Everton Need to Rebalance Quickly as Time Runs out for David Unsworth

Everton caretaker manager David Unsworth. (Reuters)
Everton caretaker manager David Unsworth. (Reuters)
TT

Everton Need to Rebalance Quickly as Time Runs out for David Unsworth

Everton caretaker manager David Unsworth. (Reuters)
Everton caretaker manager David Unsworth. (Reuters)

L’Équipe’s headline on Thursday morning read “Un air de KO” and that’s what came to pass for Everton on a night in Lyon where there had been an air of inevitability if not resignation in the buildup, the team’s third match under the caretaker management of David Unsworth and ultimately their third defeat.

Lyon, as Chelsea and Leicester had before them, had too much for a side with barely a goal threat and though again there were promising signs from a side heavy on youth and in which Ademola Lookman put in a fine performance, on the left wing and then right, there was a familiarity about the way Everton imploded soon after they conceded.

As auditions for the top job go Unsworth could hardly have been handed a tougher run of games, the previous two Premier League champions away from home and now the fourth-placed finisher in France who reached last season’s Europa League semi-finals.

He probably has only Sunday’s home game against Watford to press his claim for the manager’s job now but with interviews reportedly taking place this week, and names as diverse as Sean Dyche, Guus Hiddink and, more alarmingly for many, Sam Allardyce in the frame, it is likely he will soon be back in his role with the under-21s. Unsworth has been here before and should bounce back, though his previous dabble as caretaker in 2016 at the end of the Roberto Martínez era saw him pick four of his boys and oversee a 3-0 win against Norwich City with some guidance from Joe Royle.

That theme persisted in Lyon, with Jonjoe Kenny and Beni Baningime named as starters and Morgan Feeney, an 18-year-old center-back and season-ticket holder, on the bench as the seriously unbalanced squad constructed by the director of football, Steve Walsh, and the now sacked Ronald Koeman stuck to a gameplan and created a couple of decent chances until the now familiar implosion.

Everton’s previous with caretakers is not the best, Steve Burtenshaw scraping together two draws from four games in the spell between Billy Bingham and Gordon Lee in 1977, Jimmy Gabriel, who had one win from one in 1991, picking up a single point from 21 in the period between Howard Kendall II and Mike Walker in 1993-94, and Dave Watson accruing six points from 21 when he filled the role between Royle and Kendall III in 1997.

Watford on Sunday is the final game before the international break and thankfully for Unsworth it is at home. With the team in the bottom three a win is imperative, even if the caretaker all but accepts that his chances of the top job are slim at best, his stats joining the others on a largely forgotten page on the club’s website.

“Sunday is a huge game for me, a huge game for the club, and I’ve left the players in no uncertain terms it’s a huge one for them as well,” he said after the 3-0 loss at Lyon in which he fielded a false No9 in Gylfi Sigurdsson, saw his team stay in the game for 68 minutes and then watched them fold after an unlucky ricochet set up the opener. “I’m sure they will respond and I’m sure the Goodison faithful will get behind us all … we need three points on Sunday. I have told them what I’ve seen and how I think we can move forward, and what I think is required. I think [what I said] is best left in the dressing room.

“Sunday is a cup final for me, I’ll be doing everything I can to make sure everybody is prepared. I’ll pick a team to win against a decent Watford team. We just can’t cave in when we concede; that’s something we need to rectify very, very quickly.”

To that end he should have the services of the 30-something former England trio of Leighton Baines, Phil Jagielka and Wayne Rooney to call upon after leaving them behind for the game that confirmed their departure from the Europa League. Oumar Niasse is also available after thoughtlessly being omitted from the Uefa list by Koeman.

Getting out of the bottom three is the bigger issue and for a club who used to pride themselves on standing by their managers two have been sacked, at great expense, in less than two seasons as the majority shareholder, Farhad Moshiri, looks for the winning formula. A lot of his thought and business planning, if not yet that much of his money, has been invested in Everton’s future, with a site secured for a £300m new stadium at Bramley Moor dock and the deal facilitated by a council-backed loan repayable over 40 years.

Relegation does not feature in the thinking as the loan has to be repaid regardless of league status, with monies from parachute payments, transfer fees and regular income being due to the council in the event that the club start to default. Forty years is a long time to guarantee Premier League football – even for a team who have spent only three seasons outside the top flight since their inception – as is the wait until January, when the new manager will have to sign the striker that Koeman and Walsh so recklessly chose to do without when selling Romelu Lukaku for an initial £75m in the summer.

The Guardian Sport



Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.


Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.