout projects, Kerkentzes chuckled and said, “Well, as you’d expect, being from the BIE, Riyadh Expo 2030 tops the list.”

“But let's be realistic. Transforming a city and a nation takes time and careful planning. Saudi Vision 2030, led by the Crown Prince, is laying out a fantastic strategy for this. Riyadh Expo 2030 is a major part of that puzzle,” he added.

 

Breaking Technological Barriers

Kerkentzes believes that the Saudi Crown Prince aims to host “an expo like no other.”

Affirming that the goal is to go beyond what previous exhibition editions have done before, Kerkentzes urged all countries to think seriously about this during the six years of preparation.

“We want to bring the most innovative technologies here, which will be crucial for our future,” he said.

 



Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, received on Tuesday a written message from President of Kazakhstan Kassym-Jomart Tokayev on bilateral relations between their two countries.

The message was received by Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah during a meeting with his Kazakh counterpart Yermek Kosherbayev in Riyadh.


Princes and Officials Take Oath Before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
TT

Princes and Officials Take Oath Before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)

Princes and officials appointed by royal orders to their new positions took the oath of office before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud in Riyadh on Tuesday.

They included Deputy Governor of Al-Baha Region Prince Fahd bin Saad bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz bin Turki; Member of the Shura Council Prince Dr. Saad bin Saud bin Mohammed bin Abdulaziz; Deputy Governor of Madinah Region Prince Saud bin Nahar bin Saud; Deputy Governor of Northern Borders Region Prince Mohammed bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz; and Minister of Investment Fahd Al-Saif.

They swore to be faithful to their religion, then their King and country, not to reveal any of the state’s secrets, to preserve its interests and regulations, and to perform their duties with honesty, trustworthiness, and sincerity.


Saudi Arabia Reiterates Its Categorical Rejection of Israel’s ‘State Land’ Decision in West Bank

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Arabia Reiterates Its Categorical Rejection of Israel’s ‘State Land’ Decision in West Bank

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)

The Saudi government condemned on Tuesday Israel’s decision to West Bank lands as "state lands."

Reiterating its absolute rejection of these illegal measures, the Cabinet warned that they undermine peace efforts and violate the Palestinian people's inherent right to establish an independent, sovereign state within the 1967 borders, with East Jerusalem as its capital.

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chaired the Cabinet session that was held in Riyadh.

The Cabinet congratulated citizens and Muslims on the advent of the holy month of Ramadan, expressing gratitude for the Kingdom's honor in caring for the two holy mosques and their visitors.

The Cabinet highlighted the success of the Hajj and Umrah seasons, noting that the Kingdom welcomed 19.5 million international pilgrims and Umrah performers in 2025, setting new records that reflect rapid progress toward the goals of Vision 2030 and the Pilgrim Experience Program.

The Cabinet described the Kingdom's Founding Day celebration on February 22 as an expression of pride in the Saudi state's nearly three-century history, underscoring the foundations of justice, unity, and development established by leaders and citizens throughout history to ensure the nation remains a global leader in all fields.

The Cabinet was briefed on recent talks between Saudi Arabia and various nations, which focused on strengthening bilateral and multilateral cooperation and boosting coordination to foster regional and international security, stability, and prosperity.

The session further reviewed the Kingdom's economic, cultural, and social activities, stressing the state's commitment to social solidarity and giving. This includes continued support for the sixth National Campaign for Charitable Work, set to begin on Friday.

The Cabinet commended the success of the third World Defense Show held in Riyadh under the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques' patronage, during which strategic partnerships, agreements, and memoranda of understanding were signed to localize military technologies and strengthen local supply chains in alignment with Vision 2030 objectives.