Libyan National Congress: UN Special Representative's Plan will not Succeed

UN Sec-Gen Special Representative and Head of UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) Ghassan Salame upon his arrival in Benghazi (Reuters)
UN Sec-Gen Special Representative and Head of UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) Ghassan Salame upon his arrival in Benghazi (Reuters)
TT

Libyan National Congress: UN Special Representative's Plan will not Succeed

UN Sec-Gen Special Representative and Head of UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) Ghassan Salame upon his arrival in Benghazi (Reuters)
UN Sec-Gen Special Representative and Head of UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) Ghassan Salame upon his arrival in Benghazi (Reuters)

The roadmap proposed by UN Sec-Gen Special Representative and Head of UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) Ghassan Salame will not succeed in solving the Libyan political crisis, according to a prominent official of the Libyan National Congress.

In its first announced stance, official spokesman of the LNC Omar Hmeidan said that sadly Salame’s plan doesn’t take into consideration the deteriorating situation in Libya. He stressed that the parties and current bodies can’t come up with the national project described by Salame.

During his unannounced visit to Morroco, Hmeidan said that the UN is helpless when it comes to the Libyan crisis adding that either the UN claims full responsibility or it may be for the best to withdraw the UNSMIL.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, Hmeidan believes that the best way is to announce a referendum on the constitution and electing a new parliament and head of state, adding that this should be issued by an authority recognized by the Security Council.

The LNC spokesperson said the former parliament is still a party to the political process and this should be recognized despite the denial of the presidential council of the Government of National Accord led by Fayez al-Sarraj.

The Congress still considers itself a legitimate authority but was denied from performing its duties and jurisdiction controlled by the authorities.

When asked about Abdul Basit Igtet, who is backed by the Muslim Brotherhood, and his proposal to replace Sarraj, Hmeidan stated that Igtet’s suggestion is democratic, and that the Congress is monitoring the situation to see the course of things.

Hmeidan believes the crisis in Libya will not end, pointing out that the UN is not fulfilling its duty towards the country.

He said all political initiatives were designed to be in favor of its brokers rather than aimed at serving the whole country.

In a related matter, foreign ministers of Egypt, Tunisia, and Algeria held a tripartite meeting on the sidelines of the 72nd UN General Assembly.

Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shokri and his Tunisian and Algerian counterparts respectively Khemaies Jhinaoui and Abdul Qadir Msaheel discussed efforts to back the Libyan national consensus and the UN's role in sponsoring the political solution in Libya.

Egyptian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Ahmed Abu Zed announced that the ministers discussed efforts of each country to help Libyans reach national consensus. He added that it had been agreed to maintain channels of communication between the three states.

Abu Zed pointed out that the ministers exchanged their evaluation for the initiatives and efforts exerted by international parties to help solve the Libyan crisis.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.