Germany Expands GSG 9 Unit As Dozens Return from Syria, Iraq

GSG 9 Members (Asharq Al-Awsat)
GSG 9 Members (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Germany Expands GSG 9 Unit As Dozens Return from Syria, Iraq

GSG 9 Members (Asharq Al-Awsat)
GSG 9 Members (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Germany's Ministry of Interior is expanding its anti-terrorism unit GSG 9 and installing a second base for the special squad in Berlin.

Germany's elite police squad GSG 9 deals with terrorist attacks amid the ongoing terrorist threats in the capital.

GSG 9 commander Jerome Fuchs said that expanding the unit will be about around a third of its current strength. He told Berlin public broadcaster RBB on Monday, that finding the right personnel would be a "big challenge," and that "fitness, confidence, and teamwork" were the particular assets he prized most.

According to Fuchs, the GSG 9 is called out on around 50 missions every year.

Fuchs added that the decision to create a second base had been made because of an ongoing terrorist threat in Germany, especially Berlin.

"If you look at comparable terrorist situations across Europe, then it was often capital cities that were affected," Fuchs told the station, adding: "It is essential that we are better prepared in the capital. Our aim is clear: GSG 9 needs to be capable of quicker reactions in the capital."

While there has been no final decision on where the base in Berlin is to be built, Fuchs said it would most likely be in Spandau, northwestern the capital.

The GSG 9 currently is based in St Augustine near the former West German capital, Bonn.

The GSG 9 was created in 1972 and is best known for storming the Landshut in 1977. The exact number of GSG 9's members is not determined, however, its founder Ulrich Wegener, who died recently, stated that its members are estimated to be 400.

Meanwhile, the interior ministries of German states estimated the return of some 200 German ISIS members from fighting zones in Syria and Iraq to Germany. In response to inquiries by Der Spiegel and Bavaria Radio, the ministry stated that dozens of returnees are at large because of insufficient evidence against them.

The ministries reiterated that investigations with returnees are conducted, but only a small number of suspects are in prison because there is no clear evidence of their involvement in the fighting and crimes committed there.

In Bavaria, known for its strict sentences, only two of the 22 returnees from combat zones in Syria and Iraq have been convicted. Two members had been confirmed to belong to a terrorist group affiliated with al-Qaeda terrorist organization. A third person is under arrest on suspicion of belonging to a terrorist organization. The rest so far are free, but are "under strict surveillance," according to the ministry.

In Hamburg, 25 terrorism suspects returned from ISIS areas of the 80 individuals who had joined from those areas. The situation in Bavaria is not that different from Hamburg, because the public prosecution arrested only one person from these returnees.

Lower Saxony’s Interior Ministry responded says that the number of detainees could be counted on the fingers of one hand, despite the fact that one-third of the 80 participants have returned.

As for Hesse, the ministry indicated that 35 individuals returned from combat zones in Syria and Iraq, with no evidence against half of them being involved in combat operations there.

According to Der Spiegel, some states did not respond, while others do not have accurate statistics on the number of returnees and detainees. The magazine estimates that many returnees do not want to disclose information that could condemn others fearing that this information will be used against them by states interior ministries.



Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)

The Vatican ‌will not participate in US President Donald Trump's so-called "Board of Peace" initiative, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican's top diplomatic official, said on Tuesday while adding that efforts to handle crisis situations should be managed by the United Nations.

Pope Leo, the first US pope and a critic of some of Trump's policies, was invited to join the board in January.

Under Trump's Gaza plan that led to a fragile ceasefire in October, the board was meant to supervise Gaza's temporary governance. Trump thereafter said the board, with him as chair, would ‌be expanded to ‌tackle global conflicts.

The board will hold its ‌first ⁠meeting in Washington ⁠on Thursday to discuss Gaza's reconstruction.

Italy and the European Union have said their representatives plan to attend as observers as they have not joined the board.

The Holy See "will not participate in the Board of Peace because of its particular nature, which is evidently not that of other States," Parolin said.

"One concern," he said, "is that ⁠at the international level it should above all ‌be the UN that manages ‌these crisis situations. This is one of the points on which we have insisted."

The ⁠Gaza truce has been repeatedly violated with hundreds of Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers reported killed since it began in October.

Israel's assault on Gaza has killed over 72,000, caused a hunger crisis and internally displaced Gaza's entire population.

Multiple rights experts, scholars and a UN inquiry say it amounts to genocide. Israel calls its actions self-defense after Hamas-led fighters killed 1,200 people and took over 250 hostages in a late 2023 attack.

Leo has repeatedly decried conditions in Gaza. The pope, leader of the world's 1.4 billion Catholics, rarely joins international boards. The Vatican has an extensive diplomatic service and is a permanent observer at the United Nations.


Poland Bars Chinese-Made Cars from Military Sites Over Data Security Fears 

A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Poland Bars Chinese-Made Cars from Military Sites Over Data Security Fears 

A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)

Poland has barred Chinese-made vehicles from entering military facilities due to concerns their onboard sensors could be used to collect sensitive data, the Polish Army said on Tuesday evening.

The army said in ‌a statement ‌that such vehicles ‌may ⁠still be allowed onto ⁠secured sites if specified functions are disabled and other safeguards required under each facility's security rules are in place.

To ⁠limit the risk ‌of ‌exposing confidential information, the military has ‌also banned connecting company ‌phones to infotainment systems in vehicles manufactured in China.

The restrictions do not apply ‌to publicly accessible military locations such as hospitals, ⁠clinics, ⁠libraries, prosecutors' offices or garrison clubs, the army said.

It added that the measures are precautionary and align with practices used by NATO members and other allies to ensure high standards of protection for defense infrastructure.


Starmer, Trump discussed Russia-Ukraine, Iran after Geneva Talks, Downing Street Says 

US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)
TT

Starmer, Trump discussed Russia-Ukraine, Iran after Geneva Talks, Downing Street Says 

US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer announce an agreement between the two countries as they hold a press conference at Chequers at the conclusion of a state visit on September 18, 2025 in Aylesbury, Britain. (Reuters)

British ‌Prime Minister Keir Starmer spoke to US President Donald Trump on Tuesday night about US-mediated Russia-Ukraine peace talks in Geneva, as well as talks between the US and Iran on ‌their nuclear ‌dispute, a Downing Street ‌spokesperson ⁠said.

Starmer also discussed ⁠Gaza with Trump and stressed on the importance of securing further access for humanitarian aid, the spokesperson said.

Negotiators ⁠from Ukraine and ‌Russia ‌concluded the first of two days ‌of the US-mediated ‌peace talks in Geneva on Tuesday, with Trump pressing Kyiv to act fast ‌to reach a deal.

Separately, Iranian Foreign Minister ⁠Abbas ⁠Araqchi said Tehran and Washington reached an understanding on Tuesday on "guiding principles" aimed at resolving their longstanding nuclear dispute, but that did not mean a deal is imminent.