Adrien Silva: ‘I Will Never Understand Fifa’s Decision. We’re Talking Seconds’

 Adrien Silva had to train alone in a field while appealing against Fifa’s decision to decline his registration following a deadline-day move to Leicester City. Photograph: Fabio de Paola for the Guardian
Adrien Silva had to train alone in a field while appealing against Fifa’s decision to decline his registration following a deadline-day move to Leicester City. Photograph: Fabio de Paola for the Guardian
TT

Adrien Silva: ‘I Will Never Understand Fifa’s Decision. We’re Talking Seconds’

 Adrien Silva had to train alone in a field while appealing against Fifa’s decision to decline his registration following a deadline-day move to Leicester City. Photograph: Fabio de Paola for the Guardian
Adrien Silva had to train alone in a field while appealing against Fifa’s decision to decline his registration following a deadline-day move to Leicester City. Photograph: Fabio de Paola for the Guardian

Adrien Silva is recalling when he was banned from playing after a Premier League club tried to sign him, only this episode has nothing to do with Leicester City and the deadline-day saga that ended with an international footballer running round a field to keep fit between talking to lawyers. Silva is rowing back to 2005 instead, when he was 15 and José Mourinho tried to talk him into joining Chelsea along with two other young Sporting Lisbon players.

“It was a very strange moment and I was so young,” Silva says. “To have this club approach me, especially when Mourinho comes to talk to you … at this time, we didn’t know why he came. But when the club wants something, they do everything. He came to see me in Portugal and we went there, to Chelsea, to see the training ground. Then we came back and it was a big, big situation with Sporting.”

Sporting were furious and, as well as making a complaint to Fifa about Chelsea, refused to allow Silva to train and play for them for two months. The other teenagers, Fábio Ferreira and Ricardo Fernandes, joined Chelsea and were both released four years later without playing a game. Silva, however, spoke to his parents and chose a different path, harbouring concerns that Chelsea “wanted to win now and not wait for young players”. That he went on to make 241 appearances for Sporting and become a Portugal international suggests he made the right call. “Thanks to God,” says Silva, smiling.

It is a timely story on the eve of Sunday’s FA Cup quarter-final against Chelsea but all the more so in the context of what happened last year, when Silva faced another enforced absence, after Fifa rejected Leicester’s application to register the midfielder because his £22m move from Sporting had missed the transfer deadline by 14 seconds. Barred from playing until January and initially prevented from training with the Premier League club, Silva spent six weeks living with his agent at the Marriott hotel in Leicester, where they exhausted every avenue, including taking his case to the court of arbitration for sport, to try to overturn a ruling that left him angry and upset.

“I had some injuries in my career but then you know why you don’t play and that’s part of football, so you can accept it,” Silva says. “But this situation wasn’t correct. It wasn’t correct because I was able to play physically and I didn’t do anything wrong to make this situation. I will never understand the decision of Fifa – even after Leicester had tried everything to change it. There is no protection for the players in this situation. The players are the most important, so why don’t [Fifa] think about that and make some exception? OK, if it is so many hours [after the deadline], but we’re talking about seconds here. So I think it was a very poor decision.”

This is Silva’s first national newspaper interview since joining Leicester and one of the things that comes across during an enjoyable hour in his company is that he was just as confused as everyone else when the window closed. Told that the media did not know for a while whether he was a Leicester or a Sporting player, Silva shakes his head, grins and replies: “Me neither.”

Sporting, however, appeared keen to provide some clarity. Within days Bruno de Carvalho, Sporting’s president, said: “The transfer of Adrien is already completed. Hopefully Leicester find a solution for him.” Those comments gave the impression that Sporting were washing their hands of any potential problems and, with that in mind, it is interesting to know whether Silva felt any frustration with how his former club acted. “Not with Sporting. With the president. And that’s different,” Silva says. “He tried, I think, to protect his club. But in football it’s more important when you represent a club to protect the human or the player.”

For all his annoyance with Fifa Silva admits to fearing the worst as soon as the window closed. “But after Leicester and my lawyers told me that we could make an appeal, I got my hopes up and I tried to keep my head right,” he explains. “I trained alone at the gym and on a field to try to keep my physical condition because I wasn’t allowed to train with the team.”

Establishing exactly why he found himself in this position is not easy, other than to say that negotiations were extremely complicated, with Silva making many concessions to Sporting in order to get the deal done. Leicester were committed to completing the transfer come what may and always maintained that the paperwork was uploaded on time, yet Fifa argued otherwise and refused to allow Silva to fast-track his appeal through Cas. So who, ultimately, is responsible? “We still don’t know,” Silva replies. “For me, I think Fifa the most. But I’m not worried about it now.”

