UAE Says Drones Targeting Nuclear Plant Came from Iraq

The United Arab Emirates flag flutters against the backdrop of the Abu Dhabi Skyline following a reported Iranian strike, March 1, 2026. (AFP)
The United Arab Emirates flag flutters against the backdrop of the Abu Dhabi Skyline following a reported Iranian strike, March 1, 2026. (AFP)
TT

UAE Says Drones Targeting Nuclear Plant Came from Iraq

The United Arab Emirates flag flutters against the backdrop of the Abu Dhabi Skyline following a reported Iranian strike, March 1, 2026. (AFP)
The United Arab Emirates flag flutters against the backdrop of the Abu Dhabi Skyline following a reported Iranian strike, March 1, 2026. (AFP)

The United Arab Emirates on Tuesday said drones that targeted its nuclear plant last week came from Iraq, from where Iranian-backed groups have launched several attacks since the Middle East war began.

On Sunday, an unclaimed drone struck an electrical generator near the Arab world's only nuclear power plant in Barakah in the emirate of Abu Dhabi, triggering a fire but causing no injuries or radiation leak. Two other drones had been intercepted.

"As part of the ongoing investigation into the blatant attack on the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant on May 17, 2026, technical tracking and monitoring confirmed that the three drones... all originated from Iraqi territory," the Emirati defense ministry said.

Authorities intercepted six drones that also came from Iraq and "attempted to target civilian and vital areas" in the past 48 hours, the ministry added.

Iraqi authorities had already condemned the attack on Barakah before Abu Dhabi announced where the drones came from.

Iran has attacked the UAE and other Gulf nations since the US and Israel launched strikes on the country on February 28, targeting US assets but also energy and civilian infrastructure.

Iran-backed groups in Iraq have not claimed any strikes since the truce came into place, though Gulf countries have reported attacks from Iraq.

On Sunday, Saudi Arabia had reported intercepting drones that came from Iraq, while Baghdad said its defense systems had not detected any drones launched from its territory toward the Kingdom.



MWL, GCC Condemn Israeli Airstrikes on Syria’s Abu al-Duhur Military Airbase

A man rides a motorbike in the town of Abu al-Duhur, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A man rides a motorbike in the town of Abu al-Duhur, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

MWL, GCC Condemn Israeli Airstrikes on Syria’s Abu al-Duhur Military Airbase

A man rides a motorbike in the town of Abu al-Duhur, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
A man rides a motorbike in the town of Abu al-Duhur, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The Muslim World League (MWL) strongly condemned on Tuesday the Israeli airstrikes targeting Syria’s Abu al-Duhur Military Airbase, saying they are a violation of all international laws and norms.

In a statement, MWL Secretary-General and Chairman of the Organization of Muslim Scholars Sheikh Dr. Mohammed bin Abdulkarim Al-Issa slammed “the aggression against the sovereignty and resources of Syria”, reiterating the league's “full solidarity” with the country in confronting threats to its security, sovereignty and people.

Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Jasem Albudaiwi also strongly condemned the attack.

“The brutal Israeli targeting of Syrian territory is an unacceptable violation of its sovereignty and territorial sanctity, contradicting international rules and norms that prohibit infringing upon state sovereignty,” he said.

Such continued practices raise tension and escalation and undermine regional and international efforts aimed at achieving security and stability in the region, he warned.

Albudaiwi called on the international community to assume its responsibilities, take a firm stance against these violations, and work to halt Israeli attacks on Syrian territory to safeguard its security and stability.

He reiterated the GCC states' solidarity with Syria, and support for its sovereignty and territorial integrity.


Saudi Arabia Condemns Israeli Airstrikes on Syria’s Abu al-Duhur Military Airport

The Abu al-Duhur base following the Israeli strikes, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
The Abu al-Duhur base following the Israeli strikes, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Saudi Arabia Condemns Israeli Airstrikes on Syria’s Abu al-Duhur Military Airport

The Abu al-Duhur base following the Israeli strikes, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
The Abu al-Duhur base following the Israeli strikes, Syria, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)

Saudi Arabia strongly condemned on Tuesday Israeli airstrikes on Syria’s Abu al-Duhur Military Airport.

A Foreign Ministry statement said the Kingdom slammed the attack as a “flagrant violation of international law and Syria's sovereignty.”

“The Kingdom stresses its rejection of this blatant act of aggression and renews its call on the international community to put an end to Israel’s violations of international laws and norms,” it demanded.

It reiterated its solidarity with Syria and “support for all efforts aimed at safeguarding its sovereignty, preserving the integrity and unity of its territory, and achieving security and stability for the brotherly Syrian people.”


UAE Accuses Iran of Firing Ballistic Missiles at Its Territory

Tuesday's warning was the first such alert since a false alarm in June and an alert in July for an attack that ultimately did not enter UAE territory. (Reuters)
Tuesday's warning was the first such alert since a false alarm in June and an alert in July for an attack that ultimately did not enter UAE territory. (Reuters)
TT

UAE Accuses Iran of Firing Ballistic Missiles at Its Territory

Tuesday's warning was the first such alert since a false alarm in June and an alert in July for an attack that ultimately did not enter UAE territory. (Reuters)
Tuesday's warning was the first such alert since a false alarm in June and an alert in July for an attack that ultimately did not enter UAE territory. (Reuters)

The United Arab Emirates on Tuesday accused Iran of firing two ballistic missiles at its territory, marking the first time the defense ministry detected a barrage aimed at the country in months. 

"UAE air defenses detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran toward the country, with the first falling outside the country's territorial waters, while the second fell within the territorial waters," said a statement posted by the defense ministry on X. 

The statement came nearly two hours after a brief phone alert warned UAE residents of a "potential missile threat". 

"Due to the current situation, potential missile threats, immediately seek a safe place in the closest secure building," the interior ministry said in the phone alert, which was lifted shortly after. 

It was the first such alert since a false alarm in June and an alert in July for an attack that ultimately did not enter UAE territory. Before that, the last missile warning came in early May. 

Tankers belonging to state-owned oil company ADNOC have been repeatedly targeted in the past few weeks. 

When the Middle East war began on February 28, the UAE bore the brunt of Iran's attacks, with nearly 3,000 missiles and drones directed at the country -- more than anywhere else in the region. 

After a memorandum of understanding came into effect in June between the two parties, which has since collapsed, the UAE reported no attacks.