Leroy Sané: Pep Told Me to Play Like Messi – with Freedom

Leroy Sané celebrates after scoring for Manchester City against Liverpool in September. (AFP)
Leroy Sané celebrates after scoring for Manchester City against Liverpool in September. (AFP)
TT

Leroy Sané: Pep Told Me to Play Like Messi – with Freedom

Leroy Sané celebrates after scoring for Manchester City against Liverpool in September. (AFP)
Leroy Sané celebrates after scoring for Manchester City against Liverpool in September. (AFP)

Leroy Sané’s welcoming demeanor suggests a young footballer enjoying his stellar rise at Manchester City. There is an intelligence in his eyes and a willingness to discuss anything – including Alexis Sánchez’s possible arrival this month – as he relaxes in a chair at the club’s training complex.

Sánchez’s regular berth is on the left of attack, the area from which Sané terrorizes defenses. Yet there is no concern should the Arsenal forward, the subject of a £20m bid, join City during the transfer window and threaten Sané’s place in the starting XI.

“No, it doesn’t worry me personally,” the German says. “He’s a very good player. If he comes to us – I don’t know it will happen – he can help us. No player would say: ‘Oh I hope he doesn’t come.’ Every one of us is playing really well right now and everyone has confidence. But there are so many games – so everyone is going to get games.

“If you don’t get challenged, then you can’t find out how good you are. Even if he is better, you can look up to him, learn and try to improve with him. That makes you a better player. Even if someone like that comes in and is in front of you – if he plays more – the target is to get in front of him in the first XI. So it makes you work harder.”

Liverpool gave Manchester City their first defeat of the season on Sunday, with Sané scoring one of his side’s three goals. In September’s reverse fixture he produced one of his finest displays since joining from Schalke for £37m in the summer of 2016.

After 57 minutes he replaced Gabriel Jesus. City were 3-0 ahead, Sadio Mané had been sent off for the visitors, and Sané was ruthless in killing off Liverpool, scoring twice to complete a 5-0 win. He says: “I try, like always, to help the team, and to score two goals was very good for the team and for me too.”

Jürgen Klopp is a long-time admirer of Sané. He had hoped to sign his countryman for Liverpool. “Yes, I was also talking with them,” says Sané, who made his senior debut for Schalke in April 2014. “Jürgen was calling me too, talking to me. That was before I joined City. He did a good job at [Borussia] Dortmund – I met him when he was there. He’s a good guy, nice guy – honest. He [has] worked well with Liverpool.”

Klopp, who managed Dortmund from 2008 to 2015, wanted Sané to join the German club too. “Yes, there was a time when I was still in the academy that I could have gone there from Schalke but there was no thoughts at all to move to a rival,” he says. “I have no regrets at all. I’m very happy here. I have a lot of friends here, Raheem Sterling, John Stones, Kyle Walker. I really like it – everyone is a really good person, we have fun, a laugh.”

City are flying in all four competitions. They are 90 minutes away from the Carabao Cup final at Wembley as they take a 2-1 lead to Bristol City for next week’s semi-final second leg. There is an FA Cup fourth-round date at the winner of the Cardiff City-Mansfield Town replay. And next month the Champions League challenge is resumed with a last-16 tie against Basel.

Sané, who has nine Germany caps, can look forward to an exciting summer at international level too, when Joachim Löw’s team defend the World Cup in Russia. His eyes sparkle when the notion of a clean sweep with club and country is put to him. “I think I’d retire – at 22,” he says and laughs. “One season and four titles with City and then the World Cup – that would be enough. If it happened, it would be an amazing year, but I don’t think it will happen. I hope but I don’t think so.”

Sané’s haul of 10 goals means he has surpassed last term’s tally. He is City’s fastest player and the sight of him burning away from defenders is a joy of watching this Guardiola team. What fascinates most is how good Sané may become. He is a first choice but City’s manager speaks of how much Sané can improve.

He agrees. “No player at the beginning of his career knows how good he can be,” he says. “It’s exciting and for me it’s a challenge to see how good I can be, how I can get to the best level. It’s really nice to see how it will go.”

Guardiola is harnessing his talent, making Sané a far finer footballer than on arrival. It is a feat the manager has achieved with virtually all of his squad and a key to why City are so dominant.

Sané says: “He improves me a lot since day one that I was here. My complete game – how I play, how I have to move, in the space, when I don’t have the ball, when I have the ball. It’s quite impressive how he can help you to improve – it’s very good for the player and for the team.

“I played against his Bayern Munich and I could see how they could play. It was amazing; it was not so comfortable to play against them.”

Sané struggled initially after joining City until a discussion with Guardiola. “I needed a little time to settle, to know the Premier League, the people here, how they are and to know the players. I had to find my confidence. Pep told me to play with freedom like [Lionel] Messi, not like Messi – it’s impossible,” says Sané, laughing again. “Be free like Messi, have fun, do things like he wants from a striker like the end of the space [near goal] – take the option to shoot or give an assist.”

Sané mentions “fun” more than once, and it is refreshing to hear an elite player talk of reveling in his high-pressure existence. “Of course I enjoy it,” he says. “Sometimes you’re so focused that you don’t even think about it. But you get confidence if you play well. When there’s a goal you’re happy, you celebrate. And through these things you feel much more like you’re having fun and so try to do more things, maybe score or make an assist – you feel the fun.”

Sané’s sporting parents have been crucial to his mental approach. Souleymane, his father, played for Wattenscheid in the Bundesliga and for Senegal. Regina, his mother, was a gymnastics bronze medalist at the 1984 Olympics for West Germany.

