BIE Announces Start of Work on 'Riyadh Expo 2030'

The Secretary-General of the Bureau International des Expositions speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat during his visit to Riyadh (Photo Credit: Turki Al-Agili)
The Secretary-General of the Bureau International des Expositions speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat during his visit to Riyadh (Photo Credit: Turki Al-Agili)
TT

BIE Announces Start of Work on 'Riyadh Expo 2030'

The Secretary-General of the Bureau International des Expositions speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat during his visit to Riyadh (Photo Credit: Turki Al-Agili)
The Secretary-General of the Bureau International des Expositions speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat during his visit to Riyadh (Photo Credit: Turki Al-Agili)

Dimitri Kerkentzes, head of the Bureau International des Expositions (BIE), revealed that Riyadh is getting ready to turn its Expo 2030 plans into reality. He expressed hope that the expo would be a key part of Saudi Arabia’s progress.

According to a statement from the BIE on Friday, Kerkentzes visited Riyadh for the first time since it won the bid in November 2023. During his four-day visit, he, along with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, checked out Saudi Arabia’s preparations for hosting the expo.

Kerkentzes also met with top Saudi officials to discuss the expo’s plans.

 

The statement noted that since Riyadh won the bid, preparations have been in full swing. The next step is to start work on the expo's infrastructure. These efforts are part of Riyadh’s push to become one of the world’s top city economies and diversify its income sources.

The BIE announced that Riyadh will present a detailed plan for hosting Expo 2030. This plan covers legislative and financial measures, the main site layout, and legacy projects.

Once approved and registered at the BIE General Assembly, Riyadh Expo 2030 will kickstart Saudi Arabia’s engagement with participating countries and the implementation of the exhibition project.

During his visit to Riyadh, Kerkentzes spoke exclusively to Asharq Al-Awsat, marking his first interview since Riyadh won the bid to host the 2030 edition.

“We're Here to Work Together”

Speaking about his first visit after Riyadh won the bid to host the Riyadh Expo 2030 in November last year, Kerkentzes remarked that it was great to be back in the Kingdom and that it feels like coming home.

“During our initial visit, we came together as one team to kickstart this important project everyone is excited about for 2030,” said Kerkentzes.

“What pleased me most was seeing Saudi teams get back to work in Riyadh within 24 hours of winning the bid. There wasn't much time for celebration; they know there's a lot of work ahead,” he added.

Kerkentzes praised the teams, particularly those at the Riyadh Royal Commission and the Public Investment Fund, for their hard work towards advancing to the next stage of preparation and beginning the implementation of this highly anticipated Expo edition, which was overwhelmingly endorsed by the General Assembly of the BIE as an “exceptional and unprecedented edition.”

 

“What Will Riyadh Be Like in 2030?”

When asked about Riyadh’s future in six years, Kerkentzes said: “Every time I go back to Riyadh, I see changes. There’s always something new happening, showing how much the city and Saudi Arabia are evolving... With the Crown Prince’s vision, I see Riyadh progressing each time I visit, making it a top destination by 2030.”

“Riyadh Expo 2030 will contribute to Saudi Arabia’s transformation,” added the BIE secretary-general.

Big Projects in Riyadh

Riyadh is buzzing with major projects underway, all in sync with the Kingdom’s national transformation plan, Saudi Vision 2030, and Riyadh Expo 2030.

When asked about standout projects, Kerkentzes chuckled and said, “Well, as you’d expect, being from the BIE, Riyadh Expo 2030 tops the list.”

“But let's be realistic. Transforming a city and a nation takes time and careful planning. Saudi Vision 2030, led by the Crown Prince, is laying out a fantastic strategy for this. Riyadh Expo 2030 is a major part of that puzzle,” he added.

 

Breaking Technological Barriers

Kerkentzes believes that the Saudi Crown Prince aims to host “an expo like no other.”

Affirming that the goal is to go beyond what previous exhibition editions have done before, Kerkentzes urged all countries to think seriously about this during the six years of preparation.

“We want to bring the most innovative technologies here, which will be crucial for our future,” he said.

 



Makkah Deputy Governor Carries Out Field Inspection of Grand Mosque Readiness for Ramadan 

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
TT

Makkah Deputy Governor Carries Out Field Inspection of Grand Mosque Readiness for Ramadan 

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz inspected the readiness of the Grand Mosque and its facilities, conducting a field tour to review operational and service preparations for receiving worshippers and Umrah performers during the holy month of Ramadan, reported the Saudi Press Agency on Tuesday.

Prince Saud was briefed on the operational plans implemented by the relevant authorities, including crowd management mechanisms, service enhancements, and facility preparations aimed at ensuring smooth movement and enhancing comfort and safety levels for visitors to the Grand Mosque, particularly during peak times.

He reviewed developmental initiatives and smart services supporting the operational system, notably electric mobility carts for transporting the elderly, persons with disabilities, and those in need of assistance within the Grand Mosque.

The tour also included an overview of the efforts of guidance teams deployed across the corridors and courtyards of the Grand Mosque, providing multilingual assistance and direction.

Prince Saud reviewed the interactive map and digital mobility platform, which allows visitors to plan their routes in advance and identify service locations, entrances and exits, and less crowded pathways.

He was briefed on crowd management systems, including the visitor density sensor platform that measures human density in real time, and the Tawaf and Sa’i crowd status display service, which allows worshippers to select appropriate times to perform rituals with ease. Models of the modern multilingual guidance system were also reviewed.

Prince Saud also visited the Smart Engineering Command and Control Center, which serves as an advanced central platform linking operational systems and monitoring performance in real time, boosting operational efficiency and raising readiness levels during Ramadan.


Saudi Leadership Provides Two Donations Worth SAR150 Mln Through Jood Eskan Platform

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Leadership Provides Two Donations Worth SAR150 Mln Through Jood Eskan Platform

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister, have provided two generous donations amounting to SAR150 million through the Jood Eskan platform.

The move aligns with the leadership's commitment to supporting all national efforts and initiatives to provide suitable housing for deserving families.

Minister of Municipalities and Housing and Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Developmental Housing Foundation (Sakan) Majed Al-Hogail expressed his deep gratitude to the leadership for its unwavering support to all national efforts and initiatives aimed at providing suitable housing for eligible families across the Kingdom.

He noted the effective impact of previous generous donations in achieving the goals of housing development, and motivating individuals and institutions to donate through the Jood Eskan platform that is based on community giving that helps provide decent housing and boosts stability and quality of life for deserving families.


Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, received on Tuesday a written message from President of Kazakhstan Kassym-Jomart Tokayev on bilateral relations between their two countries.

The message was received by Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah during a meeting with his Kazakh counterpart Yermek Kosherbayev in Riyadh.