Yemeni Minister: Iranian Houthi Militias Feel Defeat is Near

Houthis in Sanaa. (Reuters)
Houthis in Sanaa. (Reuters)
TT

Yemeni Minister: Iranian Houthi Militias Feel Defeat is Near

Houthis in Sanaa. (Reuters)
Houthis in Sanaa. (Reuters)

Iran-backed Houthi militias reinforced their security positions in the center of the Yemeni capital Sanaa after the Coalition to Support the Legitimacy launched raids targeting militia leaders at the presidential palace earlier this week.

The advances of the Yemeni National Army forces, backed by the Coalition, created confusion among Houthis, said a Yemeni governmental official.

Yemeni Minister of Information Muammar al-Aryani stressed that the army is achieving several victories in a number of Yemeni areas and on many fronts, saying Yemen is witnessing historic moments in its mission to restore legitimacy.

Aryani told Asharq Al-Awsat that a large numbers of militants have deserted their posts because they realize that the military battle is nearing its “final stage."

"The Iranian Houthi militias sense that defeat is near," asserted the minister.

The strikes in Yemen came after Saleh al-Sammad, the second in command among militia leaders, was killed by Coalition strikes last month. He was responsible for firing ballistic missiles, killing civilians, targeting maritime navigation and, consequently, threatening global security.

Yemeni political analyst Najib Gulab said the major Houthi losses reflect internal divisions among the militia ranks.

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that the Houthis’ current state of fear and anxiety has reached the extent of terror.

He said that many forces that run state institutions within the army, security and tribes no longer trust Houthis in wake of the death of former President Ali Abdullah Saleh.

After the targeting of Houthi political and field commanders during the past three months, the militants realized that they have been infiltrated, deepening the divisions among their ranks.

Gulab pointed out that Houthi militias know their ranks have been breached by Saleh’s allies.

Saleh was killed by the Houthis in December days after he announced that he was severing his alliance with them.



France, Germany, UK and Italy Condemn Israel's 'E1' West Bank Plan

A bulldozer prepares roads at the site of the former Israeli settlement of Kadim near the West Bank city of Jenin, 19 August 2026. EPA/ALAA BADARNEH
A bulldozer prepares roads at the site of the former Israeli settlement of Kadim near the West Bank city of Jenin, 19 August 2026. EPA/ALAA BADARNEH
TT

France, Germany, UK and Italy Condemn Israel's 'E1' West Bank Plan

A bulldozer prepares roads at the site of the former Israeli settlement of Kadim near the West Bank city of Jenin, 19 August 2026. EPA/ALAA BADARNEH
A bulldozer prepares roads at the site of the former Israeli settlement of Kadim near the West Bank city of Jenin, 19 August 2026. EPA/ALAA BADARNEH

France, Germany, Britain and Italy condemned on Thursday plans by Israel to open up construction tenders for a residential property project called 'E1' in the occupied West Bank.

"The decision by the Israeli government ⁠to publish bid offers ⁠for construction projects within the framework of the E1 settlers' project is unacceptable," said ⁠a joint statement by the leaders of those four countries.

"At a time of grave instability in the West Bank with unprecedented levels of violence by settlers against civilians, and serious restrictions on the Palestinian economy, this decision is even more concerning," said the statement, urging Israel "to retract these plans immediately and end its expansion of settlements in the West Bank."

Hundreds of thousands of Israelis have settled among millions of Palestinians in land captured by Israel in a 1967 war.

Nearly all ⁠countries ⁠and a range of UN bodies consider that such settlements violate international law.


