Amnesty International Exposes Illicit $46m South Sudan Arms Deal

People walk along a street in Juba, South Sudan December 21, 2013. REUTERS/Goran Tomasevic/File Photo
People walk along a street in Juba, South Sudan December 21, 2013. REUTERS/Goran Tomasevic/File Photo
TT

Amnesty International Exposes Illicit $46m South Sudan Arms Deal

People walk along a street in Juba, South Sudan December 21, 2013. REUTERS/Goran Tomasevic/File Photo
People walk along a street in Juba, South Sudan December 21, 2013. REUTERS/Goran Tomasevic/File Photo

Amnesty International exposed in a recent research how a shell company in the heart of London’s West End acted as an intermediary in huge prospective arms deals to war-torn South Sudan and other countries, thanks to regulatory gaps which are making the UK a hotspot for companies involved in illicit arms transfers.

Commercial documents name S-Profit Ltd, a tiny UK-registered company, as the ‘supplier’ in a 2014 deal to provide at least US$46m worth of small arms, light weapons, and ammunition to the South Sudanese government. The report, From London to Juba: a UK-registered company’s role in one of the largest arms deals to South Sudan, also reveals that the UK government has been aware of similar practices taking place on British soil for more than eight years, without taking effective regulatory action.

“South Sudan is awash with weapons that have been used to kill and maim thousands of civilians, causing Africa’s biggest refugee crisis. The UK government has been a vocal proponent of a UN arms embargo on South Sudan, yet is turning a blind eye to illegal deals taking place right under its nose,” said James Lynch, Amnesty International’s Head of Arms Control and Human Rights.

“Glaring gaps in UK company regulation mean a dealer of illicit arms can go online and set up a UK company to front its activities with fewer checks than joining a gym or hiring a car. The UK must urgently review its company registration procedures – right now it provides the perfect conditions to become a hotspot for the kind of irresponsible arms transfers that have devastated South Sudan.”

The weapons in question form part of a previously undisclosed 2014 contract between a Ukrainian state arms company and a UAE-based company to procure US$169m of weapons on behalf of South Sudan. These include thousands of machine guns, mortars, RPGs and millions of rounds of ammunition.

If fulfilled, the total deal would constitute one of the largest publicly disclosed arms transfers to South Sudan since the outbreak of fighting in December 2013.

Amnesty International has not been able to determine whether some or all of the weapons listed in these documents have yet been delivered to South Sudan. However, a UK company may violate UK export control laws even by being involved in the negotiation of an arms deal to South Sudan. The involvement of the Ukrainian state-owned arms company and a UAE private company in weapons supplies to South Sudan also potentially contravenes the Ukraine and UAE’s obligations as signatories to the Arms Trade Treaty.

S-Profit’s director –a Ukrainian national based outside the UK – denied to Amnesty International that the firm had supplied military products to South Sudan, but has not responded to further questions, including whether it played an intermediary role.

Amnesty International affirmed that it has provided UK authorities with the documents and information it has obtained. The report also reveals that the UK government has, for more than eight years, been aware of UK shell companies being used unlawfully as contract vehicles for weapons dealers to supply arms to human rights violators and embargoed destinations including Syria, Eritrea and South Sudan. Yet, the UK has made no regulatory changes to address these gaps.

Meanwhile, South Sudanese President Salva Kiir Mayardit said he was not happy about the ongoing civil war and suffering of citizens in the country.

"I am not really happy. I can be seen to be happy but hurting inside. How can I be happy when I see my people suffering? People are starving and dying in criminal actions and battles.” Kiir said in an interview with SSBC on Friday.

“Being the leader I must put a brave face where I can be seen to be happy but I am not happy,” he added.

Kiir pointed out that the national dialogue is a hope that will reunite the people of South Sudan address grievances which were not tackled by the 2015 peace accord.

The world’s youngest nation has been embroiled in a violent conflict since 2013, when a split between President Salva Kiir and his former vice president, Riek Machar, escalated into outright civil war.

The devastating conflict has killed tens of thousands of people and displaced millions that have sought refuge in neighboring countries.



