Bahrain Sentences 58 Suspects on Terror Charges

Police and security officials stand guard at a checkpoint on a highway in Sanabis west of Manama, Bahrain on February 9, 2017. (Reuters)
Police and security officials stand guard at a checkpoint on a highway in Sanabis west of Manama, Bahrain on February 9, 2017. (Reuters)
TT

Bahrain Sentences 58 Suspects on Terror Charges

Police and security officials stand guard at a checkpoint on a highway in Sanabis west of Manama, Bahrain on February 9, 2017. (Reuters)
Police and security officials stand guard at a checkpoint on a highway in Sanabis west of Manama, Bahrain on February 9, 2017. (Reuters)

Bahrain’s High Criminal Court issued sentences on Wednesday against 60 suspects held on terrorism charges, reported the Bahrain News Agency (BNA).

Acting Head of Terror Crime Prosecution, Chief Prosecutor Hamad Shaheen, said two defendants were sentenced to death and 19 to life in prison. The court also sentenced 17 defendants to 15 years in jail, nine to 10 years and 11 to five years. It also stripped 47 defendants of their citizenship.

Two detainees were acquitted.

The 60 suspects were put on trial on charges of forming a terrorist group. They were trained on the use of weapons and explosives for terrorist purposes and deliberate attempts to murder policemen.

The suspects also imported, possessed and used explosives, firearms and ammunition in armed robbery for terrorist purposes. They assaulted law enforcement personnel who protected the community from terrorist acts. They forcefully resisted arrest, fled from detention, assisted convicts to escape and sheltered convicted inmates, reported BNA.

According to Criminal Investigation Department (CID) records, the case annals date back to January 1, 2017 when ten convicts escaped from the Jaw Reformatory and Rehabilitation Center, killing one policeman from the prison warden force in the process.

The investigations revealed the formation of a terrorist organization, established and joined by a number of suspects, including 12 in Iran and Iraq, one in Germany and 40, including the 10 fugitives, in Bahrain.

The group leaders and members plotted numerous terrorist crimes aimed to destabilize public order, undermine the Kingdom’s safety and security, damage national unity and hamper authorities from carrying out their duties.

The investigations unraveled the suspects’ formation of their terrorist organization, and how the suspects communicated with members of the organization in the Kingdom who are inmates inside or outside prison to recruit other elements. They supplied them with various explosives, firearms and ammunition that had been smuggled into Bahrain.

They also supplied them with the necessary funds for their subsistence and terror activities. They, jointly with their leader, who was a fugitive in Germany, managed the travel procedures for members of the organization to travel to Iran and Iraq to train on the use of explosives, firearms in the Iranian Revolutionary Guard camps to prepare them to carry out terrorist crimes in Bahrain, said BNA.

The security personnel arrested a number of the suspects in accordance with the Law for the Protection of the Community against Terrorist Acts, searched their homes and seized a large cache of explosives, detonators, hand grenades, explosive molds, automatic Kalashnikov machineguns, pistols, ammunition, vehicles and boats used in carrying out terrorist attacks and smuggling operations.

Thirty-six suspects were arrested and referred to the Public Prosecution for questioning. Some of the suspects confessed to the charges.



Saudi Leadership Provides Two Donations Worth SAR150 Mln Through Jood Eskan Platform

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
TT

Saudi Leadership Provides Two Donations Worth SAR150 Mln Through Jood Eskan Platform

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA)

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Crown Prince and Prime Minister, have provided two generous donations amounting to SAR150 million through the Jood Eskan platform.

The move aligns with the leadership's commitment to supporting all national efforts and initiatives to provide suitable housing for deserving families.

Minister of Municipalities and Housing and Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Developmental Housing Foundation (Sakan) Majed Al-Hogail expressed his deep gratitude to the leadership for its unwavering support to all national efforts and initiatives aimed at providing suitable housing for eligible families across the Kingdom.

He noted the effective impact of previous generous donations in achieving the goals of housing development, and motivating individuals and institutions to donate through the Jood Eskan platform that is based on community giving that helps provide decent housing and boosts stability and quality of life for deserving families.


Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
TT

Saudi Crown Prince Receives Message on Bilateral Ties from President of Kazakhstan

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)
Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister. (SPA file)

Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister, received on Tuesday a written message from President of Kazakhstan Kassym-Jomart Tokayev on bilateral relations between their two countries.

The message was received by Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah during a meeting with his Kazakh counterpart Yermek Kosherbayev in Riyadh.


Princes and Officials Take Oath Before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
TT

Princes and Officials Take Oath Before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and other officials are seen during the ceremony in Riyadh on Tuesday. (SPA)

Princes and officials appointed by royal orders to their new positions took the oath of office before Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud in Riyadh on Tuesday.

They included Deputy Governor of Al-Baha Region Prince Fahd bin Saad bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz bin Turki; Member of the Shura Council Prince Dr. Saad bin Saud bin Mohammed bin Abdulaziz; Deputy Governor of Madinah Region Prince Saud bin Nahar bin Saud; Deputy Governor of Northern Borders Region Prince Mohammed bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz; and Minister of Investment Fahd Al-Saif.

They swore to be faithful to their religion, then their King and country, not to reveal any of the state’s secrets, to preserve its interests and regulations, and to perform their duties with honesty, trustworthiness, and sincerity.