Why Manchester City Broke Record For Aymeric Laporte

 Aymeric Laporte during his Manchester City debut against West Brom. Photograph: Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
Aymeric Laporte during his Manchester City debut against West Brom. Photograph: Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
TT

Why Manchester City Broke Record For Aymeric Laporte

 Aymeric Laporte during his Manchester City debut against West Brom. Photograph: Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
Aymeric Laporte during his Manchester City debut against West Brom. Photograph: Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images

Aymeric Laporte turned Manchester City down once but he was not going to do it again and certainly not now. Pep Guardiola had tried to sign him in 2016 only for the Athletic Club defender to say he did not want to leave Bilbao; this time he did and “time” is the word. Guardiola admitted he had intended to return for the Frenchman in the summer but that, given what lies ahead, he brought that forward by six months. And while he insisted this signing is not just for now, it is for the next four or five years and beyond, the “now” matters – particularly for the player.

There was a reason Laporte, who made his City debut in Wednesday’s win over West Brom, stayed last time. He later admitted that because the bid had come when he was injured, he had concerns about his adaptation, about his ability to get up and running: he was young but it was more that not being at his best physically would make starting at a new club, league and country, with a new language, more difficult.

This season may not have been the most impressive of his career so far but he is “ready”, Guardiola says. Not just ready, but in a hurry. Despite being only 23, time was ticking. Laporte played 51 times for France at youth level but has never made his senior debut, did not look like doing so either and the World Cup is five months away.

The Spanish Football Federation had investigated the possibility of “signing” Laporte but he wants to play for France. Born in Agen, although he has Basque great-grandparents, he joined Athletic at 15 via Aviron Bayonnais. Aviron are a club in the French Basque country, just over the border, with formal links to Athletic allowing him to qualify to play for them under what is usually referred to as a “Basque-only” policy on the basis of having been “formed” in Euskal Herria, the Basque land. He thus became the only non-Spaniard in the team and only the second Frenchman to play for the club after Bixente Lizarazu.

Aviron Bayonnais play in a ground named after Lizarazu’s former international team-mate Didier Deschamps, but that did not make the France manager take notice. The problem, Laporte felt, was that he was “invisible” at San Mamés. In an interview with L’Equipe he admitted he was “sad” at not getting a call-up.

“I’m in Bilbao, at a club that’s maybe not sufficiently highly rated in France; maybe that influences things,” he said. Others, like Adil Rami at Marseille, got opportunities he didn’t. “For Spain, [being at Athletic] doesn’t seem to matter. Everyone has their opinion. If Marseille is a better club, it’s not much better,” he said. “If I had the same level at another club, [a call-up] would be more likely.”

At City he should not want for titles, as he admitted he did at Athletic, and, if he is playing in the Premier League and Champions League, invisibility is surely no longer an issue. That he felt that way – and, even more so, that he felt able to say so without fear that the idea would be simply dismissed, his claim laughed at – underlined how few doubts he had about his level.

Guardiola had few doubts too. When he turned down City the first time, Laporte had been warned by many that there would not be a second chance but there was. City watched other players – including Inigo Martínez, whom Athletic have signed to replace Laporte – but never forgot the first option.

At €65m Laporte is more expensive than he was then, when his buy-out clause stood at €42m. And yet given market inflation over the last six months, that no longer appears such a great leap and the clause, obligatory at all Spanish clubs, was one of the things that made signing him attractive – not because of the amount but because of its very existence: this was a deal that could be done quickly and without fuss.

That could be a description of the man they have signed. He has not been at his best this season, with Ernesto Valverde having departed to manage Barcelona and the side unable to find the form of previous years, but he has remained largely dependable and City had seen enough of him to look beyond any doubts that may have provoked: at 23 he has already played over 200 professional games and he has the qualities that his manager wants, even though the move to Manchester will oblige him to defend higher.

Guardiola admits that defending at City is not easy, because of the specific pressures and obligations put on players, but rather than a concern that is a reason why he has focused on Laporte, in whom he sees the ability to do just that – and, of course, to play.

“Laporte adds something special with the ball,” the coach says, describing him as “intelligent”. Left-footed, able to bring it out and also deliver a longer pass, he is quick enough to cover but, more importantly, to anticipate, winning the ball back swiftly, attacks ended early.

Athletic are often seen as the most “British” of Spanish teams and he is also strong in the air and has the physical qualities to adapt to the Premier League: tough and committed as well as clever. His manager’s insistence on technique and possession perhaps blinds to his desire for a defender too; a Puyol as much as a Piqué.

“We’ll be patient,” Guardiola said. Not so patient, though, that he wanted to wait until the summer. Laporte did not want to wait either.

