Riyadh Meeting: Sanctions Are Obstructing Growth, Syria’s Future Will Be Decided by Syrians

Officials pose for a family photo at the Riyadh meeting on Syria on Sunday. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Officials pose for a family photo at the Riyadh meeting on Syria on Sunday. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
TT

Riyadh Meeting: Sanctions Are Obstructing Growth, Syria’s Future Will Be Decided by Syrians

Officials pose for a family photo at the Riyadh meeting on Syria on Sunday. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)
Officials pose for a family photo at the Riyadh meeting on Syria on Sunday. (Saudi Foreign Ministry)

Saudi Arabia urged top European diplomats at a gathering Sunday to lift sanctions against Syria to boost rebuilding the country and its economy after last month’s overthrow of President Bashar al-Assad.

European and Middle Eastern diplomats met in the Saudi capital Riyadh to discuss Syria’s future. The US and European countries have been wary over the roots of Syria’s new rulers — the former insurgents who drove Assad out of power — and have said ending sanctions depends on the progress of the political transition.

The interim government led by the former opposition factions has vowed to move to a pluralist, open system. It is looking for international support as the country tries to recover from nearly 14 years of civil war that killed an estimated 500,000 people and displaced half the prewar population of 23 million. The new Syrian foreign minister, Asaad al-Shaibani, attended Sunday’s gathering.

Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah said international and unilateral sanctions on Syria should be lifted.

Continuing them “will hinder the aspirations of the brotherly Syrian people to achieve development and reconstruction,” he said. He praised steps so far by the interim government, including promises to start a political process “that includes various components” of the Syrian people.

Tackling any challenges or sources of concern should take place through dialogue and in a way that respects Syria’s independence and sovereignty, he added. “Syria’s future will be decided by the Syrian people,” he declared.

Saudi Arabia believes that the people have the right to determine their own fate through internal dialogue that ends all of their crises, he went on to say.

The United States, European Union and some Arab nations began imposing sanctions after Assad’s brutal crackdown on the 2011 uprising against his rule and tightened them as the conflict spiraled into war. Some are on individuals in Assad’s government, including freezing of assets. But many target the government in general, including bans on many financial and banking dealings, on oil purchases and on investment or trade in some sectors, crippling the wider economy.

There are exemptions when it comes to humanitarian aid, but relief organizations have said that overcompliance by financial institutions hinders their operations.

At the gathering, German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock said sanctions against “Assad’s henchmen who committed serious crimes” must remain in place.

But she called for “a smart approach to sanctions, providing rapid relief for the Syrian population. Syrians now need a quick dividend from the transition of power.” She did not elaborate but announced an additional 50 million euros ($51.2 million) in German aid for food, emergency shelters and medical care.

EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas, who also attended the meeting, said European countries want to see a government that includes all of Syria’s religious and ethnic communities. “We want to see inclusivity of women also in the process, so these are the things that we are going to discuss,” she said.

Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said his country, which was a strong supporter of the Syrian opposition to Assad, would try to help Syria in normalizing ties with the international community.

He said it was important to establish “a balance between the expectations of the international community and the realities faced by the new administration in Syria.”

He pledged Turkish support to the new government, especially in combating threats from the ISIS group. “As Türkiye, we are ready to do our part to ease the difficult path ahead for the Syrian people,” he said in comments carried by Türkiye’s state-run Anadolu Agency.

Last week, the United States eased some of its restrictions on Syria, with the US Treasury issuing a general license, lasting six months, that authorizes certain transactions with the Syrian government, including some energy sales and incidental transactions.

The US has also dropped a $10 million bounty it had offered for the capture of Ahmad al-Sharaa, a Syrian rebel leader formerly known as Abu Mohammed al-Golani, whose forces led the ouster of Assad last month. Al-Sharaa was a former senior al-Qaeda fighter who broke with the group years ago and has pledged an inclusive Syria that respects the rights of religious minorities.

The opposition led a lightning insurgency that ousted Assad on Dec. 8 and ended his family’s decades-long rule.

Much of the world severed ties with Assad and imposed sanctions on his government — and its Russian and Iranian allies — over alleged war crimes and the manufacturing of the amphetamine-like stimulant Captagon, which reportedly generated billions of dollars as packages of the little white pills were smuggled across Syria’s porous borders.

With Assad out of the picture, Syria’s new authorities hope that the international community will pour money into the country to rebuild its battered infrastructure and make its economy viable again.

