Al-Mahrami: Saudi Arabia Backs the Solution for Southern Yemen without Preconditions

Officials are seen at the consultative meeting on southern Yemen in Riyadh on Sunday. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Officials are seen at the consultative meeting on southern Yemen in Riyadh on Sunday. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Al-Mahrami: Saudi Arabia Backs the Solution for Southern Yemen without Preconditions

Officials are seen at the consultative meeting on southern Yemen in Riyadh on Sunday. (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Officials are seen at the consultative meeting on southern Yemen in Riyadh on Sunday. (Asharq Al-Awsat)

A consultative meeting on southern Yemen kicked off in Riyadh on Sunday. The meeting brings together leaderships, elders and senior figures from southern Yemen. 

In a statement, the gatherers said the meeting reflects the South’s “collective will to search for a just, secure and guaranteed solution” to the southern cause “away from escalation or attempts to create secondary conflicts that do not serve the South and its future.” 

They praised Saudi Arabia’s “clear” support for their cause as demonstrated in direct meetings with its leaders and officials, said the statement that was read by member of Yemen’s Presidential Leadership Council (PLC) Abou Zaraa Al-Mahrami. 

Saudi Arabia’s positions “align completely with the just demands of the people of the South and back their right to reach a comprehensive political solution that guarantees their dignity, security, stability and future without preconditions or political demands.” 

These positions allow the people to determine their political fate and destiny, including reclaiming full sovereignty, added the statement. 

Al-Mahrami said the upcoming Saudi-sponsored intra-southern dialogue “is a rare historic opportunity that should not be squandered or undermined through sparking internal southern disputes.” 

He cautioned against antagonizing the Kingdom or creating disputes with it, saying this “serves the parties that are opposed to our cause.” 

Furthermore, he stressed that no one will be marginalized, explaining that the dialogue is based on the greatest possible partnership and representation of the South. 

“Since arriving in Riyadh, we sensed clear and sincere support for the southern cause. Our presence here played a direct role in meeting the demands of our people and forces,” he continued. 

Al-Mahrami noted the Kingdom’s keenness on supporting the Yemeni people’s daily needs, as well as the country’s economy. 

“We also received direct assurances from Saudi officials that support for the southern forces will continue,” he added. The forces are protecting the South and its security and are deployed at battlefronts. 

The support will consolidate the stability of the South and block attempts to weaken the southern front or raise doubts about its people, he went on to say. 

The statement said Saudi Arabia’s economic and development support “are the pillars for the future partnership” between the South and the Kingdom. 

“Today’s meeting will pave the way for a real strategic future based on security, stability and development,” it stressed. 

Moreover, the statement noted that Saudi Arabia had been at the forefront in protecting the South against all threats. “It is the main partner in maintaining its security and stability and backing its just cause,” it added. 

“Saudi Arabia’s stances have proven that the Kingdom has and continues to be a sincere supporter and guarantor of the South’s security and stability,” it said. 

“The real danger against the South lies in the Houthi militias and their expansionist agendas against the South and entire region,” it warned. The statement also warned against the threat of ISIS and al-Qaeda. 

“We therefore categorically reject any attempts that aim to raise doubts against the Kingdom’s role,” it said, while also dismissing campaigns against the southern military and security forces led by the Giants Brigades and National Shield forces. 



Saudi Foreign Minister, Egyptian Counterpart Discuss Regional Developments

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah
TT

Saudi Foreign Minister, Egyptian Counterpart Discuss Regional Developments

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah received a phone call on Saturday from Egypt's Minister of Foreign Affairs, Emigration and Egyptian Expatriates Dr. Badr Abdelatty.

They discussed the latest regional developments and agreed to maintain bilateral coordination and consultation on these issues.


Albudaiwi: GCC States Consistently Seek to Enhance Global Security and Stability

Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi. SPA
Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi. SPA
TT

Albudaiwi: GCC States Consistently Seek to Enhance Global Security and Stability

Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi. SPA
Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi. SPA

Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi said that the GCC member states consistently seek to enhance security, stability, development, and prosperity to serve the mutual interests of the region's peoples and the entire world.

