Iraqi Foreign Ministry Regrets Attacks that Targeted Saudi Arabia

The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. (Ministry website)
The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. (Ministry website)
TT

Iraqi Foreign Ministry Regrets Attacks that Targeted Saudi Arabia

The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. (Ministry website)
The Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. (Ministry website)

The Iraqi Foreign Ministry expressed on Monday its "grave concern" over drone attacks that targeted Saudi Arabia on Sunday, stressing its categorical rejection of any assault against the Kingdom.

Late Sunday, Saudi Arabia said it had intercepted and destroyed three drones that entered from Iraqi airspace, adding that it "reserves the right to respond at the appropriate time and place."

In a statement, the Iraqi ministry underscored the "depth of the brotherly and historic bonds that bind Iraq and Saudi Arabia."

It also underlined Baghdad’s constant keenness on bolstering bilateral cooperation in various fields.

Authorities have opened an investigation "to determine the circumstances surrounding" Sunday’s incident, it added.

The country's air defense systems had not detected any drones launched from its territory toward Saudi Arabia, it went on to say.

The ministry urged Riyadh "to cooperate and share relevant information to help ensure accurate information that strengthen security and stability in both brotherly countries."

It stressed "Iraq’s firm position in respecting the security, safety and sovereignty of fraternal countries, rejecting any acts that undermine their stability, threaten their national security and harm bilateral relations."

No Iraqi group has claimed responsibility for the drones.

After the United States and Israel attacked Iran on February 28, and before a ceasefire was announced, Tehran-backed Iraqi groups intervened in support of Iran and struck US facilities in Iraq and the wider region, including Gulf countries.

Last month, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain and Jordan issued a joint statement demanding that Baghdad act immediately to prevent attacks from its territory by Iran-backed armed groups.

Iraq has repeatedly said it does not allow its territory to be used in attacks against other countries.



Saudi Arabia, Arab and Muslim Countries Condemn Israeli E1 Settlement Plan

Israeli settlers move into the former Israeli settlement of Kadim near the West Bank city of Jenin, 20 August 2026. (EPA)
Israeli settlers move into the former Israeli settlement of Kadim near the West Bank city of Jenin, 20 August 2026. (EPA)
TT

Saudi Arabia, Arab and Muslim Countries Condemn Israeli E1 Settlement Plan

Israeli settlers move into the former Israeli settlement of Kadim near the West Bank city of Jenin, 20 August 2026. (EPA)
Israeli settlers move into the former Israeli settlement of Kadim near the West Bank city of Jenin, 20 August 2026. (EPA)

The foreign ministers of Saudi Arabia, Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, Indonesia, Pakistan, Türkiye, Qatar, and Egypt condemned on Friday “Israel’s continued illegal settlement policies in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, categorically rejecting the E1 settlement plan and related settlement activities east of occupied East Jerusalem.”

In a statement, they further reiterated their condemnation “of the violations and acts of violence perpetrated by settlers, with the support of the Israeli occupying authorities, against the Palestinian people and their property.”

They stressed that such acts “in no way diminish the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people and constitute violations of international law and relevant United Nations resolutions, while posing a serious threat to regional and international peace and security.”

The ministers warned that the E1 settlement plan “constitutes a dangerous escalation that further advances settlement expansion and annexation and undermines the geographical contiguity of the Occupied Palestinian Territory, particularly between the West Bank and East Jerusalem, thereby threatening the viability and realization of an independent, contiguous Palestinian State based on the 1967 lines with East Jerusalem as its capital.”

Such actions “are a direct challenge to international efforts aimed at achieving peace,” foremost among them US President Donald Trump’s Comprehensive Plan, “including its unequivocal rejection of annexation and forced displacement, and the mechanisms envisaged for its implementation through the Board of Peace.”

It is also a violation Trump’s “firm commitment to not allow annexation of the West Bank, with a view to achieving stability and bringing the conflict to an end.”

The ministers reaffirmed that the two-state solution, in accordance with international law and relevant United Nations resolutions, “remains the only viable path towards a just, comprehensive and lasting peace.”

They warned that “actions aimed at undermining this solution risk further escalating tensions, threatening regional and international peace and security, and jeopardizing prospects for lasting peace and stability in the region.”

The ministers expressed their support for “all efforts aimed at ensuring accountability, including through appropriate international measures and sanctions against entities and individuals responsible for illegal settlement activities, including the E1 settlement plan, as well as those supporting, facilitating or implementing policies of settlement expansion and annexation.”

They called for an end to “any support or financing that contributes to the establishment, expansion or entrenchment of illegal settlements.”

They stressed that “the lack of accountability contributes to the continuation of violations and further undermines prospects for a just and comprehensive peace.”

The ministers called for “immediate action” to halt the E1 settlement plan, rescind all measures taken in connection with it, and cease all settlement activities and other measures “aimed at altering the geographic and demographic character of the Occupied Palestinian Territory.”

They called on the UN Security Council, all states and relevant international actors “to uphold their responsibilities under international law and take urgent and effective measures to halt illegal settlement expansion, and to ensure the protection of the Palestinian people, safeguard their inalienable rights, including their right to self-determination, and realize their independent state, in accordance with international law and relevant UN resolutions."


Saudi Crown Prince Heads to France on Official Visit

Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Heads to France on Official Visit

Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, traveled to France on Friday on an official visit.

In a statement, the Royal Court said the visit is taking place upon the directives of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, and in response to an invitation extended by French President Emmanuel Macron.


Saudi Arabia Condemns Bombing Near Educational Center in Kabul

The Saudi flag. Asharq Al-Awsat
The Saudi flag. Asharq Al-Awsat
TT

Saudi Arabia Condemns Bombing Near Educational Center in Kabul

The Saudi flag. Asharq Al-Awsat
The Saudi flag. Asharq Al-Awsat

The Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs expressed the Kingdom’s condemnation and denunciation of the bombing near an educational center in the Afghan capital, Kabul, which left dozens injured, SPA reported on Friday.

In a statement, the ministry reiterated the Kingdom's absolute rejection of all forms of violence, extremism, and terrorism, expressing solidarity with the Afghan government and people.

The ministry extended Saudi Arabia's wishes for a swift recovery to the injured and for lasting security, peace, and stability across Afghanistan.