Kurdistan Crossings With Turkey, Iran Await Political Agreement

Haj Omran border crossing between Iran and Iraqi Kurdistan, October 3, 2017 (File Photo: Reuters)
Haj Omran border crossing between Iran and Iraqi Kurdistan, October 3, 2017 (File Photo: Reuters)
TT

Kurdistan Crossings With Turkey, Iran Await Political Agreement

Haj Omran border crossing between Iran and Iraqi Kurdistan, October 3, 2017 (File Photo: Reuters)
Haj Omran border crossing between Iran and Iraqi Kurdistan, October 3, 2017 (File Photo: Reuters)

Border crossings linking Kurdistan region of Iraq with Iran and Turkey were points of political disagreements between Baghdad and Erbil prior to the September 25 independence referendum, and even became a major obstacle before the normalization of political and administrative relations between the federal government and regional government.

Baghdad still demands that the Kurdistan government hands over the five official crossings to the federal authorities as a condition to start the dialogue and political negotiation with the region. The federal government even sought to seize these crossings, that link the region and Iraq with Turkey and Iran, by military force, through coordination with Ankara and Tehran.

However, this project seems to have been disrupted by the superpowers that pushed the federal government into resorting to a peaceful option and political dialogue to resolve the problem of the border crossings.

Despite the prior agreement between Iran and Turkey in this regard, Tehran closed its three border ports with Kurdistan for 40 days, and then voluntarily re-opened them after Ankara procrastinated closing "Ibrahim Khalil" vital port, in an attempt to monopolize Kurdistan's markets.

Kurdistan has five official main border crossings with the three neighboring countries: Ibrahim al-Khalil, that links the country with Turkey, Faysh Khabur crossing west of Dohuk, which links Iraq with Syria, Haj Omran crossing with Iran, and Bashmagh crossing with Iran, as well as the crossing Parvez Khan crossing with Iran.

Kurdistan’s general director of customs, Samal Abdul-Rahman, told Asharq al-Awsat that Kurdistan’s main five border crossings remain under the control of the region’s authorities, noting that Baghdad had not sent its observers to partake in the management of those crossings as agreed.

He revealed that revenues from operations at those crossings still go to the region’s government despite progress made in negotiations for the joint administration of those facilities. He explained that the agreement has not yet gone into action waiting for the broader political deal between Irbil and Baghdad.

The federal government issued a resolution earlier this year to close non-official crossings between the region and neighboring countries, which are over 10 crossings that have already been closed.

Abdul Rahman indicated that Kurdistan government considers all the crossings linking the region with neighboring countries to be official, however, Baghdad officially recognizes only five crossings: Ibrahim al-Khalil, Faysh Khabur, Haj Omran, Bashmagh, and Parvez Khan.

Trade exchange between Kurdistan with Iran and Turkey reached about $10 billion with Ankara, and about $6 billion with Tehran, according to the general directorate of customs.

Meanwhile, director of Haj Omran crossing, Masoud Bakeli announced that trade with Iran is gradually returning to normal, now that Winter season is almost over. The crossing was closed by Iranian authorities at the request of the Iraqi authorities, and it was reopened two months ago.

Hajj Omran has not received any staff, observers or even administrative instructions from the Iraqi government, Bakeli told Asharq al-Awsat.

The official denied that Iran has imposed specific conditions on the administration of the crossing in return for allowing the resumption of trade exchange.

"Iran closed the crossing by a unilateral decision and reopened it by a unilateral decision. We did not yet know the motives behind such decision," he indicated.

He also denied the export of crude oil to the Iranian side, but pointed out that a limited number of oil tanks transport black oil to the other side, based on official permits issued from the government.



US Military Conducts Rapid Response Exercise at Embassy in Venezuela

US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
TT

US Military Conducts Rapid Response Exercise at Embassy in Venezuela

US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)

The US military conducted a rapid response exercise involving Marines and military aircraft in Venezuela’s capital Saturday, over four months after the ouster of then-President Nicolás Maduro.

Two Marine Corps Osprey aircraft, which have characteristics of both a helicopter and a fixed-wing airplane, flew over the recently reopened US Embassy in Caracas. They landed in the parking lot with the downdraft blowing tree branches. Forces then descended from the aircraft.

“Ensuring the military’s rapid response capability is a key component of mission readiness, both here in Venezuela and around the world,” The Associated Press quoted the embassy as saying on Instagram.

Venezuela’s government had announced the drill earlier this week. Foreign Minister Yván Gil said the US would conduct the exercise to prepare “in the event of medical emergencies or catastrophic emergencies.”

The drill comes almost two months after the US formally reopened its embassy in Caracas. The reopening followed the restoration of full diplomatic relations with the South American country after Maduro 's ouster in early January.

Some Caracas residents Saturday gathered near the embassy to watch the aircraft, while a few dozen others gathered elsewhere in the city to protest the exercise. Protesters held a Venezuelan flag with the message “No to the Yankee drill” written over it.

US military aircraft last flew over Caracas on Jan. 3, when elite forces rappelled down from helicopters and captured Maduro and his wife. Both were taken to New York to face drug trafficking charges. They have pleaded not guilty.


Trump Says Negotiators Are Getting Closer to Iran Deal

FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo
TT

Trump Says Negotiators Are Getting Closer to Iran Deal

FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo

President Donald Trump said on Saturday that negotiators for the United States and Iran were "getting a lot closer" to finalizing an agreement to end the war, according to an interview with CBS News.

He said a final agreement would prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon and would ensure that Iran's enriched ⁠uranium would be "satisfactorily handled," ⁠according to CBS.

"I will only sign a deal where we get everything we want," Trump was quoted as saying.

But in the interview with the TV network, Trump also warned that if the US and Iran do not come to an agreement, "we're going to have a situation where no country will ever be hit as hard as they're about to be hit."

Iran, the United States and mediator Pakistan all said on Saturday that ⁠progress had been made in talks on ending almost three months of war.

Trump said he would discuss the latest Iran draft agreement with advisers on Saturday and might make a decision on whether to resume the war by Sunday, he told Axios in a separate interview.

"Either we reach a good deal or I'll ⁠blow ⁠them to a thousand hells," Trump said, according to Axios.

Trump has vacillated between the two poles of diplomacy and military strike since a ceasefire was declared six weeks ago to allow the sides to come to agreement on Iran's nuclear program and on reopening the Strait of Hormuz, a critical oil and gas supply route now controlled by Tehran.

Iran signaled on Saturday “narrowing differences” in negotiations with the US after Pakistan’s army chief held more talks in Tehran, and US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told journalists in India that “there’s been some progress made" and “there may be news later today.”


Rubio Says Progress Made on Iran

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
TT

Rubio Says Progress Made on Iran

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Saturday that some progress has been made on Washington's dispute with Iran and that the US might have "something to say" on the issue in the coming days.

"There's been some progress done, some progress made, even as I speak to you now, there's some work being done. There is a chance that, whether it's later today, tomorrow, in a couple days, we may have something to say," Rubio told reporters during his visit to New Delhi.

Meanwhile, Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said on Saturday that Tehran was in the final stages of drafting a framework for a deal to end the war with the United States.

"Within a reasonable period of 30 to 60 days, the details of these points will be discussed and a final agreement will ultimately be concluded. We are currently in the process of finalizing these memoranda of understanding," he told state broadcaster IRIB.