This comes in light of the rapid geopolitical shifts as well as growing security and economic challenges facing the globe, according to SPA.

During his participation in a panel session on GCC-European strategic links, held today in the Czech capital, Prague, on the sidelines of the GLOBSEC Global Security Forum 2026, the GCC secretary-general said: "The GCC General Secretariat’s participation in the GLOBSEC Global Security Forum 2026 embodies its keenness to maintain an active presence in regional and international forums. This engagement aims to bolster communication and exchange perspectives with international partners, decision-makers, and experts, thereby supporting efforts to maintain regional and international security while keeping pace with rapid global changes."

He also pointed out that the region has recently witnessed several events that have heavily impacted security and stability, adding that the GCC states have sustained their continuous diplomatic efforts to de-escalate and defuse tensions in the region, promoting paths of dialogue and diplomacy to protect regional security, stability, and the safety of its peoples.

The GCC secretary-general underscored the paramount importance of protecting the security of air and maritime corridors, ensuring freedom of navigation, the safety of supply chains, and the stability of global energy market.

"The stability of the Gulf region remains a fundamental pillar for the stability of the global economy and international maritime security," he reiterated.

Albudaiwi explained that recent developments have proven that the security of Europe and the Middle East has become unprecedentedly interconnected, asserting that any disruption in the Gulf region and its surrounding maritime passages directly affects the European economy, global energy security, supply chains, and international stability as a whole. He stressed that Gulf stability is no longer merely a regional matter, but has become a shared international interest.

Discussing the future of Gulf-European relations, Albudaiwi mentioned that both sides aspire to elevate their ties to broader horizons.

He added that the upcoming GCC-EU Summit will contribute to cementing cooperation across numerous fields and achieving the mutual interests of both parties, emphasizing the significance of reaching tangible results that serve both sides and elevate their ongoing cooperation.


Saudi Arabia Says Will Not Allow Practices That Deviate Hajj from its Objectives

Security commanders are seen at the press conference in Makkah on Friday (Bashir Saleh)
Security commanders are seen at the press conference in Makkah on Friday (Bashir Saleh)
TT

Saudi Arabia Says Will Not Allow Practices That Deviate Hajj from its Objectives

Security commanders are seen at the press conference in Makkah on Friday (Bashir Saleh)
Security commanders are seen at the press conference in Makkah on Friday (Bashir Saleh)

Saudi Arabia said it would not allow the Hajj to be used for any activity that strays from its religious purpose, as more than 1.5 million pilgrims arrived from abroad by Friday afternoon.

He made his statement during a press conference by Hajj security commanders at the Unified Security Operations Center (911) in the Makkah region.

Officials outlined security, traffic, and organizational plans for this year’s holy pilgrimage, along with related instructions and guidelines.

Lt. Gen. Mohammed Al-Bassami, director of Public Security, said the Hajj security system was fully ready to carry out its duties.

“Our goal is for pilgrims to reach their destination, perform their rituals, and return home safely,” he stressed.

Al-Bassami said crowd management plans focused on regulating pilgrim flows and minimizing overlap between routes. Technology, he said, was playing a key role alongside security personnel on the ground.

He said authorities were prepared for various scenarios based on risk assessments, following extensive drills and field exercises to test the readiness of all security agencies.

Lt. Gen. Mohammed Al-Omari, commander of the Special Emergency Forces at the Presidency of State Security, described the security plans as “integrated, proactive and flexible.” He said security forces were deployed in the central area and the holy sites to protect pilgrims.

Maj. Gen. Dr. Hammoud Al-Faraj, director general of Civil Defense, said preparations for the Hajj season were complete.

“We trained all bodies involved in serving pilgrims on self-protection,” he said, adding that male and female volunteers were working alongside Civil Defense personnel across all tasks and operations.

Maj. Gen. Dr. Saleh Al-Murabba, commander of the Passports Forces for Hajj, said the “Makkah Route” initiative accounted for 30% of arriving pilgrims. He said 1,518,153 pilgrims had arrived from outside Saudi Arabia by Friday afternoon.