Palestinians to UK: Apology or Legal Action over Balfour Declaration

British Foreign Minister Arthur Balfour (second from left) with U.S. Secretary of State Robert Lansing (second from right) in Washington in 1917. (AP Photo)
British Foreign Minister Arthur Balfour (second from left) with U.S. Secretary of State Robert Lansing (second from right) in Washington in 1917. (AP Photo)
TT

Palestinians to UK: Apology or Legal Action over Balfour Declaration

British Foreign Minister Arthur Balfour (second from left) with U.S. Secretary of State Robert Lansing (second from right) in Washington in 1917. (AP Photo)
British Foreign Minister Arthur Balfour (second from left) with U.S. Secretary of State Robert Lansing (second from right) in Washington in 1917. (AP Photo)

Palestinian Authority Foreign Minister Riyad al-Maliki has warned that legal action would be filed against the UK if it insisted on celebrating the centennial of the Balfour Declaration.

The minister also asked London to issue an apology over the declaration.

In 1917, former British Foreign Secretary Arthur Balfour promised British Jewish community leader Lionel Walter Rothschild to establish a national home in Palestine for the Jewish people.

The declaration, which is considered the first documented legitimization of the State of Israel, said the British government would “view with favor the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people.”

Maliki stated that if London’s government doesn't apologize, Palestine would take legal action against the British authorities to restore people's rights and rectify the historic mistake. The minister did declare earlier that without an apology, the case remains unsolved.

Member of Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) Hanan Ashrawi also asked Britain to apologize and recognize the Palestinian State.

Last month, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas addressed the UN General Assembly session in New York and attacked the British government for issuing the Balfour Declaration, which is a grave injustice to the Palestinian people, asserting that in 1917, "97 percent of the inhabitants of Palestine were Palestinians."

Abbas stated that Palestine was a prosperous, progressive state, adding that the Balfour Declaration and the subsequent British mandate amounted to a "historical injustice."

"What is worse is that this November, [the British government] wants to celebrate the 100th anniversary of this crime against our people," Abbas told the General Assembly. He called upon the UK to "apologize" for the Declaration as well as "provide compensation".

A statement from the British government, however, read: “The Balfour Declaration is a historic statement for which Her Majesty’s Government (HMG) does not intend to apologize. We are proud of our role in creating the State of Israel. The task now is to encourage moves towards peace.”

A Balfour Apology Campaign had launched a petition on the British Parliament website urging the UK to “openly apologize to the Palestinian people for issuing the Balfour Declaration”.

Palestinians are also preparing to celebrate this occasion with protests, marches, and events that assert their right to Palestine as their country.

Palestinian factions also called for a wider popular mobilization. Several events are expected to be announced at the beginning of November and will last the whole month in the Palestinian territories and diaspora.



Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
TT

Germany Moves Troops Out of Iraq, Citing Mideast 'Tensions'

FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski
FILE PHOTO: German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen visits the Transport Helicopter Regiment 30 (Transporthubschrauberregiment 30) at the Hermann-Koehl-Kaserne in Niederstetten, Germany, August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Ralph Orlowski

Germany's military has "temporarily" moved some troops out of Erbil in northern Iraq because of "escalating tensions in the Middle East," a German defense ministry spokesman told AFP on Thursday.

Dozens of German soldiers had been relocated away from the base in Erbil, capital of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region.

"Only the personnel necessary to maintain the operational capability of the camp in Erbil remain on site," the spokesman said.

The spokesman did not specify the source of the tensions, but US President Donald Trump has ordered a major build-up of US warships, aircraft and other weaponry in the region and threatened action against Iran.

German troops are deployed to Erbil as part of an international mission to train local Iraqi forces.

The spokesman said the German redeployment away from Erbil was "closely coordinated with our multinational partners".


UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
TT

UN: At Least 15 Children Killed in Sudan Drone Strike

The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)
The war in Sudan, ongoing since mid-April 2023, has caused extensive destruction across the country (AFP)

A drone strike on a displacement camp in Sudan killed at least 15 children earlier this week, the United Nations reported late on Wednesday.

"On Monday 16 February, at least 15 children were reportedly killed and 10 wounded after a drone strike on a displacement camp in Al Sunut, West Kordofan," the UN children's agency said in a statement.

Across the Kordofan region, currently the Sudan war's fiercest battlefield, "we are seeing the same disturbing patterns from Darfur -- children killed, injured, displaced and cut off from the services they need to survive," UNICEF's Executive Director Catherine Russell said.


MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
TT

MSF Will Keep Operating in Gaza 'as Long as We Can'

(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)
(FILES) A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on new year's Eve, December 31, 2025. (Photo by Omar AL-QATTAA / AFP)

The head of Doctors Without Borders in the Palestinian territories told AFP the charity would continue working in Gaza for as long as possible, following an Israeli decision to end its activities there.

In early February, Israel announced it was terminating all the activities in Gaza by the medical charity, known by its French acronym MSF, after it failed to provide a list of its Palestinian staff.

MSF has slammed the move, which takes effect on March 1, as a "pretext" to obstruct aid.

"For the time being, we are still working in Gaza, and we plan to keep running our operations as long as we can," Filipe Ribeiro told AFP in Amman, but said operations were already facing challenges.

"Since the beginning of January, we are not anymore in the capacity to get international staff inside Gaza. The Israeli authorities actually denied any entry to Gaza, but also to the West Bank," he said.

Ribeiro added that MSF's ability to bring medical supplies into Gaza had also been impacted.

"They're not allowed for now, but we have some stocks in our pharmacies that will allow us to keep running operations for the time being," he said.

"We do have teams in Gaza that are still working, both national and international, and we have stocks."

In December, Israel announced it would prevent 37 aid organizations, including MSF, from working in Gaza from March 1 for failing to submit detailed information about their Palestinian employees, drawing widespread condemnation from NGOs and the United Nations.

It had alleged that two MSF employees had links with Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which the medical charity has repeatedly and vehemently denied.

MSF says it did not provide the names of its Palestinian staff because Israeli authorities offered no assurances regarding their safety.

Ribeiro warned of the massive impact the termination of MSF's operations would have for healthcare in war-shattered Gaza.

"MSF is one of the biggest actors when it comes to the health provision in Gaza and the West Bank, and if we are obliged to leave, then we will create a huge void in Gaza," he said.

The charity says it currently provides at least 20 percent of hospital beds in the territory and operates around 20 health centers.

In 2025 alone, it carried out more than 800,000 medical consultations, treated more than 100,000 trauma cases and assisted more than 10,000 infant deliveries.