Despite Constitution Ban, Ba'ath Party Looms over Iraqi Elections

 Iraqi Parliament (File photo: AP)
Iraqi Parliament (File photo: AP)
TT

Despite Constitution Ban, Ba'ath Party Looms over Iraqi Elections

 Iraqi Parliament (File photo: AP)
Iraqi Parliament (File photo: AP)

The statement attributed to US Ambassador to Iraq Douglas Silliman on the possibility of Sunnis returning to rule Iraq nearly 15 years after the overthrow of the former Iraqi regime, caused widespread confusion among Shiite circles which fear the return of Baathists in various ways.

US Embassy in Iraq implicitly denied the statements attributed to the Ambassador, but this denial which was stated by the bureau of Speaker Salim Jubouri, has made things even more ambiguous because it was not issued by the embassy itself.

Later, the US embassy confirmed that "the United States does not support any side, whether a party or someone in the upcoming elections."

US assurances did not dissipate the fears expressed by many leaders at the Shiite community.

“Accountability and Justice” commission took several measures such as excluding a large number of elections candidates for the elections, most of which are members of “National Coalition” led by former Prime Minister Eyad Allawi, who is often accused that majority of his Sunni supporters are of the Baathist party.

Allawi’s spokesman Hussein al-Mousawi issued a statement saying that the exclusion of dozens of candidates of the National Coalition for the parliamentary elections is an unfair decision of the commission.

“It deprives some Coalition candidates from the opportunity of fair political competition, and violates the constitutionally guaranteed principle of equality among Iraqis,” added Moussawi.

The spokesman voiced the Coalition’s calls to resort the issue to the Iraqi judiciary to achieve justice, and away from politics, revenge, and extortion.

Independent politician Sami al-Askari said in a statement to Asharq Al-Awsat that there is no place for Baathists in political life, especially after the ban of Saddam's Baath party.

For its part, “Accountability and Justice” commission denied succumbing to any political pressure to pass some candidates for the upcoming elections, during the audit of their cases. It announced that a total of 4 percent of the total names nominated for the race were excluded.

Commission’s spokesman, Fares al-Bekoua, said that the commission’s duty is to accurately study everyone's case, adding “percentage of those excluded so far ranges between 3 and 4 percent of the total number of names presented to the Commission.”

Head of al-Sadiqun bloc MP Hassan Salim, political wing of League of Righteous, announced that many Baathist candidates will take part in the upcoming parliamentary elections, noting that some were also among the leaders of the sit-ins at the western provinces.

Independent Iraqi politician, Shaker Ketab, told Asharq Al-Awsat that most of those supported by the Baathists in previous elections proved their worthlessness, broke their agreements with the Baath and revealed that they are not qualified for any leadership or political position.

He added that Batth party can no longer adopt them because they brought bad reputation, in addition to what is already perceived of negative image about the party.

"I think that [Baath] presence this time is weaker than before," he said.

However, senior leader “Iraq United” and the former Nineveh governor, Atheel al-Nujaifi believes that Baathists were able to exploit the need for lists close to Shiite parties for the benefit of figures in Sunni areas and joined them.

"They have exploited the ability of these lists to exclude them from the Commission," added Nujaifi.



EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
TT

EU Exploring Support for New Gaza Administration Committee, Document Says

Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa
Palestinians push a cart past the rubble of residential buildings destroyed during the two-year Israeli offensives, in Gaza City, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

The European Union is exploring possible support for a new committee established to take over the civil administration of Gaza, according to a document produced by the bloc's diplomatic arm and seen by Reuters.

"The EU is engaging with the newly established transitional governance structures for Gaza," the European External Action Service wrote in a document circulated to member states on Tuesday.

"The EU is also exploring possible support to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza," it added.

European foreign ministers will discuss the situation in Gaza during a meeting in Brussels on February 23.


Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.