There was one thought that troubled him more than any other as the fiasco rumbled on. Silva loves representing his country and was part of the Portugal team that defeated France to win Euro 2016. Suddenly he could see a World Cup on the horizon and his place in the squad in jeopardy. “Every day that was on my mind,” he says. “And that makes it worse. When I think about it, it was the worst moment for this to happen.”

In the end Silva decided he needed to have a joke at his own expense, to keep his spirits up if nothing else. When Leicester asked what shirt number he wanted, it was the perfect opportunity. “I was talking with my agent, Pedro, who was here with me for a month and a half at the hotel, supporting me every day – my wife and children couldn’t come because I didn’t have a home – and I said: ‘We have to play with this situation. Why not No 14?’”

The long-awaited debut, wearing that number, arrived on 1 January – Craig Shakespeare, the manager who signed him, had departed two months earlier – and Silva was given a rapturous reception as he came off the bench. “So many things were going through my mind,” he says. “But the main thought was: just play football. It’s my passion and it’s such a simple thing to do. But that day I felt like I wanted to eat the field!”

Silva breaks into laughter after making that last remark and it feels good to see him in a much happier place. On the pitch, he admits, he is still striving to get to his best but life is coming together in other respects. Margarida, his wife, gave birth to a baby girl last Sunday and four days later Silva celebrated his 29th birthday with a recall to the Portugal squad.

Margarida, Silva says, was a huge support to him throughout her pregnancy – he smiles as he checks that the word “hormonal” is correct in English – and he wants to express his gratitude to the rest of his family as well as a couple of players. “Matty James and Andy King – they helped me in every way. They kept pushing me when some days I was down. So they have been very good friends during those months.”

Sporting thanked Silva for his services by inviting him back to the stadium in October for a special tribute to a player who joined them at the age of 12, when he moved 400km away from his family in a country where he was still learning the language after growing up in France. “All those years came into my mind so it was very emotional,” says Silva, who was in tears on the pitch. “Sporting made me into a player but they also made me into a man, and they will always have a special place in my heart.”

It has obviously been a tough time for Silva and it is hardly surprising to hear him say that the deadline-day mix-up was the worst moment of his career. Yet he also sounds full of positivity as he looks to the future and pictures a perfect finale to the season. “I hope we can get past Chelsea and reach the FA Cup final,” Silva says, smiling. “And to go to the World Cup after, that would be the best way for it to end for me.”

The Guardian Sport



IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
TT

IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)

The Milano Cortina Olympics exceeded expectations despite a shaky build-up, IOC President Kirsty Coventry said on Friday, hailing the first spread-out Winter Games a success.

"These Games are truly ... successful in a new way of doing things, in a sustainable way of doing things, in a way that I think many people thought maybe we couldn't do, or couldn't be done well, and it's been done extremely well, and it's surpassed everyone's expectations," Coventry told a press conference.

It was the International Olympic Committee chief's clearest endorsement yet of a format that split events across several Alpine clusters rather than concentrating them in one host city.

Her assessment came after two weeks in which organizers sought to prove that a geographically dispersed Games could still deliver a consistent athlete experience.

The smooth delivery ‌comes after years ‌of logistical and political challenges, including construction delays at Milan’s Santagiulia Arena ‌and ⁠controversy over building ⁠a new sliding center in Cortina against IOC advice.

Organizers have also faced isolated disruptions during the Games, such as suspected sabotage on rail lines and protests in Milan over housing and environmental issues.

Transport concerns across the dispersed venues have been mitigated by limited cross-regional travel among spectators, though some competitors had to walk to the Cortina Curling Olympic Stadium in heavy snowfall that stopped traffic.

Central to the success of the Games, Coventry argued, was the effort to standardize conditions across multiple athlete villages despite the distances separating venues from Cortina d’Ampezzo to ⁠Livigno and Bormio.

Italian athletes’ performances also helped ticket sales, which amounted to ‌about 1.4 million.

"And the athletes are extremely happy. And they're happy ‌because the experiences that the MiCo (Milano Cortina) team and my team delivered to them have been the same," she ‌said.

Mixed relay silver medalist Tommaso Giacomel did, however, lament the fact there was no Olympic village near ‌the Antholz-Anterselva Biathlon Arena and that competitors were dotted around different hotels near the venue instead of in one place.

TWO OPENING CEREMONIES

Two opening ceremonies were held - the main one at Milan’s San Siro stadium and a more low-key parade on Cortina d’Ampezzo's Corso Italia, where athletes and spectators were within touching distance.

Feedback from competitors suggested the more intimate ‌settings had in some cases enhanced the Olympic atmosphere, Coventry said, taking the Cortina opening ceremony as an example.

The Zimbabwean, presiding over her first Games ⁠as IOC chief after elections in ⁠2025, framed Milano Cortina as proof of concept for future hosts grappling with rising costs and climate constraints, while acknowledging adjustments would follow.