Will Trump Accept a ‘Token’ Nuclear Enrichment in Iran?

(FILES) US President Donald Trump speaks during a press conference in the Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on February 20, 2026. (Photo by Mandel NGAN / AFP)
(FILES) US President Donald Trump speaks during a press conference in the Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on February 20, 2026. (Photo by Mandel NGAN / AFP)
TT

Will Trump Accept a ‘Token’ Nuclear Enrichment in Iran?

(FILES) US President Donald Trump speaks during a press conference in the Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on February 20, 2026. (Photo by Mandel NGAN / AFP)
(FILES) US President Donald Trump speaks during a press conference in the Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on February 20, 2026. (Photo by Mandel NGAN / AFP)

The Trump administration is prepared to consider a proposal that allows Iran “token” nuclear enrichment if it leaves no possible path to a bomb, a senior US official told Axios on Saturday.

This suggests there could be an opening, if only a small one, between the red lines set by the US and Iran for a deal to constrain Iran's nuclear capabilities and prevent war, according to Axios.

The report published this week said that after the Geneva talks, US President Donald Trump's envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner asked Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi to produce a detailed proposal addressing all the US concerns regarding Iran's nuclear program.

A senior US official said Witkoff and Kushner told Araghchi that Trump's position was “zero enrichment” on Iranian soil.

But the official said that if the proposal includes “small, token enrichment,” and if the Iranians offer detailed proof that it poses no threat, the US will study it.
Another senior Trump adviser said: “Trump is keeping his options open. He could decide on an attack at any moment.”

Pezeshkian: We Will Not Bow Our Heads

Meanwhile, Iranian ⁠President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Saturday that his country would not bow its ⁠head to pressure from world powers.

“World powers are lining up to force us to bow our heads... but we will not bow our heads despite all the problems that they are creating for us,” Pezeshkian said in a speech carried live by ⁠state TV.

But a senior US official told Axios that “Trump will be ready to accept a deal that would be substantive and that he can sell politically at home. If the Iranians want to prevent an attack they should give us an offer we can't refuse. The Iranians keep missing the window. If they play games there won't be a lot of patience.”

At the same time, Trump has been presented with military options that involve directly targeting the supreme leader.

The Trump adviser said the Pentagon had presented the US President with numerous options.

“They have something for every scenario. One scenario takes out the ayatollah and his son and the mullahs,” the adviser said, referring to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei and his son Mojtaba, who is seen as a potential successor. “What the president chooses no one knows. I don't think he knows.”

A second source confirmed a plan to kill Khamenei and his son was floated to Trump several weeks ago.

Another senior Trump adviser said: “Trump is keeping his options open. He could decide on an attack at any moment.”

Zero Enrichment

In return, a senior US official said Witkoff and Kushner told Araghchi that Trump's position was “zero enrichment” on Iranian soil. But the official said that if the proposal includes “small, token enrichment,” and if the Iranians offer detailed proof that it poses no threat, the US will study it.

A source familiar with the talks told Axios that regional mediators told Iran and the US in recent days that any deal must enable both sides to claim victory and, if possible, also be something that Gulf countries can accept.

With the region bracing for war, the US official insisted that Washington would wait for Iran's proposal before deciding how to proceed, and whether there will be another round of talks.

CBS News quoted US officials as saying on Wednesday that Iran had floated the idea of pausing uranium enrichment for a specified period of time, possibly one to three years or five years, while some said this period covered the remainder of Trump's years in the White House.

For his part, Araghchi said on Friday that “Washington has not asked Tehran to permanently suspend uranium enrichment,” adding Tehran had not offered the US a temporary suspension of its uranium enrichment.

Iran's foreign minister said he expected to have a draft counterproposal ready within days following nuclear talks with the United States this ⁠week, while Trump said he was considering limited military strikes.

Two US officials told Reuters that US military planning on Iran had reached an advanced stage, with options including targeting individuals as part of an attack and even pursuing leadership change in Tehran, if ordered by Trump.

