Kellogg Describes Monday’s Talks in Saudi Arabia as Shuttle Diplomacy Between Hotel Rooms

Jeddah talks between the US and Russian delegations at Al-Diriyah Palace in Riyadh on February 18 (Reuters)
Jeddah talks between the US and Russian delegations at Al-Diriyah Palace in Riyadh on February 18 (Reuters)
TT

Kellogg Describes Monday’s Talks in Saudi Arabia as Shuttle Diplomacy Between Hotel Rooms

Jeddah talks between the US and Russian delegations at Al-Diriyah Palace in Riyadh on February 18 (Reuters)
Jeddah talks between the US and Russian delegations at Al-Diriyah Palace in Riyadh on February 18 (Reuters)

With 48 hours remaining before separate US-mediated talks between Ukraine and Russia in Saudi Arabia, both sides have expressed hope for progress toward a potential ceasefire in the three-year-long war. US negotiators will meet separately with the Russian and Ukrainian delegations on Monday in what US envoy Keith Kellogg described as shuttle diplomacy between hotel rooms.

Moscow stated that it hopes for some progress in the negotiations, according to Russian negotiator Grigory Karasin, who spoke to a state television channel. Meanwhile, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha said on Saturday that Ukraine is striving for peace more than any other country and is working with US and European partners to achieve it.

Despite diplomatic efforts and pressure from US President Donald Trump, achieving a breakthrough remains difficult. Karasin, speaking to Russia’s Defense Ministry-affiliated Zvezda TV channel, expressed cautious optimism, stating that he and fellow negotiator Sergey Beseda, a senior official in Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB), are approaching the talks with a constructive and positive attitude.

A Ukrainian official told Agence France Presse that Kyiv hopes the negotiations will lead, at the very least, to a halt in attacks on energy facilities, infrastructure, and Black Sea ports by both sides.

The Russian delegation is expected to arrive in Saudi Arabia on Sunday and return home on Tuesday. The choice of Russian negotiators has raised questions, as neither Karasin nor Beseda comes from traditional diplomatic institutions such as the Kremlin or the foreign and defense ministries. Karasin is a former diplomat and current senator in Russia’s upper house of parliament, while Beseda is a high-ranking FSB officer. The FSB admitted in 2014 that Beseda had been in Kyiv during the violent suppression of pro-European protests.

According to Ukraine’s Foreign Ministry, Monday’s talks in Saudi Arabia between Ukrainian and US representatives will primarily focus on technical aspects of a potential limited ceasefire between Russia and Ukraine. Foreign Ministry spokesman Heorhii Tykhyistated that the meeting aims to set standards for the various ceasefire options currently on the table.

Tykhyi confirmed that Ukraine had agreed to a US proposal for a full 30-day ceasefire and once again blamed Russia for failing to implement any form of truce. However, he added that Ukraine has no information about the separate negotiations between the US and Russia in Saudi Arabia, emphasizing that Kyiv is only preparing for its discussions with the American representatives.

Sybiha will not travel to Saudi Arabia, but Defense Minister Rustem Umerov is expected to participate in the talks. Discussions will focus on a US proposal to ensure the safety of maritime navigation in the Black Sea by implementing a limited ceasefire in designated maritime areas.



Makkah Deputy Governor Carries Out Field Inspection of Grand Mosque Readiness for Ramadan 

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
TT

Makkah Deputy Governor Carries Out Field Inspection of Grand Mosque Readiness for Ramadan 

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)
Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz is seen during his inspection tour at the Grand Mosque in the holy city of Makkah. (SPA)

Deputy Governor of the Makkah Region Prince Saud bin Mishaal bin Abdulaziz inspected the readiness of the Grand Mosque and its facilities, conducting a field tour to review operational and service preparations for receiving worshippers and Umrah performers during the holy month of Ramadan, reported the Saudi Press Agency on Tuesday.

Prince Saud was briefed on the operational plans implemented by the relevant authorities, including crowd management mechanisms, service enhancements, and facility preparations aimed at ensuring smooth movement and enhancing comfort and safety levels for visitors to the Grand Mosque, particularly during peak times.

He reviewed developmental initiatives and smart services supporting the operational system, notably electric mobility carts for transporting the elderly, persons with disabilities, and those in need of assistance within the Grand Mosque.

The tour also included an overview of the efforts of guidance teams deployed across the corridors and courtyards of the Grand Mosque, providing multilingual assistance and direction.

Prince Saud reviewed the interactive map and digital mobility platform, which allows visitors to plan their routes in advance and identify service locations, entrances and exits, and less crowded pathways.

He was briefed on crowd management systems, including the visitor density sensor platform that measures human density in real time, and the Tawaf and Sa’i crowd status display service, which allows worshippers to select appropriate times to perform rituals with ease. Models of the modern multilingual guidance system were also reviewed.

Prince Saud also visited the Smart Engineering Command and Control Center, which serves as an advanced central platform linking operational systems and monitoring performance in real time, boosting operational efficiency and raising readiness levels during Ramadan.


Saudi Leadership Provides Two Donations Worth SAR150 Mln Through Jood Eskan Platform

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Leadership Provides Two Donations Worth SAR150 Mln Through Jood Eskan Platform

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister, have provided two generous donations amounting to SAR150 million through the Jood Eskan platform.

The move aligns with the leadership's commitment to supporting all national efforts and initiatives to provide suitable housing for deserving families.

Minister of Municipalities and Housing and Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Developmental Housing Foundation (Sakan) Majed Al-Hogail expressed his deep gratitude to the leadership for its unwavering support to all national efforts and initiatives aimed at providing suitable housing for eligible families across the Kingdom.

He noted the effective impact of previous generous donations in achieving the goals of housing development, and motivating individuals and institutions to donate through the Jood Eskan platform that is based on community giving that helps provide decent housing and boosts stability and quality of life for deserving families.


Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, received on Tuesday a written message from President of Kazakhstan Kassym-Jomart Tokayev on bilateral relations between their two countries.

The message was received by Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah during a meeting with his Kazakh counterpart Yermek Kosherbayev in Riyadh.