Cabinet Reshuffle in Jordan Includes 9 Ministers to Soothe Anger over Economy

Jordan's Prime Minister Hani Mulki ( File Photo: Reuters/Muhammad Hamed)
Jordan's Prime Minister Hani Mulki ( File Photo: Reuters/Muhammad Hamed)
TT

Cabinet Reshuffle in Jordan Includes 9 Ministers to Soothe Anger over Economy

Jordan's Prime Minister Hani Mulki ( File Photo: Reuters/Muhammad Hamed)
Jordan's Prime Minister Hani Mulki ( File Photo: Reuters/Muhammad Hamed)

Jordan’s Prime Minister Hani Mulki reshuffled the cabinet on Sunday, his sixth since coming to power, and appointed the king’s chief of staff as his special deputy for economic affairs and a new foreign minister, according to Jordanian Royal Court.

The PM announced Jamal Sarayreh as deputy prime minister and minister of state for prime ministry affairs and Jaafar Hassan as deputy prime minister and minister of state for economic affairs. Hassan's appointment is considered a bid to ease widespread anger.

Earlier this year, Mulki imposed several IMF-mandated tax hikes to cut rising public debt that have hit citizens' income.

Finance Minister Omar Malhas kept his job in the reshuffle, as did Ayman Safadi who remained the minister of foreign affairs. Safadi, a long-time adviser to the royal family, was assigned the foreign minister last year and has been leading the Jordan's talks with US over its Middle East policy.

The reshuffle also included the assignment of: Ali Ghezawi as Minister of Water and Irrigation, Samir Murad as Minister of Labour, Nayef Fayez as Minister of Environment, Bashir Rawashdeh as Minister of Youth, Samir Mubaidin as Minister of Interior, Abdul Nasser Abul Bassal as Minister of Awqaf and Islamic Affairs, and Ahmad Oweidi as Minister of State for Legal Affairs.

All the new ministers were sworn in before King Abdullah II at al-Husainiah Palace in the presence of Prime Minister Mulki and Royal Court Chief Fayez Tarawneh, according to the Royal Court.

This is Mulki's sixth reshuffle of cabinet since it was established on June 1, 2016 and included 29 ministers. This comes after he avoided the parliament's motion of no confidence, and days after hundreds of protesters in several cities demanded his resignation, due to the government's decision to impose taxes on most consumer and foot items.

Prime Minister Mulki said in a press statement that the government achieved a “huge success” in the financial reform process during the past two years, and took measures to narrow the state budget deficit, according to Jordan News Agency, Petra.

Mulki said that the step that will follow the financial reform measures will be working to stimulate the economy, with a focus on curbing the rising public debt, through realistic implementation of the National Programme to Stimulate Economy and to increase growth rate by 2-4 per cent.

The government's second focus will be enhancing the rule of law, added Petra.

Jordan's economy has been severely affected by the conflicts in Iraq and Syria, and the public debt has reached nearly $35 billion.

Jordan, which suffers from scarcity in water and natural resources, imports 98 percent of its energy needs. The country is home to some 680,000 Syrian refugees who fled the their country since war erupted in 2011, add to that about some 700,000 Syrians who entered Jordan before the conflict, according to the government.

Politicians and economists say the tight fiscal boost and price increases exacerbated the suffering of the poor in Jordan.

However, contrary to previous protests, only a few scattered protests have taken place, but slogans raised in the rally in Salt were the most critical so far.

“We will wage an intifada (uprising) until prices go down. There are limits to our patience,”protesters chanted.
On Friday the authorities sent gendarmerie reinforcements to Salt.



Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Australia Bars Citizen Held in Syria’s Roj Camp from Returning Home

Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
Members of Australian families believed to be linked to ISIS leave Roj camp near Derik, Syria February 16, 2026. REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Australia has barred one of its citizens from returning home from a Syrian detention camp because of security concerns, the government said Wednesday.

The unidentified person is among a group of 34 Australian women and children at the Roj camp related to suspected members of ISIS.

"I can confirm that one individual in this cohort has been issued a temporary exclusion order, which was made on advice from security agencies," Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said in a statement sent to AFP.

"At this stage security agencies have not provided advice that other members of the cohort meet the required legal thresholds for temporary exclusion orders."

The minister can make temporary exclusion orders lasting up to two years to prevent terrorist activities or politically motivated violence.

The Australians were released from the camp on Monday but failed to reach the capital Damascus on their way home, a Kurdish official told AFP in Syria.

The official said they were turned back to the detention camp, citing "poor coordination" with the Syrian authorities.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese underscored his government's refusal to help repatriate the women and children.

"You make your bed, you lie in it," he said, accusing the group of aligning with an ideology that seeks to "undermine and destroy our way of life".

"We are doing nothing to repatriate or to assist these people," he told reporters Wednesday.