“They helped me a lot – they know the different sides of sport,” he says. “They could help me with different issues, special issues which they see similar [to their own experience] and could give me an example. It helped me to solve problems.”

But there is nothing troubling Sané and City at the moment. Instead, there is a buzz around the club. “We feel we can win some trophies so it feels special,” he says. “That’s why it’s special when you come to training. The games come around and you want to work hard, win the games. We’ve had a very good season so far. Many things can still happen and we won’t relax at all. To relax in the Premier League is not good.”

While taking nothing for granted Sané would love to help City claim the title and then retain it, a feat only United and Chelsea have achieved in the Premier League era.

“We always say we want to keep going on – we want to go as far as we can,” he says. “The final of the Carabao Cup, the final of the FA Cup, the Premier League; we want to go through and also to be in Kiev for the Champions League final.

“It’s a dream for everyone. That’s why we are all working so hard. It’s very good for the team – everyone wants to win titles and improve.”

The Guardian Sport



French Open Boss: Prize Money Will Not Change Despite Players' Complaints

A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
TT

French Open Boss: Prize Money Will Not Change Despite Players' Complaints

A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)
A ballgirl stands during the draw for the French Open tennis tournament, Thursday, May 21, 2026, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)

The French Open prize money will not change this year despite players complaining they deserve a bigger share, tournament director Amelie Mauresmo said on Thursday.

Top players have criticized the Open organizers for reducing the players’ share of revenue to an alleged 14.3% — compared to 22% at standard ATP and WTA events.

To show their discontent, many competing at Roland Garros, where play begins on Sunday, are planning to limit their interaction with reporters to 15 minutes during Friday’s traditional pre-tournament media day.

Mauresmo, a former Australian Open and Wimbledon champion, said she remained open to dialogue and was confident of a solution. A meeting is expected on Friday between tournament organizers and the players and their representatives.

But asked whether there was a chance the prize money would change this year, Mauresmo said: "No, we are not going to change anything. We are going to initiate discussions and that is what everyone wants.”

Top-ranked Aryna Sabalenka and No. 4 Coco Gauff were among leading players this month who supported a boycott of the Grand Slams if they don’t start receiving more compensation.

Roland Garros organizers increased the prize money by about 10%, after the US Open last year raised their's by 20% and this year's Australian Open by 16%.

The entire French Open pot was 61.7 million euros ($72 million), up 5.3 million euros from last year. But the players claimed their share of Roland Garros revenue declined from 15.5% in 2024 to 14.9% projected in 2026. They say the event generated 395 million euros in 2025, a 14% year-on-year increase, yet prize money rose by just 5.4%, reducing players’ share of revenue to 14.3%.

The singles champions at Roland Garros will each receive 2.8 million euros, an increase of 250,000 euros compared with 2025.

“I’m not going to tell you that everything will be resolved with the snap of a finger," Mauresmo said. “But the discussions will continue, probably after the tournament.”


Sinner, Djokovic Kept Apart in French Open Draw

FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Italian Open - Foro Italico, Rome, Italy - May 17, 2026 Italy's Jannik Sinner reacts during his men's final match against Norway's Casper Rudd REUTERS/Ciro De Luca/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Italian Open - Foro Italico, Rome, Italy - May 17, 2026 Italy's Jannik Sinner reacts during his men's final match against Norway's Casper Rudd REUTERS/Ciro De Luca/File Photo
TT

Sinner, Djokovic Kept Apart in French Open Draw

FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Italian Open - Foro Italico, Rome, Italy - May 17, 2026 Italy's Jannik Sinner reacts during his men's final match against Norway's Casper Rudd REUTERS/Ciro De Luca/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Italian Open - Foro Italico, Rome, Italy - May 17, 2026 Italy's Jannik Sinner reacts during his men's final match against Norway's Casper Rudd REUTERS/Ciro De Luca/File Photo

Jannik Sinner and Novak Djokovic will not be able to meet until the French Open final after the pair were placed in opposite halves of the draw on Thursday.

Sinner, the red-hot title favourite in the absence of injured rival Carlos Alcaraz, will start his bid for a maiden Roland Garros crown against French wildcard Clement Tabur, the world number 165.

World number one Sinner is slated to meet big-hitting American fifth seed Ben Shelton in the quarter-finals.

Daniil Medvedev is a possible semi-final opponent for the Italian, AFP reported.

The Russian gave Sinner a rare scare in the Italian Open semis earlier this month before eventually succumbing in three sets.

Djokovic will kick off his latest tilt at a record-breaking 25th Grand Slam title against home player Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard.

Second seed Alexander Zverev is a potential semi-final opponent for Djokovic.

The German has played Djokovic twice before at Roland Garros, suffering quarter-final defeats against the Serb in 2019 and last year.

The stand-out first-round tie sees in-form French number one Arthur Fils take on former champion Stan Wawrinka, featuring at the tournament for the last time before retirement.

 

 

 

 


Saudi Arabia Tops AFC Club Rankings for Sixth Consecutive Year

The Saudi flag. Asharq Al-Awsat
The Saudi flag. Asharq Al-Awsat
TT

Saudi Arabia Tops AFC Club Rankings for Sixth Consecutive Year

The Saudi flag. Asharq Al-Awsat
The Saudi flag. Asharq Al-Awsat

Saudi Arabia has retained its top position in the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) club rankings, according to the latest update for the 2025–2026 season.

The Kingdom leads the standings with 132.545 points, followed by Japan in second place with 120.410 points, and South Korea in third with 87.334 points.

This marks the sixth consecutive year Saudi Arabia has topped the AFC rankings, reflecting the strong performances of Saudi clubs in continental competitions and their consistent competitiveness in Asian tournaments.