Lebanese State Minister for Planning Affairs: March 14 Coalition Still Holding Strong

Lebanese State Minister for Planning Affairs Michel Pharaon (NNA)
Lebanese State Minister for Planning Affairs Michel Pharaon (NNA)
TT

Lebanese State Minister for Planning Affairs: March 14 Coalition Still Holding Strong

Lebanese State Minister for Planning Affairs Michel Pharaon (NNA)
Lebanese State Minister for Planning Affairs Michel Pharaon (NNA)

The March 14 coalition's principles are still applicable and the alliance holds strong, a reflection of the concept of a real state in all aspects, Lebanese State Minister for Planning Affairs Michel Pharaon has said.

The minister rejected the idea of bringing the parliamentary elections forward, saying a month or two will not make any difference and will block the reform process.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper, Pharaon commented on Speaker Nabih Berri's calls for holding early polls, saying early elections had been a March 14 demand since 2011.

Pharaon explained, however, that despite all the risks that led to a deal on the electoral law, no one should forget that the law with all its entities had been approved by all political forces.

The minister said that bringing the elections forward is not feasible, not to forget that a voting mechanism hasn't been reached yet and the magnetic voting cards haven't been issued.

When asked about the campaign against former Prime Minister Tammam Salam holding him responsible for the captivity of Lebanese soldiers by ISIS and al-Nusra militants in 2014, Pharaon said that Salam's situation was known to everyone.

He added that security risks and the regional situation were different back then, especially that there wasn't any Arab-regional-international decision to terminate ISIS as is the case today. 

The minister said we can't hold Salam responsible but rather salute him for many obstacles that he faced. 

However, this doesn't mean shying away from a battlefield investigation to clarify the issue especially that the matter has been put behind us and the Lebanese Army succeeded in ending the terror phenomenon in the juroud area on the Lebanese-Syrian border.

Pharaon also congratulated the Saudi people on the occasion of the Saudi National Day. He said that this occasion is also dear to the Lebanese people because the Kingdom has always supported Lebanon at difficult and critical times.

He said that the Kingdom was the among the first countries that helped reconstruct Lebanon, adding that Saudi Arabia is a pioneer in supporting Lebanon economically and financially and the Lebanese people can only be loyal to those who supported them through prosperity and adversity.

The principles of March 14 coalition are based on the concept of a democratic state and are still the same, said Pharaon when asked about efforts to re-organize the alliance. He added that even if the coalition doesn’t convene regularly, it is still there through the political practices of its members and its supporters.

Recently, the coalition objected the meeting held between one of the Lebanese ministers with Syrian officials, which Pharaon rejected by saying the coalition is loyal to its martyrs and its supporters.

In response to whether he would run for elections for the Catholic parliamentary seat in Ashrafieh, Beirut, Pharaon said the polls are a democratic process and an important aspect for residents of the district and any Lebanese area.

He added that it is the people’s right to express their aspirations and opinions on who will represent them in the parliament and it is only natural to have more than one candidate for the Catholic seat.



UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.


Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
TT

Egyptian-Turkish Military Talks Focus on Strengthening Partnership

The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)
The Commander of the Egyptian Air Force during his meeting with the Turkish Air Force chief in Cairo on Wednesday (Egyptian military spokesperson)

Senior Egyptian and Turkish air force commanders met in Cairo on Wednesday for talks focused on strengthening military partnership and expanding bilateral cooperation, in the latest sign of warming defense ties between the two countries.

The meeting brought together the Commander of the Egyptian Air Force, Lt. Gen. Amr Saqr, and his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Ziya Cemal Kadioglu, to review a range of issues of mutual interest amid growing cooperation between the two air forces.

Egypt’s military spokesperson said the talks reflect the Armed Forces’ commitment to deepening military collaboration with friendly and partner nations.

Earlier this month, Egypt and Türkiye signed a military cooperation agreement during talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and his Turkish counterpart, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Sisi highlighted similar viewpoints on regional and international issues, while Erdogan noted that enhanced cooperation and forthcoming joint steps would help support regional peace.

Cairo and Ankara also signed an agreement last August on the joint production of vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) drones. Production of unmanned ground vehicles has also begun under a partnership between the Turkish firm HAVELSAN and Egypt’s Kader Factory.

During the talks, Saqr underscored the importance of coordinating efforts to advance shared interests and expressed hope for closer ties that would benefit both air forces.

Kadioglu, for his part, stressed the depth of bilateral partnership and the strong foundations of cooperation between the two countries’ air forces.

According to the military spokesperson, Kadioglu also toured several Egyptian Air Force units to review the latest training and armament systems introduced in recent years.

Military cooperation between Egypt and Türkiye has gained momentum since 2023, following the restoration of full diplomatic relations and reciprocal presidential visits that reflected positively on the defense sector.

In September last year, the joint naval exercise “Sea of Friendship 2025” was held in Turkish territorial waters, aimed at enhancing joint capabilities and exchanging expertise against a range of threats.