Scott McTominay’s Road from under-11 Wembley Final to United Regular

Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay. (AFP)
Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay. (AFP)
TT

Scott McTominay’s Road from under-11 Wembley Final to United Regular

Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay. (AFP)
Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay. (AFP)

The DW Fitness gym, Morecambe, Tuesday night. Forty-eight hours after shackling Eden Hazard in Manchester United’s win over Chelsea Scott McTominay is using a day off to ensure he remains in prime condition for José Mourinho.

McTominay’s emergence as a bona fide first-team player has caused some surprise within the club. The 21-year-old was viewed as a utility midfielder of promise whose abilities were hardly stellar. Yet Mourinho preferred McTominay to Paul Pogba recently, dropping the Frenchman for games against Huddersfield Town and Sevilla. When Pogba was reinstated for Chelsea’s visit last Sunday McTominay’s place was not in doubt, with Ander Herrera’s injury opening up a place for the £89m midfielder.

Those close to McTominay are not particularly surprised by a trajectory this season that has featured 15 appearances to follow two last year, his debut coming at Arsenal as an 84th-minute replacement on May 7.

Mark Grayson was McTominay’s teacher and coach at St. Wilfrid’s primary school in Halton, a village near Lancaster where the player was born. “Scott was always a standout player,” says Grayson, who made McTominay captain of the team that claimed the Community Cup, an under-11 competition, in a Wembley final in 2008. “He scored the winning goal, it was fantastic. We had the night before in the Ibis [hotel]. I don’t think the boys slept at all as their bedrooms were facing Wembley, which was lit up.

“The changing rooms were absolutely enormous; these little lads were dwarfed by them. It ended 1-0 – the game got to all of the players – but Scott picked up the ball inside his own half, beat two players and scored in the corner.”

McTominay has been at United since his early school years and Grayson offers a story to illustrate how attitude is a key attribute in the player’s rise.

“When he was in my class in year five – 10 years old – his parents asked for two days’ leave of absence,” says Grayson. “He was representing United at an event in Spain where there were teams from Brazil, Italy, Spain and Germany. He took the Friday and the Monday, and when he came back to school went to his desk straight away.

“I said: ‘Wooah Scott, tell us how it went.’ It was a small-sided tournament but they had large crowds – a couple of thousand watching each game. United got knocked out in the quarter-finals but he scored a couple of goals. There was a round of applause for this and some ‘well dones’.

“Yet what happened next is the measure of the lad as he’s unassuming; he just does the job. Because a little later in class he came to me and said: ‘Mr Grayson, my mum told me I had to tell you something else.’ And it was that while United were knocked out in the quarter-finals he was voted player of the tournament. That’s a real reason he was captain – kids just looked up to him.”

Dan Towers, who played in the Wembley final, remains a close friend. He, too, points to McTominay’s focus.

“He was always one of the smaller kids – now he’s a lot taller. He’s still got the good technical attributes and quick feet but I’d probably say his attitude is mostly [behind his success]. He does a lot – for example, gym work that’s optional is just the norm for him, on his days off. We were in the gym on Tuesday night. He had three days off after the game. His mum and dad live in Lancaster and he came for a bit of recovery.”

McTominay moved to Manchester in the second year of senior school after being offered a scholarship by United. His parents, Frank and Julie, were concerned his height might hamper his prospects. At 18 he was 5ft 6in, though United remained calm. “They had done all the physiological tests,” says Grayson. “They said: ‘No, we expect him to grow well.’ And in the last 18 months he certainly has.”

McTominay is 6ft 4in and Towers says: “Scott’s always been grateful for coaches – Paul McGuinness, Warren Joyce – who stood by him because they knew he had the technical ability to go on and make it. He also always mentions the United way too – Jesse Lingard, Marcus Rashford, you could go on and on. Seeing the players he played with when he was younger doing it pushed him.”

Nemanja Matic, his midfield partner against Chelsea, offers a glowing assessment. “He is amazing – he is 21 and to play like that and control the game is impressive. He will be a big player for Manchester United. When I joined I saw within a few days he would become a top player.”

Towers offers a further clue to McTominay’s ultra-professionalism that is now causing a tussle between Scotland and England for his services. “He says he’ll assess who he’s going to be playing against so he’s not playing blindly. Like Hazard and Willian on the weekend. If you play blindly against those boys you can be made to look like an idiot at times. He does his research, works hard behind the scenes and is reaping the rewards of all the sacrifices he made.”

The Guardian Sport



Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
TT

Verona Prepares its Ancient Arena for the Olympics Closing Ceremony on Sunday

A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)
A view of the Arena ahead of the closing ceremony at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Verona, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Calanni)

A city forever associated with Romeo and Juliet, Verona will host the final act of the Milan Cortina Winter Olympics on Sunday inside the ancient Roman Arena, where some 1,500 athletes will celebrate their feats against a backdrop of Italian music and dance.

Acclaimed ballet dancer Roberto Bolle has been rehearsing for the closing ceremony inside the Arena di Verona this week under a veil of secrecy, along with some 350 volunteers, for a spectacle titled “Beauty in Motion," which frames beauty as something inherently dynamic.

