Manchester United were Dull but Does Mourinho Have a Duty to Entertain?

Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea made a number of crucial saves against Sevilla during Wednesday's Champions League match. (Getty Images)
Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea made a number of crucial saves against Sevilla during Wednesday's Champions League match. (Getty Images)
TT

Manchester United were Dull but Does Mourinho Have a Duty to Entertain?

Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea made a number of crucial saves against Sevilla during Wednesday's Champions League match. (Getty Images)
Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea made a number of crucial saves against Sevilla during Wednesday's Champions League match. (Getty Images)

Some Manchester United fans saw a wonderful game in Seville, it just wasn’t the one their team played in. A handful of supporters made the most of their team’s Champions League match, traveling to Spain early, and on Sunday they were at the Benito Villamarín with 50,000 others to see Real Betis lose 5-3 to Real Madrid. Three days later and three-and-a-half kilometers away they were among the 40,000 who watched United draw 0-0 at the Sánchez Pizjuán, on a night when their team had one shot on target.

There is something about Betis. Sunday was the second time they had been involved in a 5-3. There have also been two 5-0s, a 4-0, two 2-2s, two 3-2s, a 6-3 and a 4-4. Oh, and a victory at the Bernabéu. There have been no 0-0s. When it comes to Spanish football, there is a basic rule worth adhering to, whoever you support, always watch Betis. It is not one many would apply to United, because if what happened on Sunday was predictable, Wednesday evening probably was too.

It was not a great game. An hour or so after the final whistle a former player stood a few hundred meters from the Pizjuán. “Bloody hell,” he said, “that was awful, wasn’t it?” His was not a lone voice and this did not happen entirely by accident. In part, it happened by design too.

Barney Ronay wrote on these pages how “grudgingly, belatedly, and against the manager’s better judgment … Mourinho found himself forced by circumstance and bad luck into playing his most talented midfielder in his favorite position.” Only he didn’t, not exactly. “Paul made a big effort to try to give me what I asked,” Mourinho said. “Paul replaced Ander [Herrera] and tried to give the game the same qualities.” Even leaving aside the slightly baffling stand-off that appears to be developing between the two, it was a significant line.

As Pogba prepared to come on, Mourinho explained the plan. Standing there together, the manager pointing to a tactical diagram, the memes were inevitable, and most of them involved a stationary vehicle. It was Mourinho who introduced the concept of parking the bus to England when he complained about Tottenham doing it, but he is the one most often accused of being behind the wheel.

After this game, he said he felt “relieved” only once. There was no mention of any moments in which he felt excited. The nearest he got was to say: “We finished the game with more space … more close to the possibility of scoring a goal.”

There is a second leg to come, and United probably feel they are still favorites. Mourinho is entitled to set up his side any way he likes, entitled too to have little patience with the critics who clearly occupy his thoughts, and this may well have been the way he wanted it. Yet, asked what he made of the result, he said: “It’s not good, it’s not bad.”

Had it not been for David de Gea it could certainly have been bad. Mourinho insisted there was only one moment when he was concerned and dismissed the 26-5 tally as “statistical shots”. But Juan Mata admitted: “Almost all game we suffered quite a bit.”

The question being asked, and by many, is whether United should have done more. It is absurd to suggest it was going to be easy at a ground where Sevilla have lost once in more than a year. But United were clear favorites, with a budget more than four times the size of Sevilla’s.

El País described United as “one of world football’s giants, clearly diminished by their manager”. The Spanish daily concluded: “Greatness has to be demonstrated with football.”

Mourinho must play the way he believes is right to get results: that is his task. It is no one else’s; they can speak freely “from their sofas”, as he has put it, without the pressure and demands he carries. Nor should United necessarily be obliged by what Liverpool, City and Spurs do, although the contrast may be cruel.

If United win the second leg – and they probably will – this plan may be justified but the response to this match has suggested another layer to the analysis. Disappointment, disengagement, boredom. This is not about the identity of their opponents, it is about their own identity. Is this what United are and what they should be?

“Man United should be doing a lot better,” Ian Wright, the former Arsenal and England striker, told the BBC. “I’m baffled as to why they are playing in this sterile way. If I am a United fan I am disgusted at this performance.” He suggested this was not the “United Way”. And there is a debate to be had, one applicable to all. This is not about Mourinho, even if his team have raised these questions.

Are teams obliged to do something more than win? Should managers face demands about style, as well as results? Is that fair? Do fans care? Does it matter what the neutrals say? And perhaps the biggest question of all: what’s the point of it all?

No one remembers who comes second, they say. But try telling that to anyone who watched Brazil at the 1982 World Cup. There are winners who are forgotten too, though they may be fewer. It may not be fair to demand something more, beyond a team’s primary function, which is to win, and making this somehow an ethical question is a stretch, but there is something else, not just the score, not just success.

The former Sevilla manager Unai Emery is under no illusions that he has to win and that is what truly matters but it is not the only thing that matters. “The process of living it is as interesting as the way it ends,” he has said.

Across the city the Betis manager, Quique Setién, is committed to that idea. He too is criticized, as attacking coaches often are, for their defensive weaknesses, and results will sentence him one day. But they will remember him and his team. That handful of United fans who saw a wonderful game in Seville certainly will.

The Guardian Sport



Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.


Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
TT

Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs

Ukrainian officials will boycott the Paralympic Winter Games, Kyiv said Wednesday, after the International Paralympic Committee allowed Russian athletes to compete under their national flag.

