Why Manchester City Broke Record For Aymeric Laporte

 Aymeric Laporte during his Manchester City debut against West Brom. Photograph: Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
Aymeric Laporte during his Manchester City debut against West Brom. Photograph: Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
TT

Why Manchester City Broke Record For Aymeric Laporte

 Aymeric Laporte during his Manchester City debut against West Brom. Photograph: Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
Aymeric Laporte during his Manchester City debut against West Brom. Photograph: Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images

Aymeric Laporte turned Manchester City down once but he was not going to do it again and certainly not now. Pep Guardiola had tried to sign him in 2016 only for the Athletic Club defender to say he did not want to leave Bilbao; this time he did and “time” is the word. Guardiola admitted he had intended to return for the Frenchman in the summer but that, given what lies ahead, he brought that forward by six months. And while he insisted this signing is not just for now, it is for the next four or five years and beyond, the “now” matters – particularly for the player.

There was a reason Laporte, who made his City debut in Wednesday’s win over West Brom, stayed last time. He later admitted that because the bid had come when he was injured, he had concerns about his adaptation, about his ability to get up and running: he was young but it was more that not being at his best physically would make starting at a new club, league and country, with a new language, more difficult.

This season may not have been the most impressive of his career so far but he is “ready”, Guardiola says. Not just ready, but in a hurry. Despite being only 23, time was ticking. Laporte played 51 times for France at youth level but has never made his senior debut, did not look like doing so either and the World Cup is five months away.

The Spanish Football Federation had investigated the possibility of “signing” Laporte but he wants to play for France. Born in Agen, although he has Basque great-grandparents, he joined Athletic at 15 via Aviron Bayonnais. Aviron are a club in the French Basque country, just over the border, with formal links to Athletic allowing him to qualify to play for them under what is usually referred to as a “Basque-only” policy on the basis of having been “formed” in Euskal Herria, the Basque land. He thus became the only non-Spaniard in the team and only the second Frenchman to play for the club after Bixente Lizarazu.

Aviron Bayonnais play in a ground named after Lizarazu’s former international team-mate Didier Deschamps, but that did not make the France manager take notice. The problem, Laporte felt, was that he was “invisible” at San Mamés. In an interview with L’Equipe he admitted he was “sad” at not getting a call-up.

“I’m in Bilbao, at a club that’s maybe not sufficiently highly rated in France; maybe that influences things,” he said. Others, like Adil Rami at Marseille, got opportunities he didn’t. “For Spain, [being at Athletic] doesn’t seem to matter. Everyone has their opinion. If Marseille is a better club, it’s not much better,” he said. “If I had the same level at another club, [a call-up] would be more likely.”

At City he should not want for titles, as he admitted he did at Athletic, and, if he is playing in the Premier League and Champions League, invisibility is surely no longer an issue. That he felt that way – and, even more so, that he felt able to say so without fear that the idea would be simply dismissed, his claim laughed at – underlined how few doubts he had about his level.

Guardiola had few doubts too. When he turned down City the first time, Laporte had been warned by many that there would not be a second chance but there was. City watched other players – including Inigo Martínez, whom Athletic have signed to replace Laporte – but never forgot the first option.

At €65m Laporte is more expensive than he was then, when his buy-out clause stood at €42m. And yet given market inflation over the last six months, that no longer appears such a great leap and the clause, obligatory at all Spanish clubs, was one of the things that made signing him attractive – not because of the amount but because of its very existence: this was a deal that could be done quickly and without fuss.

That could be a description of the man they have signed. He has not been at his best this season, with Ernesto Valverde having departed to manage Barcelona and the side unable to find the form of previous years, but he has remained largely dependable and City had seen enough of him to look beyond any doubts that may have provoked: at 23 he has already played over 200 professional games and he has the qualities that his manager wants, even though the move to Manchester will oblige him to defend higher.

Guardiola admits that defending at City is not easy, because of the specific pressures and obligations put on players, but rather than a concern that is a reason why he has focused on Laporte, in whom he sees the ability to do just that – and, of course, to play.

“Laporte adds something special with the ball,” the coach says, describing him as “intelligent”. Left-footed, able to bring it out and also deliver a longer pass, he is quick enough to cover but, more importantly, to anticipate, winning the ball back swiftly, attacks ended early.

Athletic are often seen as the most “British” of Spanish teams and he is also strong in the air and has the physical qualities to adapt to the Premier League: tough and committed as well as clever. His manager’s insistence on technique and possession perhaps blinds to his desire for a defender too; a Puyol as much as a Piqué.

“We’ll be patient,” Guardiola said. Not so patient, though, that he wanted to wait until the summer. Laporte did not want to wait either.

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.