Former Football Star Weah Elected Liberia President

Supporters of George Weah, former football player and presidential candidate, celebrate after the announcement of the elections results in Monrovia, Liberia. (Reuters)
Supporters of George Weah, former football player and presidential candidate, celebrate after the announcement of the elections results in Monrovia, Liberia. (Reuters)
TT

Former Football Star Weah Elected Liberia President

Supporters of George Weah, former football player and presidential candidate, celebrate after the announcement of the elections results in Monrovia, Liberia. (Reuters)
Supporters of George Weah, former football player and presidential candidate, celebrate after the announcement of the elections results in Monrovia, Liberia. (Reuters)

George Weah, the former FIFA World Player of Year, won an emphatic victory in Liberia’s presidential elections amid jubilant celebrations among his supporters.

He now faces the daunting task of delivering tangible benefits to his expectant supporters in the face of a gutted economy and waning donor support.

He was met by hundreds of screaming supporters on his arrival at his party headquarters on Friday. Many have waited over a decade -- since his failed bid for the presidency in 2005 -- to see a man they consider their own come to power.

Those supporters come with high expectations that the former football star may have to carefully temper if he is to hold onto his widespread support, particularly among the West African country’s disaffected youth.

“People are expecting too much of him, but we know he will do us proud,” said Diane Fbarh, a 24-year-old accounting student as she waited for Weah to appear at his party headquarters on Friday. “I don’t think he will let us down.”

Weah, who grew up kicking a raggedy football ball on the dusty streets of the capital Monrovia’s Clara Town slum and later played for top European clubs, successfully tapped into dissatisfaction with Ellen Johnson Sirleaf’s 12-year presidency.

Johnson Sirleaf won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2011 for helping cement peace after civil wars from 1989-2003 but has been criticized over persistent poverty and corruption scandals.

The challenge of lending substance to vague campaign promises is steep in a country that ranks 177th out of 188 on the UN Human Development Index.

Chronic problems with electricity delivery leave most of the country without power and even downtown Monrovia is frequently in the dark. Much of rural Liberia is effectively cut off from the capital when summer rains flood the pitted dirt roads.

Hit hard by a 2014-16 Ebola outbreak that killed thousands, low prices for chief exports iron ore and rubber and declining foreign aid, Liberia’s economy has sputtered and relies on overseas remittances for more than a quarter of GDP.

The economy contracted last year and the International Monetary Fund last month revised down its GDP growth forecasts for 2017 and 2018 due to sluggish commodity prices and the drawdown of the country’s UN peacekeeping mission.

Johnson Sirleaf’s administration was also dogged by several corruption scandals. She suspended her son and 45 other government officials in 2012 for failing to declare their assets to anti-corruption authorities and faced accusations of nepotism. She denied those charges.

Weah, 51, has vowed to form a “government of inclusion” in a country still riven by divisions based on ethnicity, class and political affiliation, but opponents have criticized his lack of political experience and education.

“It boils down to the team he puts together. He needs people with integrity and skill to implement change,” said political analyst Robtel Neajai Pailey.

“He needs to focus on two or three things. He can’t do it all -- that would be impossible,” Pailey said.

Vice President Joseph Boakai conceded defeat to Weah on Friday, urging his supporters to rally behind the president-elect. But Boakai’s supporters remained skeptical.

“It is a bad thing that Weah was elected,” said Victor Smith, an IT consultant “He lacks the experience. He never gave a platform. He doesn’t have the skills to be a leader.”

Besides a tweet he sent out after results were announced on Thursday, Weah has yet to address the public. His press team says he has been busy taking congratulatory calls from world leaders.

On the domestic front, the hard work will begin soon.

On Thursday, Johnson Sirleaf announced plans to immediately form a joint presidential transition team to coordinate the transfer of power and ensure Weah receives regular national security briefings.

Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari George Weah on his election, commending the Liberian people "on the peaceful conduct of the historic presidential runoff election. "

He called Tuesday's vote "another plus on Africa's democratic scoreboard."

Buhari said Nigeria is ready to work with Liberia on issues of mutual interest and called Weah's victory "an affirmation of the will of the Liberian people to remain united, peaceful and prosperous."

French President Emmanuel Macron called Weah to congratulate him and invite him to visit. The French presidency said in a statement that Weah accepted the invitation.

Macron said the former football star still has "a special place in the French's hearts."

Weah played with AS Monaco and Paris Saint-Germain, among others.



Türkiye Pleased with Alignment Steps by Syria, Kurdish Forces, Erdogan Says

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
TT

Türkiye Pleased with Alignment Steps by Syria, Kurdish Forces, Erdogan Says

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said he is pleased to see steps taken in neighbouring Syria to integrate the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) into state structures, after a US-backed ceasefire deal late last month between the sides.

In a readout on Wednesday of his comments to reporters on a return flight from Ethiopia, Erdogan was cited as saying Ankara is closely monitoring the Syrian integration steps and providing guidance on implementing the agreement.

Meanwhile, a Turkish parliamentary commission voted overwhelmingly on Wednesday to approve a report envisaging legal reforms alongside the militant Kurdistan Workers Party's (PKK) disarmament, advancing a peace process meant to end decades of conflict.

The PKK - designated a terrorist organization by Türkiye, the United States and European Union - halted attacks last year and said it would disarm and disband, calling on Ankara to take steps to let its members participate in politics.

The roughly 60-page report proposes a roadmap for the parliament to enact laws, including a conditional legal framework that urges the judiciary to review legislation and comply with European Court of Human Rights and Constitutional Court rulings.

The pro-Kurdish DEM Party, which has been closely involved in the process and held several meetings with PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan in prison, objected to the report's presentation of the Kurdish issue as a terrorism problem but generally welcomed the report and called for rapid implementation.

“We believe legal regulations must be enacted quickly,” senior DEM lawmaker Gulistan Kilic Kocyigit told Reuters. Parts of the report offered “a very important roadmap for the advancement of this process," she said.

Erdogan signaled that the legislative process would begin straight away. “Now, discussions will begin in our parliament regarding the legal aspects of the process,” he said.


Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.