“Beauty cannot be fixed in time. This ancient monument is beautiful if it is alive, if it continues to change,” said the ceremony's producer, Alfredo Accatino. “This is what we want to narrate: An Italy that is changing, and also the beauty of movement, the beauty of sport and the beauty of nature."

Other headlining Italian artists include singer Achille Lauro and DJ Gabry Ponte, whose hits could be heard blasting from the Arena during rehearsals this week.

Inside a tent serving as a dressing room, seamstresses put the finishing touches on costumes inspired by the opera world as volunteers prepped for the stage, The Associated Press reported.

“It’s really special to be inside the Arena,” said Matilde Ricchiuto, a student from a local dance school. "Usually, I am there as a spectator and now I get to be a star, I would say. I feel super special.”

The Arena has been a venue for popular entertainment since it was first built in 1 A.D., predating the larger Roman Colosseum by decades. Accatino said the ancient monument will produce some surprises from within its vast tunnels.

“Under the Arena there is a mysterious world that hides everything that has happened. At a certain point, this world will come out," Accatino said, promising “something very beautiful."

The ceremony will open with athletes parading triumphantly through Piazza Bra into the Arena, which once served as a stage for gladiator fights and hunts for exotic beasts.

The closing ceremony stage was inspired by a drop of water, meant to symbolically unite the Olympic mountain venues with the Po River Valley, where Milan and Verona are located, while serving as a reminder that the Winter Games are being reshaped by climate change.

While the opening ceremony was held in Milan, the other host city, Cortina d’Ampezzo, nestled in the Dolomite mountains, was considered too small and remote to host the closing ceremony. Verona, in the same Veneto region as Cortina, was chosen for its unique venue and relatively central location, said Maria Laura Iascone, the local organizing committee's head of ceremonies.

“Only Italians can use such monuments to do special events, so this is very unique, very rare," Iascone said of the Arena.

She promised a more intimate evening than the opening ceremony in Milan's San Siro soccer stadium, with about 12,000 people attending the closing compared with more than 60,000 for the opening.

Iascone said about 1,500 of the nearly 3,000 athletes participating in the most spread-out Winter Games in Olympic history are expected to drive a little over an hour from Milan and between two and four hours from the six mountain venues.

The ceremony will close with the Olympic flame being extinguished. A light show will substitute fireworks, which are not allowed in Verona to protect animals from being disturbed.

The Verona Arena will also be the venue for the Paralympic opening ceremony on March 6. For the ceremonies, the ancient Arena has been retrofitted with new wheelchair ramps and accessible restrooms along with other safety upgrades. The six Paralympic events will be held in Milan and Cortina until March 15.


Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
TT

Arsenal Blows 2-goal Lead at Wolves to Boost Man City's Premier League Title Chances

Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026  Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn
Soccer Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie celebrates scoring their second goal with teammates REUTERS/Chris Radburn

Arsenal blew a two-goal lead at last-place Wolves on Wednesday to give a huge boost to Manchester City in the race for the Premier League title.

The league leader was held to a surprise 2-2 draw at Molineux, having led 2-0 in the second half.

Teenage debutant Tom Edozie scored in the fourth minute of added time to complete Wolves' comeback.

“There was a big difference in how we played in the first half and the second half. We dropped our standards and we got punished for it,” Arsenal forward Bukayo Saka told the BBC.

The draw means Arsenal has dropped points in back-to-back games and leaves it just five ahead of second-place City, having played a game more.

With the top two still to play each other at City's Etihad Stadium, the title race is too close to call.

“(It's) time to focus on ourselves, improve our standards and improve our performances and it is in our control,” Saka said.

Arsenal has led the way for the majority of the season and one bookmaker paid out on Mikel Arteta's team winning the title after it opened up a nine-point lead earlier this month.

But Wednesday's result was the latest sign that it is feeling the pressure, having finished runner-up in each of the last three seasons. It has won just two of its last seven league games.

Having blown a lead against Brentford last week, it was even worse at a Wolves team that has won just one game all season.

Victory looked all but secured after Saka gave Arsenal the lead with a header in the fifth minute and Piero Hincapie ran through to blast in the second in the 56th.

But Wolves' fightback began with Hugo Bueno's curling shot into the top corner in the 61st.

The 19-year-old Edozie was sent on as a substitute in the 84th and his effort earned the home team only its 10th point of a campaign that looks certain to end in relegation.

While it did little for Wolves' chances of survival, it may have had a major impact at the top of the standings.

“Incredibly disappointed that we gave two points away,” Arteta said. "I think we need to fault ourselves and give credit to Wolves. But what we did in the second half was nowhere near our standards that we have to play in order to win a game in the Premier League.

“When you don’t perform you can get punished, and we got punished and we have to accept the hits because that can happen when you are on top."

Arsenal plays Tottenham on Sunday. Its lead could be cut to two points before it kicks off if City wins against Newcastle on Saturday.


Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.