Sunday’s meeting brought together foreign ministers and representatives from Bahrain, Egypt, France, Germany, Iraq, Italy, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Spain, Syria, Türkiye, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, the United States, as well as the Secretary-General of the Arab League, the High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, the Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council, and the UN Special Envoy for Syria.

The meeting also addressed concerns over Israel's incursions into the buffer zone and neighboring sites in Mount Hermon and Quneitra Governorate. Participants underscored the need to respect Syria's unity, sovereignty, and territorial integrity.

Prince Faisal reiterated the Saudi Arabia’s strong condemnation of Israel's incursions into Syrian territories, calling them violations of international law and the 1974 disengagement agreement. He demanded the immediate withdrawal of Israeli forces and renewed the Kingdom's rejection of such actions as acts of aggression and occupation.



Iraqi Foreign Ministry Regrets Attacks that Targeted Saudi Arabia

The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. (Ministry website)
The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. (Ministry website)
TT

Iraqi Foreign Ministry Regrets Attacks that Targeted Saudi Arabia

The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. (Ministry website)
The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. (Ministry website)

The Iraqi Foreign Ministry expressed on Monday its "grave concern" over drone attacks that targeted Saudi Arabia on Sunday, stressing its categorical rejection of any assault against the Kingdom.

Late Sunday, Saudi Arabia said it had intercepted and destroyed three drones that entered from Iraqi airspace, adding that it "reserves the right to respond at the appropriate time and place."

In a statement, the Iraqi ministry underscored the "depth of the brotherly and historic bonds that bind Iraq and Saudi Arabia."

It also underlined Baghdad’s constant keenness on bolstering bilateral cooperation in various fields.

Authorities have opened an investigation "to determine the circumstances surrounding" Sunday’s incident, it added.

The country's air defense systems had not detected any drones launched from its territory toward Saudi Arabia, it went on to say.

The ministry urged Riyadh "to cooperate and share relevant information to help ensure accurate information that strengthen security and stability in both brotherly countries."

It stressed "Iraq’s firm position in respecting the security, safety and sovereignty of fraternal countries, rejecting any acts that undermine their stability, threaten their national security and harm bilateral relations."

No Iraqi group has claimed responsibility for the drones.

After the United States and Israel attacked Iran on February 28, and before a ceasefire was announced, Tehran-backed Iraqi groups intervened in support of Iran and struck US facilities in Iraq and the wider region, including Gulf countries.

Last month, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain and Jordan issued a joint statement demanding that Baghdad act immediately to prevent attacks from its territory by Iran-backed armed groups.

Iraq has repeatedly said it does not allow its territory to be used in attacks against other countries.


MWL Condemns Drone Attack on Saudi Arabia

The Muslim World League (MWL) logo
The Muslim World League (MWL) logo
TT

MWL Condemns Drone Attack on Saudi Arabia

The Muslim World League (MWL) logo
The Muslim World League (MWL) logo

The Muslim World League (MWL) strongly condemned the drone attack on Saudi Arabia launched from Iraqi airspace and commended the high efficiency demonstrated in intercepting and neutralizing the drones, SPA reported.

In a statement issued by the MWL General Secretariat, Secretary-General and Chairman of the Organization of Muslim Scholars Sheikh Dr. Mohammed Al-Issa denounced the criminal attacks, which violate all religious values, international laws, and humanitarian norms.

On behalf of the MWL councils, bodies, and global assemblies, and in the name of Islamic peoples under its umbrella, he reaffirmed full solidarity with the Kingdom in all measures it takes to protect its security, stability, and the safety of its people.


UAE Strongly Condemns Drone Attack on Saudi Arabia

File photo of the Saudi flag/AAWSAT
File photo of the Saudi flag/AAWSAT
TT

UAE Strongly Condemns Drone Attack on Saudi Arabia

File photo of the Saudi flag/AAWSAT
File photo of the Saudi flag/AAWSAT

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) strongly condemned the drone attack on the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia launched from Iraqi airspace, describing it as an unacceptable act of aggression, a violation of the Kingdom’s sovereignty, and a threat to its security and the security of the region, SPA reported.

In a statement issued Monday, the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs reaffirmed the country's full solidarity with Saudi Arabia and its support for all measures taken to preserve its security, sovereignty, and the safety of its citizens and residents.