Iran: Protests Complete First Week, Death Toll Reaches 25

Opponents of Iranian President Hassan Rouhani hold a protest outside the Iranian embassy in west London, Britain December 31, 2017. REUTERS/Eddie Keogh
Opponents of Iranian President Hassan Rouhani hold a protest outside the Iranian embassy in west London, Britain December 31, 2017. REUTERS/Eddie Keogh
TT

Iran: Protests Complete First Week, Death Toll Reaches 25

Opponents of Iranian President Hassan Rouhani hold a protest outside the Iranian embassy in west London, Britain December 31, 2017. REUTERS/Eddie Keogh
Opponents of Iranian President Hassan Rouhani hold a protest outside the Iranian embassy in west London, Britain December 31, 2017. REUTERS/Eddie Keogh

Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps Chief Maj-Gen Mohammed Ali Jaafari accused sites of a former official of inciting the latest protests in the country and announced the 2017 sedition defeated, as the protests in several cities entered their second week and the death toll reached 25.

Media outlets loyal to President Hasan Rouhani reported that the situation in Tehran and Isfahan is relatively calm amid intensified security measures. However, several videos circulated on social media showed the situation was not contained yet. According to reports, 90 cities participate in the protests with the death toll reaching 25, while official reports stated it was 22.

Jafari accused enemies and a former official of being behind the protests, in a comment analysts believe referred to former President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. He said "security preparedness and people's vigilance" had led to the defeat of "enemies" and the Guard only intervened in a "limited" way in three provinces.

He claimed there was a maximum of 1,500 people in each place and the number of troublemakers did not exceed 15,000 people nationwide.

However, Amadnews website accused the Revolutionary Guard of attacking protesters in the city of Khomeyni Shahr on Tuesday.

Maj-Gen Jafari announced: "Today, we can say that this is the end of the 96 "sedition," referring to the current 1396 Hijri year. Since 2009, the Iranian government had been describing the protests as “sedition” when widespread demonstrations swept the country for eight months.

Speaking to economic newspaper “Jahane Sanat, Iranian government spokesman Mohammad Reza Nobakht admitted that Iranian government spends on war in Syria, Iraq and Yemen. Last June, Lebanese Hezbollah Sec-Gen Hasan Nasrallah announced that Iran sends money and weapons to Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Kerman Governor General Alireza Razm-Hosseini stated that the secret services arrested a number of protesters believed to have relations with sites that led or called for protests.

Khomeyni Shahr representative said that at least one protester had been killed on Tuesday, while “Khaneh Mellat”, the Islamic Consultative Assembly News Agency, reported Mohammed Jawad Abtahi saying during the illegal protests, a person died after sustaining injuries.

Iranian Minister of Communications and Information Technology Mohammad Javad Azari Jahromi announced that Telegram will be unblocked once some opposing accounts had been deleted. He added that the block on social media is temporary.

Expert on Iranian affairs and researcher Hasan Hashemian told Asharq al-Awsat that the protests reveal several major issues. The first refers to Hasan Rouhani’s vision of dealing with the protest which conflicts with the Revolutionary Guard’s vision of direct confrontation. However, Rouhani wants to deal with the issue through ministries and security forces.

The second issue Hashemian discussed was the Iranian regime’s failure to pin the blame on foreign intervention or extremists groups. He added that the regime asked the protesters to leave the streets and end their demonstrations calmly, however it doesn’t offer any solutions or economic policies to end the crisis.

Hashemian concluded by saying that despite all pressures, protesters succeeded in shedding light on their internal problems and sending out a message stating that they don’t care for the issues in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, or Yemen. By this, Hashemian indicated, they managed to gain the sympathy of the international community and countries like US and Canada.

The researcher believes that if the protesters had access to the internet away from the surveillance of the Guard in the upcoming days, people would have witnessed the “beginning of the end” of the current regime.



Poland Bars Chinese-Made Cars from Military Sites Over Data Security Fears 

A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Poland Bars Chinese-Made Cars from Military Sites Over Data Security Fears 

A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)

Poland has barred Chinese-made vehicles from entering military facilities due to concerns their onboard sensors could be used to collect sensitive data, the Polish Army said on Tuesday evening.

The army said in ‌a statement ‌that such vehicles ‌may ⁠still be allowed onto ⁠secured sites if specified functions are disabled and other safeguards required under each facility's security rules are in place.

To ⁠limit the risk ‌of ‌exposing confidential information, the military has ‌also banned connecting company ‌phones to infotainment systems in vehicles manufactured in China.

