With Saudi Backing, Yemen Moves to Forge Southern Consensus and Restore State Authority in the North

Members of Yemen’s Presidential Leadership Council meet with the Saudi Defense Minister. Saba
Members of Yemen’s Presidential Leadership Council meet with the Saudi Defense Minister. Saba
TT

With Saudi Backing, Yemen Moves to Forge Southern Consensus and Restore State Authority in the North

Members of Yemen’s Presidential Leadership Council meet with the Saudi Defense Minister. Saba
Members of Yemen’s Presidential Leadership Council meet with the Saudi Defense Minister. Saba

Yemen’s Presidential Leadership Council took a series of far-reaching decisions on Thursday, including changes to its membership and the appointment of a new prime minister tasked with forming a new government, in a move aimed at reshaping power dynamics within the anti-Houthi camp and strengthening unified sovereign decision-making under declared Saudi support.

In a rapid sequence of decisions, the council revoked Faraj Al-Buhsani's membership, filled the resulting vacancies by appointing Lieutenant General Mahmoud Al-Subaihi and Dr. Salem Al-Khanbashi, accepted the resignation of Prime Minister Salem bin Braik’s government, and named Shaea Mohsen Al-Zandani to form a new cabinet.

The steps, which officials said were taken with Saudi Arabia playing a “decisive” role, are intended to normalize conditions in southern provinces, particularly Hadhramaut, and pave the way for a comprehensive south-to-south dialogue to be hosted in Riyadh.

The decision to strip Al-Buhsani of his membership in the Presidential Leadership Council was not merely a change in personnel, according to the legal reasoning published by official media, but a firm political and legal message.

The decision accused him of “breaching the principle of collective responsibility” and “challenging sovereign decisions.”

It said Al-Buhsani had “exploited his constitutional position to provide political and legal cover for illegal military movements” carried out by what it described as the dissolved Southern Transitional Council, including justifying the mobilization of forces from outside Hadhramaut to attack the province.

He was also accused of endorsing “unilateral measures” led by Aidarous al-Zubaidi, who has been referred to the public prosecutor on charges of high treason, actions that the decision said had contributed to undermining national unity.

The language of the ruling framed those actions as an “armed rebellion outside the framework of the state,” shifting the southern dispute from a political disagreement into a question of allegiance to state institutions and legitimacy.

The move was seen as a heavy blow to the dissolved Transitional Council and its supporters, reaffirming that southern demands must be pursued through constitutional and legal channels and through negotiations under Saudi sponsorship, rather than unilateral military action.

Rebalancing power

The appointment of Dr. Salem Al-Khanbashi, the governor of Hadhramaut, as a member of the Presidential Leadership Council while retaining his local post underscored the priority placed on stability in the oil-rich province.

In a previous interview with Asharq Al-Awsat, Al-Khanbashi said the Saudi position had been “decisive” in the rapid withdrawal of Southern Transitional Council forces from Hadhramaut.

His elevation to the council is seen as recognition of his recent efforts and is expected to strengthen the government camp’s ability to manage political and security conditions in Hadhramaut and across southern Yemen.

The appointment of Lt. Gen. Mahmoud Al-Subaihi, a veteran military commander, was viewed as bolstering the representation of the professional military establishment within the council and sending a reassuring message to forces fighting on the front lines against the Houthis.

Officials said it could also be a step toward unifying military formations under the Ministry of Defense, a key Saudi and international demand.

Accepting the government's resignation and appointing Al-Zandani to form a new cabinet was aimed at renewing government performance to meet the demands of a new phase, shifting from crisis management to rebuilding institutions and improving services.

The move coincided with Saudi Arabia’s announcement of $90 million in financial support to pay salaries, in addition to covering military wages starting Sunday.

Broader context

The latest Yemeni moves cannot be separated from Saudi Arabia’s regional role. Alongside the internal decisions, Riyadh announced a new development package for Yemen worth 1.9 billion Saudi riyals, or about $500 million, and preparations to host a south-to-south dialogue conference, while continuing efforts to reunify military forces.