"It allows us to really look at ourselves and look at the things that we have in place and how we're then going to make certain adjustments for the future," she said.

Beyond logistics, Coventry pointed to the broader impact of the Games, highlighting gender balance - with women making up 47% of competitors - and global engagement as marks of progress.

"But it's been an incredible experience and we're all very proud to have gender equity playing a big role in the delivery of the Games," she said, describing a "tremendous Games" in which athletes have "come together and shared in their passion".

With the closing ceremony in Verona approaching, Coventry said the focus would soon shift to a formal evaluation process, but insisted the headline conclusion was already clear.

"So we look forward to doing that and to learning from all the incredible experiences that I think all of the stakeholders have had across these Games, across these past two weeks," she said.


‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
TT

‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)

Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany has criticized José Mourinho for attacking the character of Vinícius Júnior after the Real Madrid star accused an opponent of racially insulting him during a Champions League match.

Benfica coach Mourinho suggested that Brazil forward Vinícius had incited Benfica's players with his celebrations after scoring the only goal in Tuesday's playoff match.

Vinícius accused Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni of calling him "monkey" during a confrontation after his goal.

Mourinho also questioned why Vinícius, who is Black and has been subjected to repeated racist insults in Spain, was so frequently targeted.

"There is something wrong because it happens in every stadium," Mourinho said. "The stadium where Vinícius played something happened. Always."

Speaking on Friday, Kompany condemned Mourinho's comments.

"So after the game you have the leader of an organization, José Mourinho, who attacks the character of Vinícius Júnior by bringing in the type of celebration to discredit what Vinícius is doing in this moment," Kompany said. "And for me in terms of leadership, it’s a huge mistake and it’s something that we should not accept."

Mourinho’s celebrations

UEFA appointed a special investigator on Wednesday to gather evidence about what happened in Lisbon in Madrid’s 1-0 win in the first leg of the Champions League playoffs. Madrid said it had sent "all available evidence" of the alleged incident to European soccer's governing body.

Referring to Vinícius' celebrations after curling a shot into the top corner, Mourinho said he should "celebrate in a respectful way."

Kompany pointed out Mourinho's own history of exuberant celebrations — such as when he ran down the sideline to cheer when his Porto team beat Manchester United in the Champions League.

Kompany said Mourinho's former players "love him" and added "I know he’s a good person."

"I don’t need to judge him as a person, but I know what I’ve heard. I understand maybe what he’s done, but he’s made a mistake and it’s something that hopefully in the future won’t happen like this again," he said.

Prestianni denied racially insulting Vinícius. Benfica said the Argentine player was the victim of a "defamation campaign."

‘Right thing to do’

Kompany said Vinícius' reaction "cannot be faked."

"You can see it — his reaction is an emotional reaction. I don’t see any benefit for him to go to the referee and put all this misery on his shoulders," he said. "There is absolutely no reason for Vini Junior to go and do this.

"I think in his mind he’s doing it more because it’s the right thing to do in that moment."

Kompany added: "You have a player who’s complaining. You have a player who says he didn’t do it. And I think unless the player himself comes forward, it’s difficult. It’s a difficult case."


FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
TT

FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP

FIFA will spearhead a $75 million fund to rebuild soccer facilities in Gaza that were destroyed by the war between Israel and Hamas, President Donald Trump and the sport's governing body said Thursday.

Trump made the announcement in Washington at the first meeting of his "Board of Peace," an amorphous institution that features two dozen of the US president's close allies and is initially focused on rebuilding the Gaza strip, said AFP.

"I'm also pleased to announce that FIFA will be helping to raise a total of $75 million for projects in Gaza," said Trump.

"And I think they're soccer related, where you're doing fields and you're getting the greatest stars in the world to go there -- people that are bigger stars than you and I, Gianni," he added, referring to FIFA president Gianni Infantino, who was present at the event.

"So it's really something. We'll soon be detailing the announcement, and if I can do I'll get over there with you," Trump said.

Later Thursday, FIFA issued a statement providing more details, including plans to construct a football academy, a new 20,000-seat national stadium and dozens of pitches.

The FIFA communique did not mention Trump's $75 million figure, and said funds would be raised "from international leaders and institutions."

Infantino has fostered close ties with Trump, awarding him an inaugural FIFA "Peace Prize" at the World Cup draw in December.

At Thursday's meeting, the FIFA president donned a red baseball cap emblazoned with "USA" and "45-47," the latter a reference to Trump's two terms in the White House.

In FIFA's statement, Infantino hailed "a landmark partnership agreement that will foster investment into football for the purpose of helping the recovery process in post conflict areas."

The "Board of Peace" came together after the Trump administration, teaming up with Qatar and Egypt, negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of devastating war in Gaza.

The United States says it is now focused on disarming Hamas -- the Palestinian group whose unprecedented October 7, 2023, attack on Israel triggered the massive offensive.