The Guardian Sport



Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
TT

Shakhtar Boss Pays Ukrainian Racer $200,000 After Games Disqualification

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy holds helmet as he meets with a Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych , who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton competition over his "helmet of remembrance" depicting athletes killed since Russia's invasion and his father and coach, Mykhailo Heraskevych, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Munich, Germany February 13, 2026. (Ukrainian Presidential Press Service/Handout via Reuters)

The owner of ‌Ukrainian football club Shakhtar Donetsk has donated more than $200,000 to skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych after the athlete was disqualified from the Milano Cortina Winter Games before competing over the use of a helmet depicting Ukrainian athletes killed in the war with Russia, the club said on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Heraskevych was disqualified last week when the International Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation jury ruled that imagery on the helmet — depicting athletes killed since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022 — breached rules on athletes' expression at ‌the Games.

He ‌then lost an appeal at the Court ‌of ⁠Arbitration for Sport hours ⁠before the final two runs of his competition, having missed the first two runs due to his disqualification.

Heraskevych had been allowed to train with the helmet that displayed the faces of 24 dead Ukrainian athletes for several days in Cortina d'Ampezzo where the sliding center is, but the International Olympic Committee then ⁠warned him a day before his competition ‌started that he could not wear ‌it there.

“Vlad Heraskevych was denied the opportunity to compete for victory ‌at the Olympic Games, yet he returns to Ukraine a ‌true winner," Shakhtar President Rinat Akhmetov said in a club statement.

"The respect and pride he has earned among Ukrainians through his actions are the highest reward. At the same time, I want him to ‌have enough energy and resources to continue his sporting career, as well as to fight ⁠for truth, freedom ⁠and the remembrance of those who gave their lives for Ukraine," he said.

The amount is equal to the prize money Ukraine pays athletes who win a gold medal at the Games.

The case dominated headlines early on at the Olympics, with IOC President Kirsty Coventry meeting Heraskevych on Thursday morning at the sliding venue in a failed last-minute attempt to broker a compromise.

The IOC suggested he wear a black armband and display the helmet before and after the race, but said using it in competition breached rules on keeping politics off fields of play. Heraskevych also earned praise from Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.


Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
TT

Speed Skating-Italy Clinch Shock Men’s Team Pursuit Gold, Canada Successfully Defend Women’s Title

 Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)
Team Italy with Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini, Michele Malfatti, celebrate winning the gold medal on the podium of the men's team pursuit speed skating race at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP)

An inspired Italy delighted the home crowd with a stunning victory in the Olympic men's team pursuit final as

Canada's Ivanie Blondin, Valerie Maltais and Isabelle Weidemann delivered another seamless performance to beat the Netherlands in the women's event and retain their title ‌on Tuesday.

Italy's ‌men upset the US who ‌arrived ⁠at the Games ⁠as world champions and gold medal favorites.

Spurred on by double Olympic champion Francesca Lollobrigida, the Italian team of Davide Ghiotto, Andrea Giovannini and Michele Malfatti electrified a frenzied arena as they stormed ⁠to a time of three ‌minutes 39.20 seconds - ‌a commanding 4.51 seconds clear of the ‌Americans with China taking bronze.

The roar inside ‌the venue as Italy powered home was thunderous as the crowd rose to their feet, cheering the host nation to one ‌of their most special golds of a highly successful Games.

Canada's women ⁠crossed ⁠the line 0.96 seconds ahead of the Netherlands, stopping the clock at two minutes 55.81 seconds, and

Japan rounded out the women's podium by beating the US in the Final B.

It was only Canada's third gold medal of the Games, following Mikael Kingsbury's win in men's dual moguls and Megan Oldham's victory in women's freeski big air.


Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
TT

Lindsey Vonn Back in US Following Crash in Olympic Downhill 

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Alpine Skiing - Women's Downhill 3rd Official Training - Tofane Alpine Skiing Centre, Belluno, Italy - February 07, 2026. Lindsey Vonn of United States in action during training. (Reuters)

Lindsey Vonn is back home in the US following a week of treatment at a hospital in Italy after breaking her left leg in the Olympic downhill at the Milan Cortina Games.

“Haven’t stood on my feet in over a week... been in a hospital bed immobile since my race. And although I’m not yet able to stand, being back on home soil feels amazing,” Vonn posted on X with an American flag emoji. “Huge thank you to everyone in Italy for taking good care of me.”

The 41-year-old Vonn suffered a complex tibia fracture that has already been operated on multiple times following her Feb. 8 crash. She has said she'll need more surgery in the US.

Nine days before her fall in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, Vonn ruptured the ACL in her left knee in another crash in Switzerland.

Even before then, all eyes had been on her as the feel-good story heading into the Olympics for her comeback after nearly six years of retirement.