Mina Camp Opens for Hajj Pilgrims ahead of Day of Arafat

A view of the Mina camp. (SPA)
A view of the Mina camp. (SPA)
TT

Mina Camp Opens for Hajj Pilgrims ahead of Day of Arafat

A view of the Mina camp. (SPA)
A view of the Mina camp. (SPA)

Pilgrims began streaming into the valley of Mina early Tuesday to mark the beginning of the Hajj pilgrimage, spending the Day of Tarwiyah on Wednesday in line with the traditions of the Prophet Mohammed.

White tents have been prepared to receive the faithful, as Saudi authorities roll out a wide range of services to ensure pilgrims can perform their rituals safely and smoothly.

Crowds will swell further on Thursday, when some 2.5 million worshippers are expected to converge on Mount Arafat – the pinnacle of the Hajj – for the most sacred rite of the pilgrimage.

Pilgrims will listen to the Day of Arafat sermon and perform shortened noon and afternoon prayers before departing at sunset.

Strict measures

The Ministry of Interior reminded the public that access to the holy sites is restricted to those with official Hajj permits. Security forces, backed by aerial surveillance, are deployed across main highways, mountain paths, and rural roads to intercept unauthorized entrants and enforce regulations.

Authorities warned that transporting pilgrims without permits is a punishable offense. Entry points into Makkah and the holy sites are tightly monitored to prevent violations, with penalties in place for anyone attempting to bypass security measures.

Safety protocols in place

Regulations also prohibit raising political or sectarian flags and chanting slogans within the holy sites. Pilgrims are instructed not to block walkways or sit along designated pedestrian routes.

Worshippers are urged to carry personal identification, wear face masks within the Grand Mosque and holy sites, and avoid bringing sharp objects, oversized luggage, or extra garments such as blankets and spare Ihram clothes into the Haram.

Saudi Arabia, which has ramped up preparations to host one of the world’s largest religious gatherings, says these measures are vital to ensure the safety, security, and spiritual focus of the Hajj.

Tightened regulations

Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah, Dr. Tawfiq Al-Rabiah, underscored the importance of compliance with official guidelines for movement within the holy sites, stressing that such measures are crucial to safeguarding pilgrims and ensuring a smooth and spiritually fulfilling experience.

“This year, there will be strict enforcement to verify that every pilgrim holds a valid Hajj permit,” Al-Rabiah said, underscoring efforts to boost the overall quality and safety of the pilgrimage.

He also emphasized the significance of the Nusuk card, calling it a key tool in organizing pilgrim movements. “Anyone without the card will not be allowed entry into the Grand Mosque, the holy sites, or access to transportation,” he stressed.

Health conditions ‘reassuring’

During a press briefing on Wednesday, Ministry of Health spokesperson Eng. Khaled Al-Taleb announced that the overall health situation among pilgrims is stable and reassuring.

More than 50,000 medical and technical staff are deployed this season, supported by three mobile field hospitals and 71 emergency response stations. The ministry has also increased hospital bed capacity by 60% compared to last year, and has delivered over 98,000 healthcare services so far.



Iraqi Foreign Ministry Regrets Attacks that Targeted Saudi Arabia

The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. (Ministry website)
The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. (Ministry website)
TT

Iraqi Foreign Ministry Regrets Attacks that Targeted Saudi Arabia

The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. (Ministry website)
The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. (Ministry website)

The Iraqi Foreign Ministry expressed on Monday its "grave concern" over drone attacks that targeted Saudi Arabia on Sunday, stressing its categorical rejection of any assault against the Kingdom.

Late Sunday, Saudi Arabia said it had intercepted and destroyed three drones that entered from Iraqi airspace, adding that it "reserves the right to respond at the appropriate time and place."

In a statement, the Iraqi ministry underscored the "depth of the brotherly and historic bonds that bind Iraq and Saudi Arabia."

It also underlined Baghdad’s constant keenness on bolstering bilateral cooperation in various fields.

Authorities have opened an investigation "to determine the circumstances surrounding" Sunday’s incident, it added.

The country's air defense systems had not detected any drones launched from its territory toward Saudi Arabia, it went on to say.

The ministry urged Riyadh "to cooperate and share relevant information to help ensure accurate information that strengthen security and stability in both brotherly countries."

It stressed "Iraq’s firm position in respecting the security, safety and sovereignty of fraternal countries, rejecting any acts that undermine their stability, threaten their national security and harm bilateral relations."

No Iraqi group has claimed responsibility for the drones.

After the United States and Israel attacked Iran on February 28, and before a ceasefire was announced, Tehran-backed Iraqi groups intervened in support of Iran and struck US facilities in Iraq and the wider region, including Gulf countries.

Last month, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain and Jordan issued a joint statement demanding that Baghdad act immediately to prevent attacks from its territory by Iran-backed armed groups.

Iraq has repeatedly said it does not allow its territory to be used in attacks against other countries.


MWL Condemns Drone Attack on Saudi Arabia

The Muslim World League (MWL) logo
The Muslim World League (MWL) logo
TT

MWL Condemns Drone Attack on Saudi Arabia

The Muslim World League (MWL) logo
The Muslim World League (MWL) logo

The Muslim World League (MWL) strongly condemned the drone attack on Saudi Arabia launched from Iraqi airspace and commended the high efficiency demonstrated in intercepting and neutralizing the drones, SPA reported.

In a statement issued by the MWL General Secretariat, Secretary-General and Chairman of the Organization of Muslim Scholars Sheikh Dr. Mohammed Al-Issa denounced the criminal attacks, which violate all religious values, international laws, and humanitarian norms.

On behalf of the MWL councils, bodies, and global assemblies, and in the name of Islamic peoples under its umbrella, he reaffirmed full solidarity with the Kingdom in all measures it takes to protect its security, stability, and the safety of its people.


UAE Strongly Condemns Drone Attack on Saudi Arabia

File photo of the Saudi flag/AAWSAT
File photo of the Saudi flag/AAWSAT
TT

UAE Strongly Condemns Drone Attack on Saudi Arabia

File photo of the Saudi flag/AAWSAT
File photo of the Saudi flag/AAWSAT

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) strongly condemned the drone attack on the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia launched from Iraqi airspace, describing it as an unacceptable act of aggression, a violation of the Kingdom’s sovereignty, and a threat to its security and the security of the region, SPA reported.

In a statement issued Monday, the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs reaffirmed the country's full solidarity with Saudi Arabia and its support for all measures taken to preserve its security, sovereignty, and the safety of its citizens and residents.