Ukraine Accuses Russia of Transporting Mercenaries to Syria

Russian soldiers in Syria’s Latakia province. (AFP)
Russian soldiers in Syria’s Latakia province. (AFP)
TT

Ukraine Accuses Russia of Transporting Mercenaries to Syria

Russian soldiers in Syria’s Latakia province. (AFP)
Russian soldiers in Syria’s Latakia province. (AFP)

The issue of "Russian mercenaries" fighting in Syria once again returned to the spotlight after Ukrainian special forces published details showing that the Russian army provided extensive facilities for transporting private fighters with their weapons to Syria.

Ukraine, which closely monitors the movements of Russian special forces fighters known as the Wagner Private Military Company (PMC), revealed its data as the US Congress discussed the case.

It listened to an extensive briefing two days ago by Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs Wess Mitchell on “attacks carried out by the mercenaries against US forces positions in Syria.”

Although he did not specify the nature or date of the attacks, it is clear that Mitchell was referring to the confrontation that took place near Deir al-Zour in February and resulted in the death and injury of hundreds of fighters from Russian private companies.

"[Russia’s] reckless intervention in Syria and support for the Assad regime has raised the risk of confrontation with the West," Mitchell said, adding that the "failed attack on US forces by Russian mercenaries recently in Syria was one sobering example of this behavior."

Earlier, Ukraine’s Security Service published results of an investigation conducted with a Russian military personnel, who was in Syria between 2015 and 2017.

He was detained two months ago while attempting to illegally cross the border into Ukraine. He told Ukrainian investigators that he was serving as a contractor on the Varyag missile cruiser from 2015 and 2017 and had regularly taken part in the transportation to Syria of members of the Wagner PMC and their heavy weapons and ammunition.

He noted that "a large number of packets similar to that of ammunition were loaded, but they told us that it is humanitarian aid."

"Army of Wagner" was first mentioned in 2015 right after Russia’s military intervention in Syria. Russian media at the time reported details of "special missions" of army members, who had previously fought alongside pro-Moscow separatists in eastern Ukraine.

Russian media also published details of an agreement signed between the Syrian regime and private companies in Moscow, run by Kremlin close associates, to carry out operations at oil sites in exchange for huge revenues estimated at a quarter of Syria's oil production.

But this private army received a hit by US forces in February when three units of about 1,000 members tried to approach an oil facility near Deir al-Zour. The US bombed the area, killing hundreds of the members, 217 of whom were part of the Wagner army.

Moscow initially denied any irregular military formations in Syria. Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova at the time described the information that Russian soldiers were killed by a US military strike as "misleading".

The Russian Foreign Ministry said citizens of Russia and the countries of the Commonwealth of Independent States were in Syria without the knowledge of the authorities of their countries.

But the ministry later admitted the US operation killed and injured dozens after details about the fighters and interviews with their families were published in Russian media.

The Russian Ministry of Defense denied Ukrainian security service information about using the Varyag cruiser to transport mercenaries to Syria

"Before spinning some tales, the illiterate bosses in Ukraine’s intelligence services should have consulted either the Ukrainian Naval command or their Western handlers," Russian Defense Ministry Spokesman Igor Konashenkov said on Wednesday.

Konashenkov stated that the Varyag guided missile cruiser was never called into Syria’s Tartus, explaining that its naval facility had no quays adequate for ships with such displacement to moor or dock.

"As for the alleged shipment of heavy weaponry, the Varyag’s design lacks cargo holds. The cruiser is neither meant nor built for the transportation of military equipment and other large-sized cargoes for military use," he stressed.



Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Military Says Soldier Killed in Gaza 

A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)
A drone view shows the destruction in a residential neighborhood, after the withdrawal of the Israeli forces from the area, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in Gaza City, October 21, 2025. (Reuters)

The Israeli military announced that one of its soldiers had been killed in combat in southern Gaza on Wednesday, but a security source said the death appeared to have been caused by "friendly fire".

"Staff Sergeant Ofri Yafe, aged 21, from HaYogev, a soldier in the Paratroopers Reconnaissance Unit, fell during combat in the southern Gaza Strip," the military said in a statement.

A security source, however, told AFP that the soldier appeared to have been "killed by friendly fire", without providing further details.

"The incident is still under investigation," the source added.

The death brings to five the number of Israeli soldiers killed in Gaza since a ceasefire took effect on October 10.


Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
TT

Syria: SDF’s Mazloum Abdi Says Implementation of Integration Deal May Take Time

People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman
People sit outdoors surrounded by nature, with the Tigris river flowing in the background, following a long atmospheric depression, near the Syrian-Turkish border in Derik, Syria, February 16, 2026 REUTERS/Orhan Qereman

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the Syrian Democratic Forces, said the process of merging the SDF with Syrian government forces “may take some time,” despite expressing confidence in the eventual success of the agreement.

His remarks came after earlier comments in which he acknowledged differences with Damascus over the concept of “decentralization.”

Speaking at a tribal conference in the northeastern city of Hasakah on Tuesday, Abdi said the issue of integration would not be resolved quickly, but stressed that the agreement remains on track.

He said the deal reached last month stipulates that three Syrian army brigades will be created out of the SDF.

Abdi added that all SDF military units have withdrawn to their barracks in an effort to preserve stability and continue implementing the announced integration agreement with the Syrian state.

He also emphasized the need for armed forces to withdraw from the vicinity of the city of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), to be replaced by security forces tasked with maintaining order.


Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
TT

Israeli Far-Right Minister to Push for ‘Migration’ of West Bank, Gaza Palestinians 

A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)
A Palestinian man checks leather belts as people prepare for Ramadan, in the old city of Hebron in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, February 17,2026. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said he would pursue a policy of "encouraging the migration" of Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip, Israeli media reported Wednesday.

"We will eliminate the idea of an Arab terror state," said Smotrich, speaking at an event organized by his Religious Zionism Party late on Tuesday.

"We will finally, formally, and in practical terms nullify the cursed Oslo Accords and embark on a path toward sovereignty, while encouraging emigration from both Gaza and Judea and Samaria.

"There is no other long-term solution," added Smotrich, who himself lives in a settlement in the West Bank.

Since last week, Israel has approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over the West Bank, including in areas administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo Accords, in place since the 1990s.

The measures include a process to register land in the West Bank as "state property" and facilitate direct purchases of land by Jewish Israelis.

The measures have triggered widespread international outrage.

On Tuesday, the UN missions of 85 countries condemned the measures, which critics say amount to de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.

"We strongly condemn unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel's unlawful presence in the West Bank," they said in a statement.

"Such decisions are contrary to Israel's obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed.

"We underline in this regard our strong opposition to any form of annexation."

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday called on Israel to reverse its land registration policy, calling it "destabilizing" and "unlawful".

The West Bank would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state. Many on Israel's religious right view it as Israeli land.

Israeli NGOs have also raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem's borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.

The planned development, announced by Israel's Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated northeast of Jerusalem in the West Bank.

The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.