Araghchi said after indirect discussions in Geneva this week with Witkoff and Kushner that the sides had reached an understanding on main “guiding principles,” but that did not mean a deal was ⁠imminent.

The foreign minister, in an interview on MS NOW, said he had a draft counterproposal that could be ready in the next two or three days for top Iranian officials to review, with more US-Iran talks possible in a week or so.


Bayern Confirm Davies Suffered Muscle Injury Against Frankfurt

21 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies (R) sits injured on the ground during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Bayern Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena. Photo: Harry Langer/dpa
21 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies (R) sits injured on the ground during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Bayern Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena. Photo: Harry Langer/dpa
TT

Bayern Confirm Davies Suffered Muscle Injury Against Frankfurt

21 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies (R) sits injured on the ground during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Bayern Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena. Photo: Harry Langer/dpa
21 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies (R) sits injured on the ground during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Bayern Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena. Photo: Harry Langer/dpa

Bayern Munich defender Alphonso Davies suffered a muscle injury during Saturday's 3-2 win over Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena, the German club said.

Davies, who recently returned to action after a long-term knee injury, was replaced by Hiroki Ito in the 50th minute after the Canadian collapsed and required ⁠medical treatment.

"Alphonso Davies ⁠suffered a torn muscle fibre in his right hamstring in the 3-2 victory over Eintracht Frankfurt. This was confirmed by ... FC Bayern’s medical unit," ⁠the side said in a statement.

"The defender will be sidelined for the time being."

While the length of Davies' absence remains unconfirmed, manager Vincent Kompany expressed hope he would return within two to four weeks.

"It doesn't look so bad," Kompany said after the match, according to Reuters.

"I ⁠don't ⁠know if it will be two or four weeks," he told reporters. "My gut feeling is that it won't take that long."

Bayern, who are on top of the Bundesliga table with 60 points in 23 games, will face the second-placed Borussia Dortmund next Saturday. 
 


Pakistan Launches Deadly Strikes in Afghanistan

Pakistani soldiers patrol the scene where a police officer was killed in the line of duty during an attack on a polio vaccination campaign team, in Chaman, Balochistan province, Pakistan, 06 February 2026. EPA/AKHTER GULFAM
Pakistani soldiers patrol the scene where a police officer was killed in the line of duty during an attack on a polio vaccination campaign team, in Chaman, Balochistan province, Pakistan, 06 February 2026. EPA/AKHTER GULFAM
TT

Pakistan Launches Deadly Strikes in Afghanistan

Pakistani soldiers patrol the scene where a police officer was killed in the line of duty during an attack on a polio vaccination campaign team, in Chaman, Balochistan province, Pakistan, 06 February 2026. EPA/AKHTER GULFAM
Pakistani soldiers patrol the scene where a police officer was killed in the line of duty during an attack on a polio vaccination campaign team, in Chaman, Balochistan province, Pakistan, 06 February 2026. EPA/AKHTER GULFAM

Pakistan said Sunday it launched multiple air strikes targeting militants in neighboring Afghanistan, where the government reported children were among dozens of people killed and wounded.

The overnight attacks were the most extensive since border clashes in October killed more than 70 people on both sides and wounded hundreds.

Islamabad said it hit seven sites along the border region targeting Afghanistan-based militant groups "in the aftermath of recent suicide bombing incidents in Pakistan".

The military targeted the Pakistani Taliban and its associates, as well as an affiliate of ISIS, a statement by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting said.

Afghanistan's defense ministry said "dozens of innocent civilians, including women and children, were martyred and wounded" when strikes hit a madrasa and homes in Nangarhar and Paktika provinces.

An AFP journalist in Nangarhar's Bihsud district said residents from around the remote and mountainous area joined rescuers in one village, using a digger and shovels to search for bodies under the rubble.

Afghanistan's defense ministry said it will "deliver an appropriate and calculated response" to the Pakistani strikes.

The two countries have been locked in an increasingly bitter dispute since the Taliban authorities retook control of Afghanistan in 2021.

Pakistani military action killed 70 Afghan civilians between October and December, according to the UN mission in Afghanistan.