The restrictions do not apply ‌to publicly accessible military locations such as hospitals, ⁠clinics, ⁠libraries, prosecutors' offices or garrison clubs, the army said.

It added that the measures are precautionary and align with practices used by NATO members and other allies to ensure high standards of protection for defense infrastructure.


Starmer, Trump discussed Russia-Ukraine, Iran after Geneva Talks, Downing Street Says 

US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)
TT

Starmer, Trump discussed Russia-Ukraine, Iran after Geneva Talks, Downing Street Says 

US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)

British ‌Prime Minister Keir Starmer spoke to US President Donald Trump on Tuesday night about US-mediated Russia-Ukraine peace talks in Geneva, as well as talks between the US and Iran on ‌their nuclear ‌dispute, a Downing Street ‌spokesperson ⁠said.

Starmer also discussed ⁠Gaza with Trump and stressed on the importance of securing further access for humanitarian aid, the spokesperson said.

Negotiators ⁠from Ukraine and ‌Russia ‌concluded the first of two days ‌of the US-mediated ‌peace talks in Geneva on Tuesday, with Trump pressing Kyiv to act fast ‌to reach a deal.

Separately, Iranian Foreign Minister ⁠Abbas ⁠Araqchi said Tehran and Washington reached an understanding on Tuesday on "guiding principles" aimed at resolving their longstanding nuclear dispute, but that did not mean a deal is imminent.


Japan PM Takaichi Reappointed Following Election

Sanae Takaichi gestures at the Lower House of the Parliament in Tokyo, Japan, 18 February 2026. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON
Sanae Takaichi gestures at the Lower House of the Parliament in Tokyo, Japan, 18 February 2026. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON
TT

Japan PM Takaichi Reappointed Following Election

Sanae Takaichi gestures at the Lower House of the Parliament in Tokyo, Japan, 18 February 2026. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON
Sanae Takaichi gestures at the Lower House of the Parliament in Tokyo, Japan, 18 February 2026. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON

Japan's lower house formally reappointed Sanae Takaichi as prime minister on Wednesday, 10 days after her historic landslide election victory.

Takaichi, 64, became Japan's first woman premier in October and won a two-thirds majority for her party in the snap lower house elections on February 8.

She has pledged to bolster Japan's defenses to protect its territory and waters, likely further straining relations with Beijing, and to boost the flagging economy.

Takaichi suggested in November that Japan could intervene militarily if Beijing sought to take Taiwan by force.

China, which regards the democratic island as part of its territory and has not ruled out force to annex it, was furious.

Beijing's top diplomat Wang Yi told the Munich Security Conference on Saturday that forces in Japan were seeking to "revive militarism".

In a policy speech expected for Friday, Takaichi will pledge to update Japan's "Free and Open Indo-Pacific" strategic framework, local media reported.

"Compared with when FOIP was first proposed, the international situation and security environment surrounding Japan have become significantly more severe," chief government spokesman Minoru Kihara said Monday.

In practice this will likely mean strengthening supply chains and promoting free trade through the Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) that Britain joined in 2024.

Takaichi's government also plans to pass legislation to establish a National Intelligence Agency and to begin concrete discussions towards an anti-espionage law, the reports said.

Takaichi has promised too to tighten rules surrounding immigration, even though Asia's number two economy is struggling with labor shortages and a falling population.

On Friday Takaichi will repeat her campaign pledge to suspend consumption tax on food for two years in order to ease inflationary pressures on households, local media said, according to AFP.

This promise has exacerbated market worries about Japan's colossal debt, with yields on long-dated government bonds hitting record highs last month.

Rahul Anand, the International Monetary Fund chief of mission in Japan, said Wednesday that debt interest payments would double between 2025 and 2031.

"Removing the consumption tax (on food) would weaken the tax revenue base, since the consumption tax is an important way to raise revenues without creating distortions in the economy," Anand said.

To ease such concerns, Takaichi will on Friday repeat her mantra of having a "responsible, proactive" fiscal policy and set a target on reducing government debt, the reports said.

She will also announce the creation of a cross-party "national council" to discuss taxation and how to fund ageing Japan's ballooning social security bill.

But Takaichi's first order of business will be obtaining approval for Japan's budget for the fiscal year beginning on April 1 after the process was delayed by the election.

The ruling coalition also wants to pass legislation that will outlaw destroying the Japanese flag, according to the media reports.

It wants too to accelerate debate on changing the constitution and on revising the imperial family's rules to ease a looming succession crisis.

Takaichi and many within her Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) oppose making it possible for a woman to become emperor, but rules could be changed to "adopt" new male members.