Ukraine also urged other countries to shun next month's Opening Ceremony in Verona on March 6, in part of a growing standoff between Kyiv and international sporting federations four years after Russia invaded.

Six Russians and four Belarusians will be allowed to take part under their own flags at the Milan-Cortina Paralympics rather than as neutral athletes, the Games' governing body confirmed to AFP on Tuesday.

Russia has been mostly banned from international sport since Moscow invaded Ukraine. The IPC's decision triggered fury in Ukraine.

Ukraine's sports minister Matviy Bidny called the decision "outrageous", and accused Russia and Belarus of turning "sport into a tool of war, lies, and contempt."

"Ukrainian public officials will not attend the Paralympic Games. We will not be present at the opening ceremony," he said on social media.

"We will not take part in any other official Paralympic events," he added.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga said he had instructed Kyiv's ambassadors to urge other countries to also shun the opening ceremony.

"Allowing the flags of aggressor states to be raised at the Paralympic Games while Russia's war against Ukraine rages on is wrong -- morally and politically," Sybiga said on social media.

The EU's sports commissioner Glenn Micallef said he would also skip the opening ceremony.

- Kyiv demands apology -

The IPC's decision comes amid already heightened tensions between Ukraine and the International Olympic Committee, overseeing the Winter Olympics currently underway.

The IOC banned Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych for refusing to ditch a helmet depicting victims of the war with Russia.

Ukraine was further angered that the woman chosen to carry the "Ukraine" name card and lead its team out during the Opening Ceremony of the Games was revealed to be Russian.

Media reports called the woman an anti-Kremlin Russian woman living in Milan for years.

"Picking a Russian person to carry the nameplate is despicable," Kyiv's foreign ministry spokesman Georgiy Tykhy said at a briefing in response to a question by AFP.

He called it a "severe violation of the Olympic Charter" and demanded an apology.

And Kyiv also riled earlier this month at FIFA boss Gianni Infantino saying he believed it was time to reinstate Russia in international football.

- 'War, lies and contempt' -

Valeriy Sushkevych, president of the Ukrainian Paralympic Committee told AFP on Tuesday that Kyiv's athletes would not boycott the Paralympics.

Ukraine traditionally performs strongly at the Winter Paralympics, coming second in the medals table four years ago in Beijing.

"If we do not go, it would mean allowing Putin to claim a victory over Ukrainian Paralympians and over Ukraine by excluding us from the Games," said the 71-year-old in an interview.

"That will not happen!"

Russia was awarded two slots in alpine skiing, two in cross-country skiing and two in snowboarding. The four Belarusian slots are all in cross-country skiing.

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) said earlier those athletes would be "treated like (those from) any other country".

The IPC unexpectedly lifted its suspension on Russian and Belarusian athletes at the organisation's general assembly in September.


'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
TT

'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)

Ami Nakai entered her first Olympics insisting she was not here for medals — but after the short program at the Milano Cortina Games, the 17-year-old figure skater found herself at the top, ahead of national icon Kaori Sakamoto and rising star Mone Chiba.

Japan finished first, second, and fourth on Tuesday, cementing a formidable presence heading into the free skate on Thursday. American Alysa Liu finished third.

Nakai's clean, confident skate was anchored by a soaring triple Axel. She approached the moment with an ease unusual for an Olympic debut.

"I'm not here at this Olympics with the goal of achieving a high result, I'm really looking forward to enjoying this Olympics as much as I can, till the very last moment," she said.

"Since this is my first Olympics, I had nothing to lose, and that mindset definitely translated into my results," she said.

Her carefree confidence has unexpectedly put her in medal contention, though she cannot imagine herself surpassing Sakamoto, the three-time world champion who is skating the final chapter of her competitive career. Nakai scored 78.71 points in the short program, ahead of Sakamoto's 77.23.

"There's no way I stand a chance against Kaori right now," Nakai said. "I'm just enjoying these Olympics and trying my best."

Sakamoto, 25, who has said she will retire after these Games, is chasing the one accolade missing from her resume: Olympic gold.

Having already secured a bronze in Beijing in 2022 and team silvers in both Beijing and Milan, she now aims to cap her career with an individual title.

She delivered a polished short program to "Time to Say Goodbye," earning a standing ovation.

Sakamoto later said she managed her nerves well and felt satisfied, adding that having three Japanese skaters in the top four spots "really proves that Japan is getting stronger". She did not feel unnerved about finishing behind Nakai, who also bested her at the Grand Prix de France in October.

"I expected to be surpassed after she landed a triple Axel ... but the most important thing is how much I can concentrate on my own performance, do my best, stay focused for the free skate," she said.

Chiba placed fourth and said she felt energised heading into the free skate, especially after choosing to perform to music from the soundtrack of "Romeo and Juliet" in Italy.

"The rankings are really decided in the free program, so I'll just try to stay calm and focused in the free program and perform my own style without any mistakes," said the 20-year-old, widely regarded as the rising all-rounder whose steady ascent has made her one of Japan's most promising skaters.

All three skaters mentioned how seeing Japanese pair Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara deliver a stunning comeback, storming from fifth place after a shaky short program to capture Japan's first Olympic figure skating pairs gold medal, inspired them.

"I was really moved by Riku and Ryuichi last night," Chiba said. "The three of us girls talked about trying to live up to that standard."