The Saudi strategy, according to officials, centers on supporting Yemen’s legitimate authority to impose control, unify armed forces, end armed activity outside the state, and facilitate inclusive southern dialogue under its sponsorship to reach a unified vision addressing the southern issue.

Saudi Arabia has also continued its development and humanitarian efforts, linking political stability in Yemen to improved services and living conditions to restore public confidence in state institutions.

These developments come as UN envoy Hans Grundberg has warned of the truce's fragility, stressing that the future of the south cannot be imposed by force.

The changes appear aimed at forging a more cohesive and unified southern leadership capable of entering decisive negotiations over the shape of Yemen’s future state, before turning to the long-delayed settlement in the north, where the Houthis continue to obstruct regional and international efforts to end the conflict and re-enter a peace process to restore stability across Yemen.



Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, received on Tuesday a written message from President of Kazakhstan Kassym-Jomart Tokayev on bilateral relations between their two countries.

The message was received by Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah during a meeting with his Kazakh counterpart Yermek Kosherbayev in Riyadh.


Princes and Officials Take Oath Before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
TT

Princes and Officials Take Oath Before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)

Princes and officials appointed by royal orders to their new positions took the oath of office before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud in Riyadh on Tuesday.

They included Deputy Governor of Al-Baha Region Prince Fahd bin Saad bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz bin Turki; Member of the Shura Council Prince Dr. Saad bin Saud bin Mohammed bin Abdulaziz; Deputy Governor of Madinah Region Prince Saud bin Nahar bin Saud; Deputy Governor of Northern Borders Region Prince Mohammed bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz; and Minister of Investment Fahd Al-Saif.

They swore to be faithful to their religion, then their King and country, not to reveal any of the state’s secrets, to preserve its interests and regulations, and to perform their duties with honesty, trustworthiness, and sincerity.


Saudi Arabia Reiterates Its Categorical Rejection of Israel’s ‘State Land’ Decision in West Bank

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Arabia Reiterates Its Categorical Rejection of Israel’s ‘State Land’ Decision in West Bank

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chairs the Cabinet meeting in Riyadh. (SPA)

The Saudi government condemned on Tuesday Israel’s decision to West Bank lands as "state lands."

Reiterating its absolute rejection of these illegal measures, the Cabinet warned that they undermine peace efforts and violate the Palestinian people's inherent right to establish an independent, sovereign state within the 1967 borders, with East Jerusalem as its capital.

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud chaired the Cabinet session that was held in Riyadh.

The Cabinet congratulated citizens and Muslims on the advent of the holy month of Ramadan, expressing gratitude for the Kingdom's honor in caring for the two holy mosques and their visitors.

The Cabinet highlighted the success of the Hajj and Umrah seasons, noting that the Kingdom welcomed 19.5 million international pilgrims and Umrah performers in 2025, setting new records that reflect rapid progress toward the goals of Vision 2030 and the Pilgrim Experience Program.

The Cabinet described the Kingdom's Founding Day celebration on February 22 as an expression of pride in the Saudi state's nearly three-century history, underscoring the foundations of justice, unity, and development established by leaders and citizens throughout history to ensure the nation remains a global leader in all fields.

The Cabinet was briefed on recent talks between Saudi Arabia and various nations, which focused on strengthening bilateral and multilateral cooperation and boosting coordination to foster regional and international security, stability, and prosperity.

The session further reviewed the Kingdom's economic, cultural, and social activities, stressing the state's commitment to social solidarity and giving. This includes continued support for the sixth National Campaign for Charitable Work, set to begin on Friday.

The Cabinet commended the success of the third World Defense Show held in Riyadh under the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques' patronage, during which strategic partnerships, agreements, and memoranda of understanding were signed to localize military technologies and strengthen local supply chains in alignment with Vision 2030 objectives.