"I think it's unfortunate that children are caught up in this. That's not their decision but it's the decision of their parents or their mother."

The humanitarian organization Save the Children Australia filed a lawsuit in 2023 on behalf of 11 women and 20 children in Syria, seeking their repatriation.

But the Federal Court ruled against Save the Children, saying the Australian government did not control their detention in Syria.


Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
TT

Saudi Intervention Ends Socotra Power Crisis

Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)
Socotra power generators restarted after Saudi intervention (X)

Electricity has returned to Yemen’s Socotra archipelago after urgent Saudi intervention ended days of outages that disrupted daily life and crippled vital institutions, including the general hospital, the university and the technical institute.

The breakthrough followed a sudden shutdown of the power plants after the operating company withdrew and disabled control systems, triggering widespread blackouts and deepening hardship for residents.

The Saudi Program for the Development and Reconstruction of Yemen said its engineering and technical teams moved immediately after receiving an appeal from local authorities. Specialists were dispatched to reactivate operating systems that had been encrypted before the company left the island.

Generators were brought back online in stages, restoring electricity across most of the governorate within a short time.

The restart eased intense pressure on the grid, which had faced rising demand in recent weeks after a complete halt in generation.

Health and education facilities were among the worst affected. Some medical departments scaled back services, while parts of the education sector were partially suspended as classrooms and laboratories were left without power.

Socotra’s electricity authority said the crisis began when the former operator installed shutdown timers and password protections on control systems, preventing local teams from restarting the stations. Officials noted that the archipelago faced a similar situation in 2018, which was resolved through official intervention.

Local sources said the return of electricity quickly stabilized basic services. Water networks resumed regular operations, telecommunications improved, and commercial activity began to recover after a period of economic disruption linked to the outages.

Health and education rebound

In the health sector, stable power, combined with operational support, secured the functioning of Socotra General Hospital, the archipelago’s main medical facility.

Funding helped provide fuel and medical supplies and support healthcare staff, strengthening the hospital’s ability to receive patients and reducing the need to transfer cases outside the governorate, a burden that had weighed heavily on residents.

Medical sources said critical departments, including intensive care units and operating rooms, resumed normal operations after relying on limited emergency measures.

In education, classes and academic activities resumed at Socotra University and the technical institute after weeks of disruption.

A support initiative covered operational costs, including academic staff salaries and essential expenses, helping curb absenteeism and restore the academic schedule.

Local authorities announced that studies at the technical institute would officially restart on Monday, a move seen as a sign of gradual stabilization in public services.

Observers say sustained technical and operational support will be key to safeguarding electricity supply and preventing a repeat of the crisis in a region that depends almost entirely on power to run its vital sectors.


Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
TT

Egypt’s Prime Minister and FM Head to Washington for Trump Peace Council Meeting

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty speaks during a joint press conference with Kenyan Prime Cabinet Secretary/Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Diaspora Affairs Musalia Mudavadi in Nairobi, Kenya, Monday, Feb. 16, 2026. (AP)

Egypt's Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly headed to Washington on Tuesday ‌to ‌participate in ‌the inaugural ⁠meeting of a "Board of Peace" established by US President Donald ⁠Trump, the ‌cabinet ‌said.

Madbouly is ‌attending ‌on behalf of President Abdel ‌Fattah al-Sisi and is accompanied by ⁠Foreign ⁠Minister Badr Abdelatty.

Foreign Minister Gideon Saar will represent Israel at the inaugural meeting, his office said on Tuesday.

Hamas, meanwhile, called on the newly-formed board to pressure Israel to halt what it described as ongoing violations of the ceasefire in Gaza.

The Board of Peace, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

But its purpose has since morphed into resolving all sorts of international conflicts, triggering fears the US president wants to create a rival to the United Nations.

Saar will first attend a ministerial level UN Security Council meeting in New York on Wednesday, and on Thursday he "will represent Israel at the inaugural session of the board, chaired by Trump in Washington DC, where he will present Israel's position", his office said in a statement.

It was initially reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu might attend the gathering, but his office said last week that he would not.

Ahead of the meeting, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem told AFP that the Palestinian movement urged the board's members "to take serious action to compel the Israeli occupation to stop its violations in Gaza".

"The war of genocide against the Strip is still ongoing -- through killing, displacement, siege, and starvation -- which have not stopped until this very moment," he added.

He also called for the board to work to support the newly formed Palestinian technocratic committee meant to oversee the day-to-day governance of post-war Gaza "so that relief and reconstruction efforts in Gaza can commence".

Announcing the creation of the board in January, Trump also unveiled plans to establish a "Gaza Executive Board" operating under the body.

The executive board would include Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan and Qatari diplomat Ali Al-Thawadi.

Netanyahu has strongly objected to their inclusion.

Since Trump launched his "Board of Peace" at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.