Lebanese Forces, Future Movement's Relations Aggravated

LF chief Samir Geagea visits Former PM Saad Hariri in Jeddah, Monday, July 20, 2015. (The Daily Star/ NNA, HO)
LF chief Samir Geagea visits Former PM Saad Hariri in Jeddah, Monday, July 20, 2015. (The Daily Star/ NNA, HO)
TT

Lebanese Forces, Future Movement's Relations Aggravated

LF chief Samir Geagea visits Former PM Saad Hariri in Jeddah, Monday, July 20, 2015. (The Daily Star/ NNA, HO)
LF chief Samir Geagea visits Former PM Saad Hariri in Jeddah, Monday, July 20, 2015. (The Daily Star/ NNA, HO)

The current conflict between Future Movement and Lebanese Forces (LF) intensified after a period of "give and take" through back channels and unnamed sources.

The relationship deteriorated after Prime Minister Saad Hariri announced his resignation and accusations followed stating that Lebanese Forces didn't support him.

What contributed to the growing controversy was Hariri's announcement earlier this week that some political parties wanted to secure their place during this crisis by "backstabbing" allies.

Hariri threatened "to call things by their names" and "spill the beans" during a television interview before retreating and postponing the interview.

But what Hariri did not say was said by the Secretary-General of Future Movement, Ahmed Hariri, who raised several questions about the government's performance.

"We need answers," said Ahmed Hariri. His statement was not well received among the Lebanese Forces which reflected in a debate between officials and leaders in both parties and between supporters on social networks.

Lebanese Forces MP, Antoine Zahra, stressed that the statements of Ahmed Hariri are completely unacceptable, pointing out that it is shameful to direct remarks or even questions about the performance of the Forces.

"We do not owe anyone an explanation or apology, and we are only responsible before the Lebanese people," Zahra told Asharq al-Awsat.

MP Zahra said there was a national and official consensus on the outstanding and transparent performance of LF ministers, which enables them to question and not be questioned.

"Should we explain our commitment to the constitution and regulations?" wondered Zahra.

When asked whether everything is broken between LF and Future, Zahra replied: "This issue is up to Prime Minister Hariri and no one else, since we rely on what he personally says."

He went on to say that Lebanese Forces and Future Movement have agreed on one project in politics since before the assassination of Prime Minister Rafiq Hariri, and therefore any continuity in their political companionship will be determined upon Hariri's adherence to national principles.

A number of Future MPs preferred to wait to comment on the matter, stressing that the final word should be left to Prime Minister Hariri.

A source in the Future Movement told Asharq Al-Awsat that surely things are getting more difficult, but PM Hariri will have the last say in this.

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Health Ghassan Hasbani stressed that Lebanese Forces has no idea what Hariri was planning to uncover, adding: "we are relying on political rationality to reach stability."

Speaking during a radio interview, Minister Hasbani stated that some were trying to create a rift, indicating that it is within the right of Lebanese Forces to question the reason behind this attack on it.

"We want to know what is the purpose of the attack [on Lebanese Forces]? Is it to divert attention away from dissociation policy?" Hasbani inquired.

Head of LF communications and media department Charles Jabbour described Ahmed Hariri's statements as "unacceptable at all".

"As far as I know, Samir Geagea did not request an appointment to meet with Hariri, and who said Geagea wanted to meet with PM Hariri?" questioned Jabbour.

Responding to Jabbour, Future Movement Media Official Abdulsalam Moussa said in a statement that Jabbour seems to have read Ahmed Hariri's statement in reverse and didn't see any positivity.

Moussa added that if Jabbour was provoked by Sec-Gen Hariri's request to clarify the previous stage, this doesn't consider previous calls for rationing the relations if they need any.

"In any case, we will consider as if Mr. Jabbour's reaction didn't happen because the relationship with LF is much deeper to be dealt with by such rhetoric," concluded Moussa.



Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Palestinian Child Dies After Stepping on Mine in West Bank

Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
Israeli troops conduct a military raid in the village of Al-Yamoun, west of Jenin, West Bank, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

A Palestinian child died after stepping on a mine near an Israeli military camp in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, the Palestinian Red Crescent said, with an Israeli defense ministry source confirming the death.

"Our crews received the body of a 13-year-old child who was killed after a mine exploded in one of the old camps in Jiftlik in the northern Jordan Valley," the Red Crescent said in a statement.

A source at COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry's agency in charge of civilian matters in the Palestinian territories, confirmed the death to AFP and identified the boy as Mohammed Abu Dalah, from the village of Jiftlik.

Israel's military had previously said in a statement that three Palestinians were injured "as a result of playing with unexploded ordnance", without specifying their ages.

It added that the area of the incident, Tirzah, is "a military camp in the area of the Jordan Valley", near Jiftlik and close to the Jordanian border.

"This area is a live-fire zone and entry into it is prohibited," the military said.

Jiftlik village council head Ahmad Ghawanmeh told AFP that three children, the oldest of whom was 16, were collecting herbs near the military base when they detonated a mine.

Jiftlik as well as the nearby Tirzah base are located in the Palestinian territory's Area C, which falls under direct Israeli control.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967.

Much of the area near the border with Jordan -- which Israel signed a peace deal with in 1994 -- remains mined.

In January, Israel's defense ministry said it had begun demining the border area as part of construction works for a new barrier it says aims to stem weapons smuggling.


Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
TT

Hezbollah Rejects Disarmament Plan and Government’s Four-Month Timeline

29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)
29 July 2024, Iran, Tehran: Then Hezbollah deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem is pictured during a meeting in Tehran. (Iranian Presidency/dpa)

Hezbollah rejected on Tuesday the Lebanese government's decision to grant the army at least four months to advance the second phase of a nationwide disarmament plan, saying it would not accept what it sees as a move serving Israel.

Lebanon's cabinet tasked the army in August 2025 with drawing up and beginning to implement a plan to bring all armed groups' weapons under state control, a bid aimed primarily at disarming Hezbollah after its devastating ‌war with ‌Israel in 2024.

In September 2025 the cabinet formally ‌welcomed ⁠the army's plan to ⁠disarm the Iran-backed Shiite party, although it did not set a clear timeframe and cautioned that the military's limited capabilities and ongoing Israeli strikes could hinder progress.

Hezbollah Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said in a speech on Monday that "what the Lebanese government is doing by focusing on disarmament is a major mistake because this issue serves the goals of Israeli ⁠aggression".

Lebanon's Information Minister Paul Morcos said during a press ‌conference late on Monday after ‌a cabinet meeting that the government had taken note of the army's monthly ‌report on its arms control plan that includes restricting weapons in ‌areas north of the Litani River up to the Awali River in Sidon, and granted it four months.

"The required time frame is four months, renewable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and field obstacles,” he said.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan ‌Fadlallah said, "we cannot be lenient," signaling the group's rejection of the timeline and the broader approach to ⁠the issue of ⁠its weapons.

Hezbollah has rejected the disarmament effort as a misstep while Israel continues to target Lebanon, and Shiite ministers walked out of the cabinet session in protest.

Israel has said Hezbollah's disarmament is a security priority, arguing that the group's weapons outside Lebanese state control pose a direct threat to its security.

Israeli officials say any disarmament plan must be fully and effectively implemented, especially in areas close to the border, and that continued Hezbollah military activity constitutes a violation of relevant international resolutions.

Israel has also said it will continue what it describes as action to prevent the entrenchment or arming of hostile actors in Lebanon until cross-border threats are eliminated.