Chris Hughton’s Honest Approach Strikes a Chord at Brighton

Brighton manager Chris Hughton. (Getty Images)
Brighton manager Chris Hughton. (Getty Images)
TT

Chris Hughton’s Honest Approach Strikes a Chord at Brighton

Brighton manager Chris Hughton. (Getty Images)
Brighton manager Chris Hughton. (Getty Images)

To the outside world, a manager’s decisions are the only way to judge their work. But to the inner circle, to the players and staff that make up the daily life of a team, it is not just the decision but the way it is imparted that tells you so much about a person’s true management style. Steve Sidwell was hitting his 35th birthday, with a long and varied career behind him, when he was called in to have a chat with Chris Hughton. Sidwell’s frustrating season – he broke an ankle in a freak accident just as he was almost fully recovered from surgery on a prolapsed disc – was about to take another hit. Hughton sat down with the midfielder and began to talk.

“He pulled me in before the transfer window shut and said: ‘I am looking to bring a striker in and if I do there might not be a space for you,’” Sidwell recalls. Being withdrawn from the Premier League’s 25-man roster, in effect cutting off any chance to play once he finished his latest rehab, was an obvious blow, even if Sidwell fully understood the logic behind a decision in the club’s best interests.

The midfielder responded with the honesty and courteous professionalism that Hughton had shown him. “The way you get treated determines how you react,” he explains. “In those meetings there was truthfulness and he confided in me. It might have been easy to throw toys out of the pram if I had been treated badly, but that wasn’t it. So I offered to do anything off the pitch, in the dressing room, around certain individuals, going to watch matches for him. It is just about playing your part as best as you can.”

The exchange gives an insight into the atmosphere at Brighton under Hughton. Having been out of English football’s top flight for decades, having fought for their very existence, it would have been understandable for Brighton to have got a bit too excited, or felt a bit too anxious, about this season in the big time. But Hughton likes his football environment to be as measured as possible.

According to Liam Rosenior it has served Brighton extremely well. “The manager sets the tone for the culture of a football club,” he says. “As a person he is just a very consistent guy. He is very honest and humble. When you have those qualities they automatically transfer to your work. He doesn’t treat everybody the same but he treats everyone with the same amount of respect – whether that is tactical, off the field things with our lives, how we conduct ourselves.

“Throughout the week he will speak to people one-to-one, that is one of his strengths. When you are playing for someone like that you don’t want to let them down. The way he motivates is not to shout or single players out for mistakes or having a bad game. He has the foresight to know he can lose a player. He is always looking at it from an improvement point of view. He never gets too upset if we lose a game or too happy if we win. There is a real calmness throughout the squad and that is down to him.”

Brighton took on Arsenal on Sunday on the back of their most upbeat sequence of the season – four wins and two draws in all competitions have helped them to move upwards after a difficult couple of months. They feel buoyant but also cautious, knowing that their run-in brings a series of high profile opponents. This period of the season is key to survival. Everything is well organized and confidence is being maintained. The attitude brought fruition and Brighton defeated Arsenal 2-1, compounding Arsene Wenger’s dismal season.

Sidwell is impressed with how Brighton have adapted to Premier League life. “When we got promoted there was a lot of excitement, a lot of nervous energy,” he says. “The first handful of games was a mixed bag and it hit the lads how hard the Premier League is. They took picking up wins most weeks for granted in the Championship.

“The steadiness all comes from the manager. He never lets us get above our station or lets us panic or worry when things get tricky. While the majority of the time he is very calm, when he needs to give us a kick up the backside we have seen that. It is not the chucking of teacups but it is not nicey-nicey either. It is a controlled aggression.

“For a small person he puffs his chest out and lets you have it. When he does, because it isn’t commonplace, you sit back and think: ‘Wow.’ You know you have to buck your ideas up. His honesty is fantastic. His door is always open – and I have been at other clubs where the manager says the door is open and you go to knock on it and it’s ‘come back another day’.”

The combination of human and footballing qualities has struck a strong chord. Sidwell argues that Hughton is underrated because he does not like to make a managerial noise. Having played for the likes of Wenger, José Mourinho, Martin O’Neill and Gérard Houllier, Sidwell regards Hughton’s match‑day preparation as the most enjoyable he has come across.

“I have been lucky to work under some of the best managers this country has seen, and I would put him up the top with them. Because he doesn’t scream and shout from the rooftops and doesn’t like the spotlight on him that goes against him. People are starting to take note. If he continues at the top level who knows if a bigger job, or even the England job, will come?”

Whatever does come will be treated with the same measured, thorough, understated values.

The Guardian Sport



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.