Democratic Union Party: We will Defend Kurdistan if Attacked

Women show their ink-stained fingers during Kurds independence referendum in Sulaimaniyah, Iraq September 25, 2017. REUTERS/Alaa Al-Marjani
Women show their ink-stained fingers during Kurds independence referendum in Sulaimaniyah, Iraq September 25, 2017. REUTERS/Alaa Al-Marjani
TT

Democratic Union Party: We will Defend Kurdistan if Attacked

Women show their ink-stained fingers during Kurds independence referendum in Sulaimaniyah, Iraq September 25, 2017. REUTERS/Alaa Al-Marjani
Women show their ink-stained fingers during Kurds independence referendum in Sulaimaniyah, Iraq September 25, 2017. REUTERS/Alaa Al-Marjani

People's Protection Units (YPG) will support the Kurdish people in Iraqi Kurdistan in the event of any aggression despite disagreements with the President of Kurdistan region Masoud Barzani, according to Chairman of Democratic Union Party (PYD).

Chairman of Democratic Federal System for Rojava - Northern Syria, Hadiya Yousef announced on its Twitter account that all crossing points on northern Iraq will be open for Kurdistan region adding that Syrian Kurd will be supportive in case the region was under attack or siege.

Both the Rojava and PYD do not agree with Barzani, however, Muslim believes that referendum is a natural right for anyone.

Several officials of PYD believe that the referendum is an escape forward policy. A field commander stated that they fear Kurds will face the same destiny as Armenian people; to win a land and lose the cause.

Muslim, however, told Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper that despite the disagreements, if Kurdish people needed help, they will offer assistance and the YPG stands with Iraqi Kurds against any aggression.

Kurdistan's referendum coincided with the elections in the Federal System for Rojava - Northern Syria.

Muslim said that the Federal System was pleased with the turnover where about 740,000 people elected.

The Democratic Union is the most prominent party at the Federal System.

US special envoy for anti-ISIS operations Brett McGurk commented on the elections saying the areas regained from ISIS will be under the control of local people who know the area until a long-term political settlement had been reached.

Informed sources reported that Iran, Russia, and Turkey had been coordinating to establish a de-escalation agreement for Afrin, north Aleppo.

A Kurdish official informed Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper that military officials from Russia, Turkey, and Iran met with regime officials in al-Bab city within the Euphrates Shield's area controlled by Turkey-backed Free Syrian Army.

The official stated that the meetings could lead to an agreement between all four parties against the Iraqi Kurds.

Turkey had rejected any direct contact with the regime in Damascus, however, it discusses Syrian matters with officials in Tehran and Moscow, Syria's allies.

Meanwhile, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is expected to discuss the Kurdish referendum and coordination against it with Russian President Vladimir Putin and Iranian President Hasan Rouhani.

Syria’s Foreign Minister Walid Muallem has rejected the independence referendum describing it as “unacceptable,” saying Damascus only recognized a unified Iraq.

“We reject any action that leads to the fragmentation of Iraq,” he said.

Syrian state news agency SANA quoted Muallem as saying on Sunday that Damascus “does not recognize anything but a unified Iraq.”

The Foreign Minister said that this step is unacceptable and is not recognized by Syrian government adding that he had discussed his government’s position with Iraq’s foreign minister.



Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
TT

Israel Permits 10,000 West Bank Palestinians for Friday Prayers at Al Aqsa

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer
Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Israel announced that it will cap the number of Palestinian worshippers from the occupied West Bank attending weekly Friday prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in east Jerusalem at 10,000 during the holy month of Ramadan, which began Wednesday.

Israeli authorities also imposed age restrictions on West Bank Palestinians, permitting entry only to men aged 55 and older, women aged 50 and older, and children up to age 12.

"Ten thousand Palestinian worshippers will be permitted to enter the Temple Mount for Friday prayers throughout the month of Ramadan, subject to obtaining a dedicated daily permit in advance," COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, said in a statement, AFP reported.

"Entry for men will be permitted from age 55, for women from age 50, and for children up to age 12 when accompanied by a first-degree relative."

COGAT told AFP that the restrictions apply only to Palestinians travelling from the West Bank, which Israel has occupied since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.

"It is emphasised that all permits are conditional upon prior security approval by the relevant security authorities," COGAT said.

"In addition, residents travelling to prayers at the Temple Mount will be required to undergo digital documentation at the crossings upon their return to the areas of Judea and Samaria at the conclusion of the prayer day," it said, using the Biblical term for the West Bank.

During Ramadan, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa, Islam's third holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed in a move that is not internationally recognized.

Since the war in Gaza broke out in October 2023, the attendance of worshippers has declined due to security concerns and Israeli restrictions.

The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said this week that Israeli authorities had prevented the Islamic Waqf -- the Jordanian-run body that administers the site -- from carrying out routine preparations ahead of Ramadan, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.

A senior imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Muhammad al-Abbasi, told AFP that he, too, had been barred from entering the compound.

"I have been barred from the mosque for a week, and the order can be renewed," he said.

Abbasi said he was not informed of the reason for the ban, which came into effect on Monday.

Under longstanding arrangements, Jews may visit the Al-Aqsa compound -- which they revere as the site of the first and second Jewish temples -- but they are not permitted to pray there.

Israel says it is committed to upholding this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.

In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far-right politician Itamar Ben Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.


EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.