Israelis Return to Last West Bank Settlement Closed over 20 Years Ago

15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Hebron: Israeli soldiers deploy in the Old City of Hebron in the West Bank, as Israeli settlers tour the area under their protection after forces closed roads and alleys, restricting the movement of Palestinian residents. Photo: Mamoun Wazwaz/APA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Hebron: Israeli soldiers deploy in the Old City of Hebron in the West Bank, as Israeli settlers tour the area under their protection after forces closed roads and alleys, restricting the movement of Palestinian residents. Photo: Mamoun Wazwaz/APA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
TT

Israelis Return to Last West Bank Settlement Closed over 20 Years Ago

15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Hebron: Israeli soldiers deploy in the Old City of Hebron in the West Bank, as Israeli settlers tour the area under their protection after forces closed roads and alleys, restricting the movement of Palestinian residents. Photo: Mamoun Wazwaz/APA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
15 August 2026, Palestinian Territories, Hebron: Israeli soldiers deploy in the Old City of Hebron in the West Bank, as Israeli settlers tour the area under their protection after forces closed roads and alleys, restricting the movement of Palestinian residents. Photo: Mamoun Wazwaz/APA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa

Israelis began moving into the occupied West Bank settlement of Kadim on Thursday, the local settler council said, the last of four communities from which Israel withdrew more than two decades ago to be repopulated.

It came a week after Israel officially reopened neighboring Ganim, in a move emblematic of the current government's policy of rapid settlement expansion in the occupied Palestinian territory.

The Samaria regional council, which administers Israeli settlements in the northern West Bank, described the return to Kadim as a "historic milestone".

"At this very moment, the families of the pioneering settler core are moving into Kadim, a community that was uprooted during the disengagement," it said in a statement.

It said that 30 families were moving to live permanently in the settlement, accompanied on Thursday by far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich and head of the Samaria regional council, Yossi Dagan.

Kadim is one of four Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank that Israel evacuated under former prime minister Ariel Sharon's disengagement plan in 2005, which also included abandoning all Israeli settlements in the Gaza Strip.

The move came partly because of their isolated location in the north of the West Bank, among many Palestinian cities and villages.

Under Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government, settlement construction and expansion have surged, including with the re-establishment of all four evacuated communities -- Ganim, Sa-Nur, Homesh and now Kadim.

"Twenty-one years after the crime of the expulsion from northern Samaria, today we have completed the rectification," Smotrich was quoted as saying in the statement on Thursday.

"These communities constitute a real security buffer for the entire State of Israel," he added, vowing to establish 19 settlements in the northernmost part of the West Bank.

Dagan said: "We have come home, and this time to stay and grow twentyfold."

"We are raising the flag again, closing the circle, and continuing to build Samaria with full force," he added, using the Biblical term for the northern West Bank.

Israel has occupied the West Bank since 1967. More than 500,000 Israelis live in settlements in the territory, which are illegal under international law, among some three million Palestinians.


Türkiye, Egypt, Qatar Condemn Israeli Attacks on Gaza, Call on Israel to Comply with Ceasefire Obligations

Palestinians carry the body of a person killed following an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City, 19 August 2026.EPA/MOHAMMED SABER
Palestinians carry the body of a person killed following an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City, 19 August 2026.EPA/MOHAMMED SABER
TT

Türkiye, Egypt, Qatar Condemn Israeli Attacks on Gaza, Call on Israel to Comply with Ceasefire Obligations

Palestinians carry the body of a person killed following an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City, 19 August 2026.EPA/MOHAMMED SABER
Palestinians carry the body of a person killed following an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City, 19 August 2026.EPA/MOHAMMED SABER

Türkiye, Egypt and Qatar on Thursday strongly condemned recent Israeli strikes in Gaza, saying in a joint statement that Israel must comply with its obligations under a ceasefire agreement and refrain from steps that could escalate tensions.

"The mediating countries underline that the intensification of Israeli attacks undermines regional and international efforts at a critical juncture, as intensive efforts are under way to implement the Comprehensive Plan to End the Gaza Conflict, including the meeting between the Board of Peace and Israeli officials, and constructive steps are being taken in the negotiation process," they said, Reuters reported.

The international community and Board of Peace must take the necessary steps to ensure compliance with the ceasefire and prevent further escalation, they added.